Windows 10: Boot from flash drive wants to install. Clean install or upgrade?

Discus and support Boot from flash drive wants to install. Clean install or upgrade? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC won't boot because it says it can't find the hard drive. I booted from a flash drive, but it wants to do an install. Is it going to wipe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Klaus, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Klaus Win User

Boot from flash drive wants to install. Clean install or upgrade?

My PC won't boot because it says it can't find the hard drive. I booted from a flash drive, but it wants to do an install. Is it going to wipe everything or just do an "upgrade"?

:)

Klaus, Mar 11, 2017

2. Windows 10 clean reinstall

I did a clean install of Windows 10 from a USB flash drive. I want to do a new clean install from the flash drive.

1. Boot order is CD, USB, then hard drive.

2. USB inserted.

3. PC laptop is force closed

4. When powered on, Windows just boots normally.

If I use the Reset my PC function with the USB installed, will I get the clean install I'm looking for? I've tried a number of different approaches, and I'm not getting into the Windows setup/install mode.

Thanks!

RangerDave409, Mar 11, 2017
  3. Windows 10 couldn't be installed....

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using setup."

It's a mystery to me-I do not have a flash drive installed.

Computer boots from my C Drive.

Upgrading from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

Any way to work around this?

I do not want to do a clean install.

Thanks for any ideas.

TomTiffany, Mar 11, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Dont understand that what cant find the HD the bios or other if its trying to install its finding a drive I assume?

Samuria, Mar 11, 2017
  5. Klaus Win User
    Apparently, yes, must be finding the HD. But which will it do - clean install or upgrade?

Klaus, Mar 11, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    What was saying it couldnt see the drive what happens when you try a normal boot?

Samuria, Mar 11, 2017
  7. Klaus Win User
    Like I said initially, with a normal boot it doesn't find the hard drive.

Klaus, Mar 11, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

so to be clear the bios reports this its not windows starting if you go into the bios it doesnt show it there?

Samuria, Mar 11, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Booting from a Windows 10 USB flash drive will do a clean install and wipe everything in at lease the Windows OS partition.

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    That's the default option, and it will wipe the disk and do a clean install. But you can also boot from the install USB to get to the Advanced Startup options.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option5
    You may also be able boot to the repair options without using the USB with Option Six from the above link.

Either way, one of the advanced startup options is Startup Repair. This may be able to fix your 'missing' hard drive problem and leave the original system intact.
    Startup Repair - Run in Windows 10

11. It will not touch the data partition.

Matthew Wai, Mar 11, 2017
  12. AddRAM Win User
    That`s exactly what Navy said, re read what he said.

He never said it would wipe a data partition.

AddRAM, Mar 11, 2017
  13. Boot from flash drive wants to install. Clean install or upgrade?

The phrase 'at least' sounds to me as if it might affect other partitions.

Matthew Wai, Mar 11, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    It depends on what the user specifies. I can wipe the entire drive including data and recovery partitions during Windows setup, or can just point it to a single partition to wipe. That is why I stated "at least"

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot from flash drive wants to install. Clean install or upgrade? - Similar Threads - Boot flash drive

2. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  3. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  4. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?

Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?: I want neither. I want a fix. I downloaded and put on USB that Microsoft thing designed for when you've got a BSOD or that BCD thing - when you're computer is in dire need of help. Lucky I did. Come home today and my computer is sitting there with a blue screen asking me...
  6. Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I Want Clean Install Or Upgrade?: I want neither. I want a fix. I downloaded and put on USB that Microsoft thing designed for when you've got a BSOD or that BCD thing - when you're computer is in dire need of help. Lucky I did. Come home today and my computer is sitting there with a blue screen asking me...
  7. Windows 10 clean installation from flash drive

Windows 10 clean installation from flash drive: I have an older HP laptop originally running Windows 7. I had upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade offer at W10 launch. I recently had to replace the hard drive and then used recovery discs specific to my computer. I wanted to re-install Windows 10 so I...
  8. Problem with clean install from flash drive

Problem with clean install from flash drive: My computer : Asus X205TA Pre installed 8.1 free upgrade 10 32 G SSD I attempted to clean install 10 version 1803. Does anyone know how I can complete the installation with no keyboard or network drivers. I have the...
  9. Best Flash Drive and GB's for installation after a clean install?

Best Flash Drive and GB's for installation after a clean install?: Hello Everyone, What flash drive do you recommend to get and the amount of GB's I would need to make a bootable flash drive for installing windows 10 or even making a backup image for that purpose? Thank you! 116210
  10. Clean install of W10 - Unable to boot from USB drive?

Clean install of W10 - Unable to boot from USB drive?: Hi all, first post, so hoping I'm in the right place :/ ... I'm literally pulling what hair I have left out with this, normally this is a routine task for me, but I'm well and truly stumped, so thought I'd ask a Windows 10 community ... I have Windows 10 Education x64,...