Windows 10: Boot from internal SD card to load Windows OS on to SSD

Discus and support Boot from internal SD card to load Windows OS on to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there. I'm sure it can be done - I'm sure there are some discussions on the Forums over this but I can't find them or the topic is quite old.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Feb 1, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Boot from internal SD card to load Windows OS on to SSD

Hi there.

I'm sure it can be done - I'm sure there are some discussions on the Forums over this but I can't find them or the topic is quite old.

I've got a Micro server with 4 HDD bays and the ability also to boot from an internal USB slot or micro SD card.

What I've done is added an SSD where I want my OS - there's a spare SATA connector so the SSD can be fitted in the space which was intended for a slimline DVD drive - and these days who needs a DVD on a SERVER !!!.

I saw somewhere that VHD's can be loaded at boot time and then you can run from the VHD. Is there a mechanism for getting the bootloader on to say the micro sd card which would then load the VHD on to the SSD which would run my OS.That way I can use all 4 HDD bays as data drives. The Microserver can only boot from internal (and 4 external) USB 2 ports, the micro SD card or the internal HDD bay1 or Bay 2. Can't boot from Bay 3 / 4, USB 3 ports or the internal spare SATA device if you run in AHCI mode - don't want RAID on this box.

Perhaps something like the old Grub4dos might do it -- anybody got an idea of how to get the boot to load the Windows OS on the VHD. I've no problem in creating the VHD to go on to the SSD.

Most Linux distros can start the bootloader anywhere and get it to load the OS to a specific drive but I really want to run Windows 10 or Windows 20012 server on this machine.

A windows to Go OS would work but I'd then have to plug the SSD into the internal USB port which rather negates the point of using an SSD in the first place !!!.

It must be doable as Windows PE often works similarly to this.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 1, 2016

2. Windows 10 installation on external hard drive

Hi,

I have Asus X205T EEEBOOK. Since the laptop doesn't have enough internal space, I installed windows 10 update in the memory card. Lately, I noticed that the boot time has increased substantially, possibly because earlier the Windows was loading from SSD
    and now it is using the memory card. Also I am not even sure if I can unplug the memory card from laptop.

Is it possible to move the OS to my internal SSD drive as I have created enough space by removing the old windows file.

Regards,

Kunal Jain

KunalJain1506, Feb 1, 2016
  3. Any way to boot the Nokia Booklet 3G from SD(HC) ?

Unfortunately booting solely from SD card is not possible in Booklet 3G. SD card controller is not USB device but attached to PCI bus. BIOS is able to boot only from USB devices. Some Netbooks have their SD card readers attached as USB devices thus allowing
    to boot from SD card similarly to any other USB stick.

The only way is to load enough of the OS from HDD/USB-stick to have PCI driver for SD card reader and then continue booting from SD card. For Linux that would mean that bootloader and /boot partition with initrd (having PCI SD card support) should be on
    HDD/USB medium and root partition can be in SD card. For Widows things are trickier. You;d have to read a lot about Windows PE and have a lot of time to craft the solution.

Anyway for OS to be stored on SD card you need to have extra boot partition on HDD or USB medium, that BIOS of Booklet is able to read.

myroslav---01, Feb 1, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

You might be able to create a wintousb drive which can put Windows on a standard usb flash drive in legacy bios mode (uses a vhd) using

Best Windows To Go Creator to create portable Windows 10/8.1/8/7!

I have done this on a fast cruzer extreme usb stick, with windows 10 Insider versions.

cereberus, Feb 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Boot from internal SD card to load Windows OS on to SSD - Similar Threads - Boot internal card

2. Internal SD Card Reader is not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal SD Card Reader is not detected: I have a Lenovo T450 laptop with Windows 7 installed and it has an internal SD card reader. I installed the drivers for it, which were on the Lenovo website, but it isn't being detected by Windows it doesn't show up in Device Manager and explorer. The files and utilities did...
  3. OS on Sd Card?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS on Sd Card?: Is it possible to use an OS (e.g. Linux/Android) also on a Sd card or only on a USB stick? OS auf Sd Card?
  4. TEAC Internal SD Card Reader

TEAC Internal SD Card Reader: Hello, After upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 10 Pro 32bit, the internal TEAC USB SD Card drive letters don't display in My Computer, however the drives are displaced in Device Manager. Thank you....
  5. sd card reader not loading card

sd card reader not loading card: Hello, ok sd card reader worked fine before upgrading to windows 10... now it detects the card being inserted opens explore... but the gives the error message "Please insert a disk into removable disk" What Ive done so far... 1. tried a few different sd cards they all...
  6. Internal SD card reader not working.

Internal SD card reader not working.: Hi, your help please. I have tried most everything I can think of plus following advice from the internet and MS own help site like updating the drivers / updates in general / troubleshooting and so on to get the reader to work but would seem since updating from W7 to...
  7. Loading an SD Card

Loading an SD Card: I Am wondering how to get my SD card to pop-up, it doesn't "plug n play" ....hmm? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/loading-an-sd-card/02739bb6-647d-4ead-83e3-c70af5cc3fa1
  8. @Kari Hyper-V boot from USB / Micro SD card to load OS from SSD

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    @Kari Hyper-V boot from USB / Micro SD card to load OS from SSD: Hi there Specially question for Kari -- I've added an SSD to a Microserver (HP gen 8) to the ODD slot. The Bios of this server in AHCI mode only allows boot from USB/Micro SD card or HDD's in slot 1/2. I want all 4 HDD's as data disks so I was wondering if I could use GRUB...
  9. How to initiate SSD boot from SD card?

How to initiate SSD boot from SD card?: Going a bit crazy trying to get my laptop to recognize a new NVMe SSD that I want to use in it. The Win 10 installer has no problem seeing & the laptop can access it. But the BIOS doesn't recognize the device.. so it's not bootable. I've tried just about every BIOS setting...
  10. Boot from SD card Reader?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from SD card Reader?: Hey guys/gals, need some help. We're having a discussion over at DP Review. It's a photography site, but they also have a PC Talk forum. Anyway there's a discussion thread - USB thumb drives vs Card Readers in which we're trying to figure out if Windows will boot from a...