Windows 10: Boot From USB/DVD

Discus and support Boot From USB/DVD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wynona, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Wynona Win User

Boot From USB/DVD

I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed!

HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI.

I want to start out dual booting Windows 8.1.1 Pro (already on laptop) with Windows 10. I have created a 100 GB (wound up 97.5 GB) partition and named it Windows 10. Using Terabyte Unlimited's BurnCDCC, I created a bootable DVD, but the laptop won't boot with it. So then I managed to get the bootable USB drive created. That won't boot the laptop either!

I watched a video on YouTube, which tells me to go to Settings>Change PC Settings>Update and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Restart Now, which is supposed to allow me to boot from the DVD or USB. Instead, I get: Continue; Troubleshoot; Turn off your PC. So I turn off the PC, turn it back on and I'm right back to the Lockscreen! With the DVD or the USB Drive. Sheesh!

I haven't a clue as to what to do next.

:)

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014

2. No "Run as admin" programs are working

What are you attempting to boot from, USB or DVD?

See how to configure your BIOS to boot from a USB or DVD:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/bios-uefi-setu...

Andre Da Costa, Oct 5, 2014
  3. Not able to activate Windows 10.

Insert the media, usb or dvd, and restart the computer. You must have your computer's boot order set to boot from usb or dvd.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 5, 2014
  4. Edwin New Member

Boot From USB/DVD

Hi Wynona,
    With USB inserted, restart your machine, AS SOON as you see the boot screen flash quickly press Esc, then choose the boot device and press Enter.
    (make note of the name/description of the usb device)

Edwin, Oct 5, 2014
  5. Kari Win User
    Hi Wynona, welcome to the Ten Forums.

When you turn your HP laptop on, you have a few seconds time to press the ESC key to enter the boot menu. Depending on the HP model you will see text something like "Press ESC to enter BOOT Menu", in my case (I have both HP Envy and ProBook laptops) my laptops show this text at bottom left corner, white text on black screen. Some HP models show it white on blue background.

Anyway, you have to press the ESC key during these couple seconds; after a short wait a BOOT menu will open:

Boot From USB/DVD [​IMG]

Select F9 to open a new menu showing all bootable drives the laptop finds, and select the drive you want to boot from.

Kari, Oct 5, 2014
  6. Wynona Win User
    Thanks, Kari. I had finally gotten that far, but could get no farther. Seems as how I remembered that I had to press the fn key and a number, which I did to no avail. After picking up the laptop and shining a flashlight onto the keyboard, I found the very, very, teeny, teeny, tiny, tiny function keys on the top row!

And the silly thing didn't want to pay any attention to the "esc" key, but after threatening to let StarFerret bite it, the BIOS came up and I'm ready to start my dual install.

Again, thank you very much.

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  7. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile.

Kari, Oct 5, 2014
  8. Wynona Win User

Boot From USB/DVD

I'm not out of the woods yet. *Sad

I'm told that Windows cannot be installed on a dynamic drive and that I've exceeded the number of dynamic drives.

There are four dynamic drives on the computer: C:\, HP Tools G:\, Recovery D:\ and System; plus the one I created and named Windows 10.

So far, I haven't figured out a way to get rid of the Windows 10 drive; I've deleted it and it turned to unallocated, but it's still there and is still dynamic. I could get rid of the HP Tools (G:\), but I'd probably still be in the same boat; the thing would just become unallocated dynamic.

Microsoft has so succeeded in protecting us from ourselves that we're pretty much crippled as far as doing anything for ourselves.

Ubuntu is looking better and better . . .

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  9. AddRAM Win User
    You don`t have 4 Dynamic drives, you have 1 Drive with 4 partitions and the drive was made Dynamic when you made the 5th partition.

You have to turn your hard drive back to basic, it can be done with Partition Wizard.

How to convert dynamic disk to basic disk with Partition Wizard magic partition manager?

Could you please post a shot of Disk Management.

I think you would be better off installing the TP to a Virtual Machine, before you render your laptop useless.*Wink

AddRAM, Oct 5, 2014
  10. Wynona Win User
    You're right, of course; one drive with several partitions. And the beauty of this particular project is that if I hose the laptop, I can always start over, since it's an extra, more or less.

Boot From USB/DVD [​IMG]

Here's the shot of Disk Management. I'll be back in the morning when I'm really awake. *Smile

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  11. Wynona Win User
    Well, the Home Edition of Partition Wizard doesn't support changing from dynamic to basic. Sigh . . .

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  12. Wynona Win User
    Stick a fork in me; I'm done! Well, almost. I have learned a whole lot through this experience and I'll do several things:

1. I will be shopping for a "name brand" all around disk management tool that will allow me to do what I need to do without costing an arm and a leg. Hopefully! I am open to suggestions and to understanding what I will need in a disk management tool.

2. I will change the dynamic back to basic with Microsoft's management tool now that I know what can happen! I may even learn to use it. Whoops! I just found EaseUS Partition Manager by accident, so I may give that a try, since it has a trial version.

3. For now, since this laptop is an "extra" that I don't use very much, I'll just wipe it and start over with Windows 10. It's a test machine anyway.

4. Once I get Windows 10 on this 15.6" laptop, I will set up the 17" HP Pavilion laptop as a dual boot. I won't make the same mistakes twice! I will definitely make sure I have less than four drives when I'm done.

5. And finally, it's 9:40 AM and the sky is darker than dark. Looks like we may get a tad bit wet before long. Don't guess I'll be painting the new back porch we built.

This issue is far from solved, but I know what I have to do next, so should I mark it solved or not? *Redface

Wynona, Oct 5, 2014
  13. Edwin New Member

Boot From USB/DVD

Keep it open, (unsolved), and post your results from time to time. *Smile

(P.S.: Don't perform an install during a thunderstorm!) *Wink

Edwin, Oct 5, 2014
  14. Tony K Win User
    Just a thought and suggestion, Wyn. That must be a 350GB HD you have there. I see the C partition is 89% full. Must be a lot of pics and/or vids? If so, could you free up space there by storing those on an exterior so to shrink the C for another partition for 10?

Tony K, Oct 5, 2014
  15. badrobot Win User
    Since it is a test machine, keep it that way and do suggested fix until you get it right. You will learn a lot from it.

badrobot, Oct 5, 2014
Thema:

Boot From USB/DVD

1. Boot From USB/DVD - Similar Threads - Boot USB DVD

2. Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD: Hi all, I currently have the "Your PC needs to be repaired" error so I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 completely. I used Microsoft's bootable media to create both a bootable USB and DVD (I also tried using Rufus to format it) but both don't seem to boot properly. When I...
  3. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from a DVD?: I got a new computer but when I put a bootable DVD it won't boot from it, it just goes back into windows 10? What can I do to make it boot from my DVD? 162249
  4. Boot from a DVD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a DVD?: How can I boot from a DVD? 162257
  5. Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB: I tried to restart my 'backup' PC , after a couple of weeks off , and got a message saying "The PC has run into a problem and we will restart it" It then says Preparing Automatic Repair before setting off into a repeat cycle, i tried to boot from a USB Recovery and a DVD with...
  6. New PC will not boot from USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New PC will not boot from USB or DVD: I am building a new PC and, when I try to boot the machine from either a USB created by the Media Recovery tool, or from the proper Windows 10 DVD that I bought, the machine simply goes to BSOD and gives me error codes, mostly SYSTEM PTE MISUSE or PAGE ERROR FOUND IN...
  7. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  8. Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD': I have a new HP X360 14-ba151sa with Insyde BIOS. Yesterday I created a Macrium recovery disk, went into BIOS and moved USB CD/DVD to top of the list, F10 and exit. The system booted from DVD OK. Today, I wanted to boot from the DVD again, but this time the little arrow is...
  9. UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails: Hi On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed."...
  10. Can't boot from usb dvd

Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...