Windows 10: Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

Discus and support Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by George BuchananCraig, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is woeful and it has failed me so far after about 3 days work. I have tried creating a recovery drive, it fails, I have tried creating a disk image, it fails, I have tried mirroring it fails. I have tried my patience. I will say on three other machines this ha never worked for me so I must be missing some thing. Previously I have re-installed and this time I have bought a new machine. I need to know how to protect against this in the future. This is absolutely drivel.

:)

George BuchananCraig, Jul 23, 2018

2. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is
    woeful and it has failed me so far after about 3 days work. I have tried creating a recovery drive, it fails, I have tried creating a disk image, it fails, I have tried mirroring it fails. I have tried my patience. I will say on three other machines this ha
    never worked for me so I must be missing some thing. Previously I have re-installed and this time I have bought a new machine. I need to know how to protect against this in the future. This is absolutely drivel.

George BuchananCraig, Oct 14, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

You don't need to re-install anything.

Most new retail hard drives include image backup software and instructions on how to use it. When you make an image backup, you are making an exact copy of the entire hard drive that you will restore to the new hard drive. Nothing changes, your computer
    simply moves from the left pocket to the right pocket.

BulldogXX, Oct 14, 2018
  4. El_Mayo Win User

Need help installing a new hard drive

Basically what I'm saying is I want to install windows onto my new hard drive and boot from it
    But for windows 7 to recognize that it's a two drive system, as opposed to just replacing the old hard drive entirely with a new one

El_Mayo, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive - Similar Threads - Boot hard drive

2. Changing boot hard drive for new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing boot hard drive for new pc: I boot my current system with Windows 10 Pro on a 2.5 SSD. The license is activated with a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account. I want to move to a barebones system so that I can upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for free. This would involve using my existing boot SSD with...
  3. Changing boot hard drive for new pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing boot hard drive for new pc: I boot my current system with Windows 10 Pro on a 2.5 SSD. The license is activated with a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account. I want to move to a barebones system so that I can upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for free. This would involve using my existing boot SSD with...
  4. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  5. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  6. Hard drive failed; need help re-installing Windows on new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive failed; need help re-installing Windows on new one: My old hard drive failed and I've ordered a new one. I know that it won't have Windows installed on it. Since my computer was running Windows 10, if I get an install disc for Windows 10 will my computer be able to recognize that I've already had it installed with a key...
  7. How to Boot into a hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Boot into a hard drive: Hi, So I installed windows on a hard drive, I just don't know how to boot into that hard drive. I went into boot options, I tried every single option and it just says, "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY." I tried...
  8. Trouble with hard drives and boot drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble with hard drives and boot drives: I've recently built a pc with a 120gb ssd and a 6tb hard drive. My goal was to have my system and boot drive on my ssd and then use the 6tb as storage, but when I installed windows the boot drive went onto my hard drive. Because it has been partitioned as an MBR drive I only...
  9. Hard re-boot

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hard re-boot: Can you stop a hard re-boot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-re-boot/fe74088e-fa24-4279-ae17-2190a1d431aa"
  10. Cant boot hard drive!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant boot hard drive!: So I had an old system but it was in very good shape so I thought I would transfer my old hard drive into my father's system....we were trading systems so we swoped the hard drive out and I put mine in his....but I went to boot it up and it pops up with reboot and select...