Windows 10: Boot into safe mode in Win 10?

Discus and support Boot into safe mode in Win 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way to boot into Win 10 in a safe mode? The reason I ask is I am having trouble in normal mode trying to get rid of my win.old file. It will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DJ Steve, Sep 23, 2015.

1. DJ Steve Win User

Boot into safe mode in Win 10?

Is there a way to boot into Win 10 in a safe mode? The reason I ask is I am having trouble in normal mode trying to get rid of my win.old file. It will let me delete some of it but not all. So maybe in safe mode I can delete it all or am I missing something here?

TIA

:)

DJ Steve, Sep 23, 2015
  2. Hip3zioed Win User

How can I boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10

I meant to say what is the difference between net user administrator and Administrator?

Hip3zioed, Sep 23, 2015
  3. How can I boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10

You can boot into safe mode in 3-4 ways

1-Type msconfig in run>go to the boot tab>check safe mode

2-Hold down the shift key and click restart

3-from the advanced boot menu>type msconifg......

You configuration should be net user administrator active:yes (note the spaces)

Boot into safe mode in Win 10? [​IMG]

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Sep 23, 2015
  4. eddard Win User

eddard, Sep 23, 2015
  5. Windows old will delete after one month from when you upgraded in mine there is only 2 dead folders and in another week I can run an uninstaller to get rid of them if they don't delete themselves they are there in case you want to go back to the OS you updated from

hTconeM9user, Sep 23, 2015
  6. eddard Win User
    I had read this elsewhere, but 6 weeks after I upgraded my laptop to Win. 10, the windows old file was still there. I finally removed it completely using the native disc cleanup and additionally selecting "remove old operating systems". Even then, Windows 10 warned me that removing that folder would prevent returning to Windows 8.1.

eddard, Sep 24, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    The simplest way I know of is to click on Settings, then Power. Hold down the Shift key and click Restart.

That's it.

Edit: I also tried enabling Legacy boot menu and that enables the F8 key at boot time.
    See here: Startup Options - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

These all say Windows 8 or 8.1 but they work for 10 as well.

No other side effects I can see though I wonder if this will have an effect on EFI system as far as booting is concerned.

Ztruker, Sep 25, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

Windows.old folder should be deleted using Disk cleanup, not just by deleting it.

CountMike, Sep 25, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Open Admin command prompt. Copy and paste the line below and run. It will run Disk Cleanup in extended mode. Put a check mark on everything except "Setup Log Files":

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35

NOTE:
    A popup warning for confirmation to delete Windows.old that you cannot roll back to previous Version of Windows. Answer Yes

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot into safe mode in Win 10? - Similar Threads - Boot safe mode

2. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  3. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  4. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Win 10 boots to Safe Mode after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 boots to Safe Mode after updates: When I installed the April 2022 Windows updates and did a restart, Windows 10 64-bit came up in Safe Mode. I tried various things and rebooted several times, but it always came up in Safe Mode. Thanks to a user in this community, I figured out how to turn off Safe Mode using...
  6. Win 10 boots to Safe Mode after updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 boots to Safe Mode after updates: When I installed the April 2022 Windows updates and did a restart, Windows 10 64-bit came up in Safe Mode. I tried various things and rebooted several times, but it always came up in Safe Mode. Thanks to a user in this community, I figured out how to turn off Safe Mode using...
  7. Win 10 boots to Safe Mode after updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Win 10 safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 safe mode: Hello, suddenly my laptop black screen, 1. Try to login repairing system, but keep on saying wrong PW , I reset my hotmail PW -> wrong, and unable reset login PW. 2. Try start at safe mode, but pop message The system detected an overrun of stuck-based buffer in this...
  9. Boot in Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot in Safe mode: I got stuck in safe mode , when i tried to choose any option from troubleshoot it ask me for the password and i am entering the right password it is not accepting my password and its not booting my laptop with network mode , i have done couple of things thatis already on...
  10. safe mode issue with win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    safe mode issue with win 10: start up a computer with a safe mode win and can not back to the regular desk top mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-mode-issue-with-win-10/7d49da3c-fc39-4066-bfc3-17e71da9d523