Windows 10: Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive

Discus and support Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am really really frustrated and could use any help anyone can give. My computer is a Dell XPS8300 with the last BIOS they put out for this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by friedmal, Jun 9, 2016.

1. friedmal Win User

Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive

I am really really frustrated and could use any help anyone can give.

My computer is a Dell XPS8300 with the last BIOS they put out for this system...

I have a Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000) drive that is setup GPT and had 2 partitions on it (D:, E*Smile and worked fine in Windows 7.

1. The windows 10 upgrade check said all was good
    2. After the windows 10 upgrade, I could only get to the first partition on this drive (D*Smile
    3. I thought maybe there was corruption on the 2nd partition on drive. caused by the upgrade
    4. Since I had a backup, I decided to repartition the whole drive again
    5. This caused a boot loop (login screen never came up, and repair tools could not fix)
    6. The only way to solve was to either physically remove the drive or to remove the partitions from the drive
    7. Right now I am stuck with the drive in my system, unpartitioned to be able to use *Sad

What am I missing here? How do I get to use this drive?

:)

friedmal, Jun 9, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

Windows 10 Automatic Startup Repair not Repairing Startup

Hi,

Are the drives over 2TB Boot drives ?

My understanding is that Windows will not allow a partition over 2TB without using GPT... You can use the drive as a MBR, but nothing over 2TB will be recognized...

And that is for DATA drives... boot drives are even more strict, and can vary a bit depending on the machines BIOS capabilities...

There are utilities that will enable a over 2TB drive to be utilized in Legacy Bios, but I'm certain that won't work with a boot drive...

As far as your current drive... If it was working before, it may be that the BIOS setting got changed somehow... You would know that better than I...

If the 4TB has your windows installation on it, you have a bit of a problem...

UEFI requires a EFI boot partition as well as the OS partition... If the drive has never been UEFI it won't have one...

One thing you might try is to make a image of the drive or the OS partition, and possibly Recovery partition... EFI as well if it exists...

Then delete what is on the 4TB drive, re-initialize it as a GPT, set your BIOS to UEFI, restore the image to the 4TB drive...

You will then probably need to do some Automatic Startup Repairs, Boot Repairs, and\or etc...

Let me know more of your setup and I may be able to help more...

slance310, Jun 9, 2016
  3. JohnPHugg Win User
    Stroage Space using ext drives and win 10 64bit

Both were originally formatted as NTFS with GUID partition table. The 4TB was a single partition and the 1.5TB was a single partition. I then tried formatting the 4TB with two partitions and a single partition on the 1.5TB drive and the setup still failed
    saying they were not supported.

JohnPHugg, Jun 9, 2016
  4. Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive

Have you tried to format using MBR?

oldtraveler, Jun 10, 2016
  5. friedmal Win User
    If you format MBR you only get 2TB of the 4 TB. You have to format GPT in order to be able to utilize the entire space on disks above 2TB from my understanding...

friedmal, Jun 10, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Is that true if you partition it into two 2GB parts?

Ztruker, Jun 11, 2016
  7. friedmal Win User
    Yes. If you use MBR you will only be able to create a single 2 TB partition on a 4 TB drive.

friedmal, Jun 11, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive - Similar Threads - Boot loop partitioning

2. Slow boot after change in partition type of drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow boot after change in partition type of drive: I had dual boot configuration with windows 10and Ubuntu. But recently, I had some error due to which I was unable to boot in windows. Therefore, I had to remove ubuntu and I had used windows installation media tool to change patition typesome MPT or GBR stuff. The issue was...
  3. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  4. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  5. Boot setup is not working after deleting drive C partition and reserve partition.

Boot setup is not working after deleting drive C partition and reserve partition.: Hi, I bought dell laptop inspiration 3542 model with 2GB ram and 500GB hard disk 3-4 years ago. After installing windows 10 1803,1809,1903,1909. It smoothly works but after 1-2 days, blue screen error occurs many times and computer freezes in black screen. I inserted...
  6. Boot setup not working after deleting the drive partitions.

Boot setup not working after deleting the drive partitions.: Hi, I bought dell laptop inspiration 3542 model with 2GB ram and 500GB hard disk 3-4 years ago. After installing windows 10 1803,1809,1903,1909. It smoothly works but after 1-2 days, blue screen error occurs many times and computer freezes in black screen. I inserted...
  7. Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extra partitions after SSD boot drive upgrade: I upgraded my SSD boot drive from a 128GB to Samsung 850 Pro 256GB. I used the Samsung Migration Tool as instructed. Now I seem to have an new FAT32 100MB partition, a new OTHER 16MB partition, a missing OTHER 128MB partition and a non functioning and I believe much smaller...
  8. New 4TB drive install..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New 4TB drive install..: Hi, I have a HP Pavilion 23 all in one PC (23-f221ea) and the 1TB hard disk is getting rather full.. I want to change for say a 4TB drive, I know that I can’t clone my 1TB drive to the 4TB drive using something like Acronis as max is 2TB and the new 4TB drive will have to...
  9. No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive: Hey all, It's an age old story, probably.. I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success creating a repair disk for 7 with USB3 drivers (I'm on Z170 chipset). So I decided I should finally jump into Win10 as I reserved...
  10. Recovery boot loop caused by Lost Boot Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery boot loop caused by Lost Boot Partition: Hello. I have been dualbooting OS X and Windows 8 (then 10) using Clover bootloader for over 2,5 years now. It's not ideal, but it works, or worked, up until today. After restarting from OS X to boot into W10 I got the "infinite spinner", which then (after rebooting) turned...