Windows 10: Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails

Discus and support Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; About a week ago update keep saying an update failed due to lack of drive space so I fixed the issue. After that the update went through but keep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by djoatmeal, Jan 26, 2018.

1. djoatmeal Win User

Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails

About a week ago update keep saying an update failed due to lack of drive space so I fixed the issue. After that the update went through but keep failing and the pc would boot and remove the update. The pc was working normally otherwise. I have been extremely busy with work so ignored the issue hoping to resolve it this weekend however yesterday I came home to the pc endlessly rebooting. Just before the reboot the windows logo appears and then a message pops up saying restoring your previous version of windows. I have read many threads about the issues people are having but didn't find any that offered up a fix for mine. Spoke with MS Support and the best they could do with tell me to reinstall the OS.

Win10 64bit
    I5 CPU
    Gigabyte mobo

System Restore fails
    Startup repair fails
    Go back to previous build fails
    No option to get into safe mode that I can find

I can boot from Ubuntu CD and pc is working properly.

Can anyone offer any ideas? Thank you in advance.

:)

djoatmeal, Jan 26, 2018

2. Windows 10 version 1709 blue screen

for my machine yes I get inaccessible boot device but both machines go through startup repair, startup repair fails, and then you are given the option to reboot or advanced features. Rebooting in safe mode gets the same results startup repair, fails, reboot
    or advanced features. The only thing to break the loop is either use system restore and go back to restore point or reset pc.

MichaelWoomer, Jan 26, 2018
  3. Unrecoverable Windows 10 crash

Windows 10 has crashed now after several months of working fine, although slow on my old Acer PC

Cannot recover, restore or boot to any safe mode. Every option I select on the Windows 10 recovery options screen fails. I tried to restore to an earlier version, I tried to boot to safe modes, tried to repair/restore...every option just brings me back to
    the same repair screen.

Are there any options for me to recover? or options on how to access my data?

BruceBornick, Jan 26, 2018
  4. Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please execute below command and reboot your computer to see issue resolves.

Code: DISM /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions[/quote] Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  5. djoatmeal Win User
    Using win10 64bit install disk to get to cmd prompt bcdedit results in:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The requested system device cannot be found.

djoatmeal, Jan 26, 2018
  6. djoatmeal Win User
    Forgot to mention that I had previously run bootrec /fixmbr -it reported success but still continued to boot loop.

djoatmeal, Jan 26, 2018
  7. Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below commands into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following commands will repair Master Boot Record (MBR), Boot Sector and BCD Store.

Code: Bootrec /FixMbr Bootrec /FixBoot Bootrec /ScanOS Bootrec /RebuildBcd[/quote]

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  8. djoatmeal Win User

bootrec /fixmbr = success
    bootrec /fixboot =success
    bootrec /scanos =success 1 Windows installation E:\Windows
    bootrec /rebuildbcd =scanned and found E:\Windows then asked to add to boot list. I said Yes and it responded with "The requested system device cannot be found"

djoatmeal, Jan 26, 2018
  9. We need to rebuild BCD data store.

Since the BCD store exists and lists a Windows installation, you'll first have to "remove" it manually and then try to rebuild it again. At the prompt, execute the bcdedit command as shown and then press Enter:

bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup

The bcdedit command is used here to export the BCD store as a file: bcdbackup. There's no need to specify a file extension.

The command should return the following on screen:

The operation completed successfully.

Meaning the BCD export worked as expected.

Execute below command to point Command Prompt to C: drive.

c:

At this point, you need to adjust several file attributes for the BCD store so you can manipulate it. At the prompt, execute the attrib command exactly like this:

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

What you just did with the attrib command was remove the hidden, read-only, and system attributes from the file bcd. Those attributes restricted the actions you could take on the file. Now that they're gone, you can manipulate the file more freely - specifically, rename it.

To rename the BCD store, execute the ren command as shown:

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

Now that the BCD store is renamed, you should now be able to successfully rebuild it.

Try rebuilding the BCD again by executing the following, followed by Enter:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Restart your computer after rebuilding the BCD store.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  10. djoatmeal Win User
    bcdedit /export =failed the requested system device cannot be found after trying to use both C and E as the drive.

Since I can see the files and folders when booted with Ubuntu can I do this step manually?

djoatmeal, Jan 26, 2018
  11. djoatmeal Win User
    Booting from the Ubuntu disk I have done a search of the SSD containing Windows and find the following locations contain a file named "BCD":

$Windows.~BT/Sources/Rollback/Boot last modified yesterday
    $GetCurrent/media/boot last modified in Sept
    $Windows.~BT/boot last modified in Sept
    $Windows.~BT/Efi/microsoft/boot last modified in Sept
    $Windows.~BT/Sources/Rollback/BootStat last modified yesterday

djoatmeal, Jan 26, 2018
  12. From Command Prompt execute below commands:

Code: Diskpart List disk List volume [/quote]
    If yo can please post a screenshot of these commands and there outputs.

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  13. djoatmeal Win User

Diskpart = on computer : MININT-GH7ALTS and changed the prompt to DISKPART>

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn GPT
    Disk 0 online 111GB O B blank blank
    Disk 1 online 931GB 117 GB blank *

before all this mess started the primary disk had about 14GB free if I remember correctly.

djoatmeal, Jan 26, 2018
  14. Were you installing Windows 10 Fall Creator Update version 1709?

Is the Disk 0 where Windows is installed?

FreeBooter, Jan 26, 2018
  15. djoatmeal Win User
    I don't know what update was going through. It was set.to Automatic.

Yes 0 is Windows. 0 free space is obviously an issue.

djoatmeal, Jan 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails - Similar Threads - Boot loop update

2. Stuck in boot loop after failed updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in boot loop after failed updates: ASUS GL10 / Windows 11About 4-5 days ago I performed a scheduled Windows Update as well as an ASUS Firmware update. On restart after update, the pc failed to boot and would loop into a blue screen reading there was a crash. I booted into troubleshoot with F12, tried to delete...
  3. Stuck in boot loop after failed updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in boot loop after failed updates: ASUS GL10 / Windows 11About 4-5 days ago I performed a scheduled Windows Update as well as an ASUS Firmware update. On restart after update, the pc failed to boot and would loop into a blue screen reading there was a crash. I booted into troubleshoot with F12, tried to delete...
  4. Update Failed - Restoring Loop at Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Update Failed - Restoring Loop at Startup: Was unsure about using BSOD or Update Errors, so I ask here in "General" Can't get to Windows to give you the version number You have my system details except for "motherboard" - maybe that is why it keeps asking? Anyway, my local vendor told me I needed a new hard disk. I...
  5. Windows 10 Failed Update - Wont Boot Looping, No Safe Mode, No Recovery Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Failed Update - Wont Boot Looping, No Safe Mode, No Recovery Mode: Hi, I installed, or tried to, a Windows update last night, and the update failed. Now windows wont boot, at all. It will show the windows icon, then loop around. The loop is maybe 1.5 seconds long, if that, and it doesn't make it past the original boot screen. It wont...
  6. Safe Mode fails and unable to boot.

Safe Mode fails and unable to boot.: While trying to install a new graphics card driver I selected via msconfig to reboot in safe mode. However upon rebooting came up with error : SYSTEM THREAD EXEMPTION NOT HANDLED - mssecflt.sys. Needless to say I used most of the advanced options and still no joy, meaning no...
  7. Unable to get out of windows10 safe mode as the startup repair failed and in loop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to get out of windows10 safe mode as the startup repair failed and in loop: Hi Team, My Windows 10 on lenovo got stuck in blue screen and i tried to enter to safe mode and deleted few updates. After which i entered restart but the system did not restart and i had to shut it down. In safe mode i did not turn off the safe boot option and restarted...
  8. Windows 10 Update failed - now trapped in 'startup repair' loop and no access to 'safe mode'...

Windows 10 Update failed - now trapped in 'startup repair' loop and no access to 'safe mode'...: A neighbor's PC was recently upgraded to what I presume to be the version 1903 update, but upon rebooting, it began the 'startup repair' loop I've seen described here as well as in other sources. Unfortunately, whatever corrupted the boot process has also made it impossible...
  9. Failed to boot into safe mode and USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed to boot into safe mode and USB: Hello, I haven't used my laptop in a few months. I booted it up today and got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (It did not hit the login screen). System Restore, Startup Repair and Go back to previous version all encountered an error and failed. sfc /scannow ended with...
  10. Automatic repair loop, no safe mode, no system restore

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic repair loop, no safe mode, no system restore: I'm not sure if this is the right section for this thread, if not I apologize. A couple of nights ago my computer was in the process of going to sleep and it decided instead it wanted to crash. I restarted it the next morning and was greeted by the screen telling me that...