Windows 10: Boot Menu Problem

Discus and support Boot Menu Problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have my Dell laptop configured to show a boot menu with three options for three seconds before booting Windows 10. The options are boot Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve C, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Steve C Win User

Boot Menu Problem

I have my Dell laptop configured to show a boot menu with three options for three seconds before booting Windows 10. The options are boot Windows 10 normally, boot Window 10 Safe Mode and boot to Macrium Reflect Recovery (see below).

I updated the BIOS a few days ago since Dell have a new version to counter the Spectre vulnerability.

I now find that sometimes after counting down three seconds that the boot menu just hangs at the boot screen until I press the Enter key. Does anyone know why I'm having this issue and how to solve it?

Boot Menu Problem [​IMG]

:)

Steve C, Mar 15, 2018
  2. Reddygp Win User

Boot menu problem

I have reinstalled windows 10 in my lenovo yoga 500 laptop, but i can't see anything after signing in. My laptop have black screened out, then i used system recovery process then it did well till the recovery part and then it asked for shutdown or reboot,
    i selected reboot and then i can't see anything.

Before this when i tried to boot menu it didn't work, so i used system recovery. Please help me to solve this.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

Reddygp, Mar 15, 2018
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Boot menu problem

What is your network adapter? If it is Qualcomm then you need to use a USB adapter and disable the Qualcomm adapter in Device Manager.

Unless you can get the Internet you can not get past the logon screen.

lacrumb, Mar 15, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

Boot Menu Problem

Highlight the Macrium Reflect Recovery and the Safe Mode boot options under msconfig and Delete them from the boot order.
    Or set the C: current OS as Default (see Attached)

spunk, Mar 15, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    Do you mean delete them then reinstate them? I'd like to keep the boot menu which is useful.

Steve C, Mar 15, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Seems a perfectly reasonable idea- process of elimination.
    If you find your symptom is resolved, it's easy to reinstate them, one at a time, and retest. If the problem relates to one only, you can leave the other. Then focus on further questions (e.g. to Macrium?).

If eliminating those has no effect - then the conclusion must be your symptom's most likely not related to them- and you can reinstate them.

Thing is, those being there may be something not tested by the people who made the change, as it's not a typical scenario.

Worth trying.

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  7. Steve C Win User
    It seems the insertion of the Reflect boot menu option sometimes causes the boot screen to hang. Does anyone else have this issue which may be a bug?

Steve C, Mar 16, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

Boot Menu Problem

I don't know if I do, but I might. I'm going to edit my boot menu and see if that changes my current boot hang issues. Never really thought this might be causing some recent strange boot hang behavior on my Dell Venue Pro 11 7130, but shoot! That just might be it. Whether it fixes my problem or not, I'll report back here with the results (and the original circumstances, too). Thanks for bringing this tantalizing possibility to my attention.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 16, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Nope. I've had a boot hang since early January when the post-Spectre/Meltdown firmware and software updates came out. I had Macrium and AEOMEI boot entries in my boot menu. Just removed them, and that problem persists. I now remain more convinced than before that only a firmware update will fix my problems. Thanks for defining a great experiment to seek a different cause/fix, though. I do appreciate it!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 16, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    Just a thought- are you both using the same versions of Reflect? (But I'm guessing that wouldn't make a change to the content of that entry).

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Dalchina: I'm using the current version on all of my PCs. According to my current PC, that's v7.1.2917. Thanks for asking? Now please: what might that mean in this situation?
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 16, 2018
  12. Steve C Win User
    Mine is the free version of the same (v7.1.2917), running Windows 10 Pro latest revision as of this Tuesday.

Steve C, Mar 16, 2018
  13. Callender Win User

Boot Menu Problem

Had a similar issue caused by a sticky key which was detected as being continually pressed after boot.

EDIT: I reckon that although MR counts down and waits for Enter key to be pressed during countdown - it's possible that if other keystrokes are detected it interferes with boot.

I use 10 second countdown though.

Boot Menu Problem [​IMG]

Callender, Mar 16, 2018
  14. Callender Win User
    After successful boot launch notepad and see if anything appears like a continually typed symbol or letter.

Callender, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Boot Menu Problem

1. Boot Menu Problem - Similar Threads - Boot Menu Problem

2. Pc boot menu problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pc boot menu problem: So few days back my all my games started getting low fps so i cleaned the pc but nothing changed but after few hours i reinstalled the windows and the games were starting working back to normal but on next day the same thing started again then the only thing i did is to go to...
  3. Problem with windows boot option menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with windows boot option menu: Hi all, I'm new to the idea of dual-boot and recently installed linux ubuntu to dual-boot, but then was unable get the windows boot option menu to load when I set it as first priority in my UEFI boot menu. I started getting issue with Windows 10, and decided to completely...
  4. Problem with boot up menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with boot up menu: The boot up config as per MSConfig is set to selective, which is I think why I am not seeing the boot option screen, when I change it to normal boot, I get an error screen at the next boot.....I assume something is wrong with the msconfig setup, or boot options, need some...
  5. Boot Menu

Boot Menu: I was working on an assignment for school, and I suddenly couldn’t interact with the Word tab anymore. I thought that the computer was just freezing or messed up, or something like that. I shut down the computer, then when I tried to turn it back on, the Windows Boot Menu...
  6. Bios Boot menu problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    Bios Boot menu problem.: my msconfig shows only windows option as below [img] But bcdedit /enum firmware shows ubuntu as below [img] Even after doing bcdedit /delete {identifier}, after reboot, bcdedit /enum firmware shows ubuntu. Bios also shows ubuntu option. I do not have ubuntu now in any...
  7. Boot menu

Boot menu: [IMG] Im having problems getting out of of this boot system menu I don't know how to get out and go back to repair man you do any one of you know how to get out of it because I am trying to fix my laptop because it won't let me auto repair...
  8. Dual boot menu: problem with Windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dual boot menu: problem with Windows update: I use two operating system on my laptop: Windows 10 and Ubuntu. So when I turn on the device it offers the dual boot menu to choose the OS. However after every update the boot menu ceases being visible and the system bypasses the boot menu directly to load Windows 10. This...
  9. boot menu problems with mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Support
    boot menu problems with mouse pointer: I have a machine with three partitions of Win 10 Pro installed. When the menu comes up to choose which one, the mouse pointer is not displayed. If I move the mouse around I can eventually highlight a menu selection and boot into it. So the system is working, I just can't see...
  10. Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange Dual-Boot Menu Problem: I have a dual-boot problem. My desktop PC has two harddrives, Drive 0 and Drive 1. Drive 0 (my primary boot drive) has a single partition containing Windows 10 on Drive C:. Drive 1 has two partitions: a 100MB System Reserved partition containing the MBR, etc., and a large...