Windows 10: Boot partition listed twice in boot menu

Discus and support Boot partition listed twice in boot menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have windows 7, 8 and 10 dual boot. I decided to set 7 as the boot drive after having 10 and when I did, the boot menu and MSConfig both list 7 twice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rdwray, Nov 11, 2017.

1. rdwray Win User

Boot partition listed twice in boot menu

I have windows 7, 8 and 10 dual boot. I decided to set 7 as the boot drive after having 10 and when I did, the boot menu and MSConfig both list 7 twice on the same partition and I cannot find Boot.ini. How do I get rid of the second listing of 7 in the boot menu?

Boot partition listed twice in boot menu [​IMG]

Original OEM install of 7 on C:.
    Installed 7 on D: as a backup.
    Installed 8 on a third partition and it became C: and listed original 7 as D: and the backup 7 as E:. When on either 7, 8 is listed as D:.
    Upgraded backup 7 to 10 and it stayed as E: listing Original 7 as C: and 8 as D:.

:)

rdwray, Nov 11, 2017
  2. Pavan_N Win User

After upgrading to W10 when signing in to my account I get an error mesage from system properties stating that "windows has sret up a temporary paging file"

Hi John,

Please answer this question to assist you better.

What is the available space in boot partition?

Boot Partition.

The boot partition contains the Windows operating system files (usually \WINNT) and it support files (usually \WINNT\SYSTEM32). It can be the same partition as the system partition.

If the available space in boot partition is less then I suggest you to follow the steps below.

• Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".
    • In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu
    • Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up space.
    Do let us know the status of the issue. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Nov 11, 2017
  3. Dual Boot Issue

If that's the Windows Boot Menu then those extra listings should not appear and may have been forced by deleting the WinRE Recovery partition. Anything on that menu should also be able to be set or hidden in mscsonfig>Boot tab or if not there on

EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required)
    Edit OS Menu tab. If not there then they are anomalous and I'd ignore them. Note that neither location actually deletes these devices themselves but only their listing on the boot menu.

I'd leave the 450mb alone for now since even if you use a tool like Partition Wizard which can borrow empty space from anywhere on the hard drive, this would move the EFI System partition and hidden MSR partition (which would show up if there in PW) and
    risk no-boot situation until repaired.

When ready to do a
    Clean Install Windows 10
    be sure to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space so that it recreates the Recovery partition where is stored the onboard WinRE repair console. Until then use the Windows 10 bootable media or Recovery Drive for booted
    repairs.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 11, 2017
  4. rdwray Win User

BCDEdit bailed me out. I moved the first entry down to the location of the duplicate and one of them disappeared - I love magic.

rdwray, Nov 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Boot partition listed twice in boot menu - Similar Threads - Boot partition listed

2. boot partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  3. boot partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  4. Forced to boot twice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Forced to boot twice: Hello. I have a freshly installed Windows box that requires me to restart twice for a successful boot. The first attempt always causes Windows to freeze at the boot screen (Windows logo with circle underneath). I have disabled fast boot as well as hibernate but still have to...
  5. Stuck at Boot Menu. USB Boot after setting partition style to gpt stuck at boot menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck at Boot Menu. USB Boot after setting partition style to gpt stuck at boot menu: I have been trying a clean install of Windows 10 on my Lenovo Ideapad. During the installation, I found that my partition disks had an error when trying to install. I had the wrong styling of my partition disks and I ran a command line prompt that cleaned and changed the...
  6. Outlook opens twice on boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Outlook opens twice on boot: No matter what way of launching it I do, Outlook always opens twice on boot. The only way I've noticed that it doesn't, is if I close Outlook manually before I turn my PC off, which I don't want to do. I've tried putting it into shell:startup, I've tried creating a task in...
  7. Partitions and Boot menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partitions and Boot menu: What I would like to know does the bios create the boot menu and partitions or is it the operating system or a bit of both 136847
  8. Partitions and Boot menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Partitions and Boot menu: What I would like to know does the bios create the boot menu and partitions or is it the operating system or a bit of both 136847
  9. F8 Boot Menu Partition Questions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    F8 Boot Menu Partition Questions: Okay, I have decided to get ready to remove my pesky 4.88GB Windows 8.1 Partition (partition 5) from my PC because now I have Windows 10 and no longer have the option to go back. I have used a Command in the Elevated Command Prompt to enable the F8 boot menu as a substitute...
  10. Dual Boot No Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot No Boot Menu: Ladies and Gentlemen I am in a new arena and need some help. I have been in the INI and BCD Arena but not the EFI MBR. I decided to go with a new motherboard and AMD RYZEN CPU. I set up the new system and moved my hard drives with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Windows 8.1 Pro...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk management recovery partition twice