Windows 10: Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop

Discus and support Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hope I am in the right forum. My problem is as follows: My wife and I have same HP laptops. Her motherboard died. I have two hard drives in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robertjameson, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop

Hope I am in the right forum. My problem is as follows: My wife and I have same HP laptops. Her motherboard died. I have two hard drives in my computer. C drive had system on it and D drive had mostly mp3's. I took out the D drive and inserted my wife's HD thinking I might be able to extract her files. It did boot and I did extract all her files successfully however when I reinstalled my HD (drive D) the computer would not boot. What I need done is to get the system and system boot on my C drive so I can return my original HD (D). I have inserted a screenshot of what all of this looks like. Can anybody help me straighten this out. At 77, I'm not very good at this as you can see the mess I'm in.
    Thanks

Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop [​IMG]

:)

robertjameson, Feb 13, 2018
  2. Y JohnKim Win User

Missing password window at startup in Windows 10

When I start the 64 bit HP dv7 laptop, all of the sudden I do not see the password window and there is no way that I can log in since have always been using Microsoft Account password to log in. It started when I try to make a clean boot to solve my wireless
    printing setup. Since Selective Boot did not do much good in resolving my printer software installation problem, I tried
    Diagnostic radio button in clean boot options. Now I cannot even log into the laptop.

Is there anything that I can do to get my login password window in Windows 10? Here I am using another of my computers since I cannot login to HP dv7 laptop.

yjohn

Y JohnKim, Feb 13, 2018
  3. Uninstalled Windows 10 because of overheating. Is it safe to try Windows 10 again?

Last year I downloaded windows 10 onto my HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC from windows 7 - laptop was so noisy and hot I had to get a windows rep to convert back - is the problem still on-going - that is would it be safe to go to windows 10 now?

Moved from IE11/Win 7

Original title: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC / windows 10 from windows 7

RickDalkin, Feb 13, 2018
  4. Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop

Hi Robertjameson. Welcome to the TenForums @robertjameson

If you boot with just your C: drive installed does it boot.

Have you checked your boot order in BIOS?

Do you have boot media in the form of an ISO or USB key. You can create on any Win 10 machine by typinf Recovery Drive and open app. Likely need 8GB key.

Caledon Ken, Feb 13, 2018
  5. Thanks for your reply. No, it won't boot with just the C drive installed. The F drive as shown in screenshot is my wife's drive. I don't have any other boot devices to use. I'm not sure where my system is stored, it looks like it is on the C drive but it won't boot

6. zbook New Member
    In the image there are rows and columns.
    The information in each column and row can be in full view or be hidden.
    In the image the status column was too narrow and the information in the rows was cut off.
    1) Please post a new image into the thread following the instructions in this link:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of | Windows 10 Tutorials

2) Find several flash drives that you can format ( > or = 8 GB)
    3) Make a bootable Windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    4) Make an iso for Memtest86+ version 5.01
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    5) Test the HP hardware using HP UEFI diagnostics.
    6) Power on the computer and repetitively click the F2 key.
    7) Indicate into the thread which tests are available or whether you can view the HP UEFI diagnostic version.
    8) There is a default version that comes with the computer and there is a downloadable version.
    The downloadable version performs many more diagnostic tests.
    There is a USB bootable test that is in the middle with features.
    9) Report into the thread what you see when you open the BIOS with the F2 key.
    10) If it is the default version and not the download version > create a HP bootable UEFI hardware diagnostic flash drive:
    HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site
    11) Report the result into the thread.

zbook, Feb 13, 2018
  7. You could also boot with her drive and create recovery media.

Did you check your boot order.

Since this happen after installing your wife's drive I do not believe this is a hardware issue. The boot order is wrong or the MBR is off. I don't think you are booting UEFI.

When you produce the disk management shot we should be able to see.

Caledon Ken, Feb 13, 2018
  8. simrick Win User

Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop

Could he make a Macrium rescue flash drive, and boot to Macrium (without his wife's drive installed) and use the "Fix Boot" option?

simrick, Feb 13, 2018
  9. Caledon Ken, Feb 13, 2018
  10. New screenshot below. Disk 0 is my original Hard Drive. Disk 1 is my wife's drive. My second Hard Drive was labeled as Disk D and had mostly mp3's and itunes. Again, when my original drive (Disk 0) on screenshot and my original drive Disk D and installed (original installation) computer will not boot. I tried doing bios default and change boot order but the only option available was internal hard drive. No was to select disk 0. However, if I install my wife's HD, computer boots just fine. I need to change the boot order somehow so it boots my disk (0). The correct label for my drives should be Disk 1 (boot disk and C*Smile and Disk 2 D:
    Hope this makes since.

Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop [​IMG]

11. zbook New Member
    The HP computers that I use have 2 HD bays. They also have SSD.
    Moving a drive from one computer to the other works for storage drives.
    It fails for the Windows drive.
    The MB is married to the HD.
    So I am surprised that you were able to get your wife's HD to work in another computer.
    If I move my HP drive to a different model HP computer it could be a RAW drive.
    The licensing method that Microsoft uses allows you to clean install and reinstall the operating system with a digital license.
    However what you are doing by moving the HD to another computer that is the same model is similar to switching MB.
    So again I am puzzled how it worked with your wife's drive and no longer works with your drive.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ardware-change

zbook, Feb 13, 2018
  12. Okay. Do you know if you are booting UEFI or legacy?

Caledon Ken, Feb 14, 2018
  13. Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop

If you are not sure Windows key + R, type msinfo32, enter

On page that opens look for the entry BIOS Mode. It should either be UEFI or BIOS.

Caledon Ken, Feb 14, 2018
  14. I have no idea regarding that. I tried making a Macrium recovery/repair disk but failed. Not sure I'm doing it right nor do I totally understand the process. What I think I'm suppose to do is download Reflect program and burn it to a CD. That is where things went wrong. Program did not burn CD. But if it had, my understanding is I would boot my laptop with the repair CD and both my original drives installed. The CD would boot and the repair program would fix boot problems.
    If that is correct I need to figure out how to create repaid disk.

robertjameson, Feb 14, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Why not use a USB flash drive? It's more compact, less fragile, and can be reused many times. A cheap 16GB USB 3 drive -- about the smallest you can get these days -- costs $12.75 at Newegg ($12.99 for 32 GB!!). It's pretty easy to set one up as a bootable repair drive, and then you can keep it up to date and rebuild as new Win10 releases come out.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 14, 2018
Thema:

Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop

1. Boot problems with HP dv7 Windows 10 laptop - Similar Threads - Boot problems dv7

2. HP laptop boot up problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laptop boot up problems: Hi everyone, I have an HP laptop which is broken. i was messing around with the task manager start up applications and i think i disabled windows powershellif that did anything and i. don’t think that matters. anyways, now whenever i. boot it up i keep going to a page saying...
  3. HP laptop boot up problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP laptop boot up problems: Hi everyone, I have an HP laptop which is broken. i was messing around with the task manager start up applications and i think i disabled windows powershellif that did anything and i. don’t think that matters. anyways, now whenever i. boot it up i keep going to a page saying...
  4. HP laptop boot up problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD on laptop HP Envy dv7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on laptop HP Envy dv7: My father's laptop recently started having BSOD. Here are dump files Dump Files Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-on-laptop-hp-envy-dv7/3ed119fd-a4b3-4e71-be66-2f9704ca9e8f
  6. Laptop ( HP Envy dv7 ) Windows 10 hat Problem?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop ( HP Envy dv7 ) Windows 10 hat Problem?: Hello, everyone, I have a relatively old laptop. An HP Envy dv7 with Windows 10. In itself it works great but since the day before yesterday I have two problems, which strangely enough appeared at the same time. For one thing, the touchpad is spinning. You can use it...
  7. HP Pavilion dv7-6b50ez wifi problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP Pavilion dv7-6b50ez wifi problem: Driver is installed, my wifi is working , but when it is turn on lights up white on button F12 which is fine. When it is turn off it still glows white , but would be it should glow orange. How to fix it to glow orange when wifi is off? 153517
  8. HP Pavilion dv7-6b50ez sound problem

HP Pavilion dv7-6b50ez sound problem: Hello, my laptop HP Pavilion dv7-6b50ez installed drivers for sound IDT Audio Driver. When my sound is on, nothing lights up, and it should turn white on the F 11 key, when i turn off the sound on key F 11 it lights up orange which is ok. How do I set it to light white on the...
  9. HP Pavilion dv7-6b50ez wifi problem

HP Pavilion dv7-6b50ez wifi problem: Driver is installed, my wifi is working , but when it is turn on lights up white on button F12 which is fine. When it is turn off it still glows white , but would be it should glow orange. How to fix it to glow orange when wifi is off? 153517
  10. HP dv7-4171US Video Drivers problem

HP dv7-4171US Video Drivers problem: My Laptop has two video cards. one is a Mobility Radeon HD 5000 and the other is a 4050. I installed what I thought were the correct drivers but Windows 10 isn't using them. it seems that the system is using the Microsoft Video Driver which is forcing my extra monitor to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp dv7-4171 windows 10