Windows 10: Boot Select Screen?

Discus and support Boot Select Screen? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I've got Windows 10 all installed and running in a dual boot setup with Windows 8, no problems so far. But I'd like to have a boot select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MikeHawthorne, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Boot Select Screen?

Hi

I've got Windows 10 all installed and running in a dual boot setup with Windows 8, no problems so far.

But I'd like to have a boot select screen when I turn on my computer as I did when I was dual booting Windows 7 and 8.

I can boot to Widows 8 by hitting F8 and selecting the correct hard drive to boot to, (it only lists the drives not the OS or partition names) but otherwise it just boots into Windows 10 without asking.

Anyone know how to set this up?

Mike

:)

MikeHawthorne, Oct 2, 2014

2. booting select

I have already installed another OS in my laptop but the primary is windows... how do i choose to boot to that other OS?

sexyPotato, Oct 2, 2014
  3. John Sarc Win User
    booting select

Hi,

To better assist your concern, we found this
    thread
    (see Yashwanth Kotakuri's answer), it includes instructions to show you how to choose your desired
    OS (operation system) when booting up your computer. Other Community members (people) found it helpful. Give it a try.

Let us know how it goes.

John Sarc, Oct 2, 2014
  4. Edwin New Member

Boot Select Screen?

Hi Mike,
    In your sysconfig/boot tab, what does the 'Timeout' read?

Edwin, Oct 2, 2014
  5. theog Win User
    theog, Oct 2, 2014
  6. How do I get to msconfig, or sysconfig there isn't a run window?

When I search for either in System Setting I don't get anything.

I'll look at EasyBCD too.

7. If you press Win + R do you get the run screen?

JDobbsy1987, Oct 2, 2014
  8. Edwin New Member

Boot Select Screen?

Search msconfig

Boot Select Screen? [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 2, 2014
  9. brummyfan Win User
    You can also type "msconfig", "run" to get those.
    Attachment 5633

brummyfan, Oct 2, 2014
  10. If you do a search for msconfig it should pull it back in the search...

JDobbsy1987, Oct 2, 2014
  11. OK, Win key R did it.

This is what my boot tab looks like...

Mike

12. bromanbro Win User
    Yeah ur in the right place. Weird that Win8 isn't showing up Boot Select Screen? o_O

bromanbro, Oct 2, 2014
  13. Boot Select Screen?

Hi

I got it working!

I had already tried using EasyBCD from Windows 8, so I installed EasyBCD in Windows 10 and added Windows 8 to that boot menu, and it worked.

It appears that Windows 10 creates a new boot sector that doesn't find Windows 8 as another boot option.

Now both of the boot menus show both Windows 8 and 10.

This pretty much concludes the basic set up process, I have Chrome, Thunderbird and Rocket Dock installed and working.

I was able to run Guild Wars 2 in stereo 3D an it ran really fast.

I haven't been able to run any of my video files yet, does this include Windows Media Player?

I'll look into that tomorrow.

I haven't had time to see if I have the sound issues I had in Windows 8.1 yet.
    I need my speech software installed to try that.

Mike

14. Hi

I had to run EasyBCD from Windows 10 to set up the boot menu.
    Everything works now.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Oct 11, 2014
  15. CountMike New Member
    I used EasyBCD in both, 8.1 and 10 so even if I use F12 to choose a disk in BIOS to hard boot from it, I have a boot menu.

CountMike, Oct 12, 2014
Thema:

Boot Select Screen?

1. Boot Select Screen? - Similar Threads - Boot Select Screen

2. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...: First day: activate windows watermark, slow and laggy performance than usual and a crash appeared, restarted automatically and was good all againSecond day: after logging with password a black screen would appear but mouse cursor was visible. Later new problem arises saying...
  3. Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...: I've tried all sorts including professional YouTube help, basically I plugged a usb in my pc yesterday and it overrided my bootup sequence from my hard drive with Windows 10.When boots, I'm trying control, alt, delete / delete / f10,11,12 buttons and reset button but can't...
  4. Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...: I've tried all sorts including professional YouTube help, basically I plugged a usb in my pc yesterday and it overrided my bootup sequence from my hard drive with Windows 10.When boots, I'm trying control, alt, delete / delete / f10,11,12 buttons and reset button but can't...
  5. Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen: Hi, I have a Win10 and Win8.1 dual boot system. When the system boots I usually get this screen. [img] Rarely do I get the screen I would like to standardize on. [img] How do I get the system to always use the GUI vs Console version of the boot select screen. Thanks...
  7. "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device": Hi, I recently built a new PC with a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I'm installing Windows 10 via USB and I've made the USB top priority in the boot list. However, when I exit BIOS, It gives me an error saying "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected...
  8. Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device: Title says it all. I just installed a new ssd drive and loaded W10 on it. All was working fine; W10 rebooted several times did updates rebooted and all was OK. I got to work connecting other drives and put case back together and then the no boot. I disconnected the other...
  9. Remove Select boot device screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remove Select boot device screen: Please can you help with my trouble when it appeared as screen shot? It stops my laptop start automatically. Thank you for your support.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-select-boot-device-screen/0df7f08f-6a72-4e0f-bed7-ecef830d7d5e"
  10. OS Boot Selection Screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS Boot Selection Screen: Hi there reader/expert, More a question than an actual problem. I have a dual boot system with both 8.1x64 and 10x64 on my 240GB SSD and I always used to have a nice boot selection screen in blue, like on the right side of the picture (something I grabbed from the inet)....