Windows 10: Boot time very slow with SSD

Discus and support Boot time very slow with SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 with the latest updates, my hardware is: i5-6600k running at 4.4GHZ and 1.3v Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 8GB RAM Z170-HD3 RX 480... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mohamed3on, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Boot time very slow with SSD

I have Windows 10 with the latest updates, my hardware is:
    i5-6600k running at 4.4GHZ and 1.3v
    Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
    8GB RAM
    Z170-HD3
    RX 480 4GB
    I'm on windows 10 1703
    My boot time has recently been extremely slow (almost 2 minutes)
    Interestingly Windows boot (The windows logo and loading screen) takes the vast majority of the time (84 seconds out of 110), and that time is very consistent every boot (always in the 83-84 seconds range)

This is with fast boot enabled/disabled.I tried to enable/disable enableULPS in the registry but still had the same issue.
    Any ideas what to do?

:)

mohamed3on, Jul 2, 2017

2. Very slow boot time with Windows 10 Pro on SSD

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE DELETES OVER-PROVISIONING ON SSD!

After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I experienced the same slow boot issues. This wasn't anything to do with what was happening IN Windows -- the delay was happening before Windows started, and continued after I rolled back to 8.1 (my Lenovo X220
    was not fully compatible). I realized that it must be something that had changed on my SSD and I finally found out what it is:

The Windows 10 upgrade process deleted the over-provisioning space on my SSDs!! I had set up 10% for over-provisioning with Samsung Magician for both my Samsung SSDs and after the upgrade it was gone from both drives. After re-applying 10%
    over-provisioning with Samsung Magician everything returned to normal after around 24 hours. It wasn't immediate, probably because the drive firmware needed time to get its references set up again.

If you have a Samsung SSD you just need to reactivate over-provisioning with the Samsung Magician utility. If you have a different brand you will need to re-activate it using the method you used to set it up in the first place. Make sure you have a backup,
    because any changes to hard disk structure are potentially dangerous.

Info: Over-provisioning space is free space that an SSD needs to use to replace bad sectors. When sectors go bad they are marked as bad and the firmware uses sectors from the over-provisioning space instead.

Michael Bourke, Jul 2, 2017
  3. Very slow boot time with Windows 10 Pro on SSD

Windows Update pushed an update labelled Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series and again my laptop was taking 80 seconds to book. So again I disabled ULPS to solve the problem. However this time I have to modify
    both EnableUlps and EnableUlps_NA keys in the registry. I'm glad I have a solution to this problem but it looks like each time the display adapter driver is updated I'll have to follow the same procedure.

Super Graham, Jul 2, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Boot time very slow with SSD

Welcome to the forum. In taskmanager startup what does it show as high impact your best bet is to find out whats taking the timehttps://helgeklein.com/blog/2013/07/analyzing-a-slow-boot-with-windows-performance-recorder-analyzer/

Samuria, Jul 2, 2017
  5. Hi. It's not a startup application that's causing this. Applications start up after you login, the delay I'm talking about happens in the loading screen even before the login screen.
    See here:

Boot time very slow with SSD [​IMG]

It takes just 13 seconds for startup programs to run. But 85 seconds in the loading screen.

mohamed3on, Jul 2, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    what did the test show it may be a service

Samuria, Jul 2, 2017
  7. Again, that test is concerned with startup time after login, my problem is slow boot before login. They're unrelated.

mohamed3on, Jul 2, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jul 2, 2017
  9. Done. What should I look for?
    UI Delays? Boot phases?
    Weirdly, it shows the session init phase taking just 7 seconds, while it actually takes 85-86.
    Edit: Here's a screenshot of its results:

Boot time very slow with SSD [​IMG]

At the bottom, it says the duration is 146 seconds, but all the phases together are less than 40 seconds!

mohamed3on, Jul 2, 2017
  10. zinou Win User
    the 85s of delay, you are talking about, are not reflected in the Winlogon init phase. in the graph I only see 11s !

with which tool did you mesure your boot time that shows 85s ?

zinou, Jul 3, 2017
  11. I used BootRacer and also timed it manually, the 85 seconds measurement was correct.
    Anyway, I fixed the problem by doing a repair install of Windows 10, while keeping my apps and files. Now it's back to normal and pre-login time is reduced to ~10s.

mohamed3on, Jul 3, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it's possible you may get a driver update that creates the same problem- but let's hope not.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot time very slow with SSD - Similar Threads - Boot very slow

2. Booting is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting is very slow: Hello, My laptop taking around 6-7 minutes to boot. I have tried all possible fix like reinstall of Windows with both local install and cloud download , Disk cleanup and defragment, switching off superfetch, turned off hibernation, cleaning up registry editor. Nothing worked...
  3. Very slow boot (even after replacing ssd)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot (even after replacing ssd): So I had this problem for a while now, boot takes very long time. I thought it was my SSD starting to die out, So I bought a new one, NVME this time Samsung 970 EVO Plus, I cloned my old ssd to the new one, and now using the new one instead for operation system, and still...
  4. Boot is very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot is very slow: Hi I have a problem with my PC. I've recently updated my windows using windows settings.Everything is fine but my PC boots very slow after updating. I disabled apps with high impact in startup settings and I also reset my PC but nothing changed. I changed the boot...
  5. Boot Time very slow on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot Time very slow on Windows 10: Hello, I noticed yesterday that my boot time both on restarts and fresh boots had suddenly gotten a lot slower on my Dell laptop. It was previously 45 seconds or so, but is now 7-8 minutes. I've tried most of the possible fixes I've seen online: disabling/enabling fast...
  6. Very slow boot time

Very slow boot time: I have a sony vaio 500hdd 4gb ram i5 processor ,my problem is it takes for ever to start up ,when i start the laptop the windows logo comes up then takes ages to get to the please wait screen then takes ages again to get to the user welcome screen then i wait ages for the...
  7. Very slow boot time

in Windows 10 Support
    Very slow boot time: I have a sony vaio 500hdd 4gb ram i5 processor ,my problem is it takes for ever to start up ,when i start the laptop the windows logo comes up then takes ages to get to the please wait screen then takes ages again to get to the user welcome screen then i wait ages for the...
  8. slow boot time on ssd

slow boot time on ssd: Hi all, I know there are a wide range of posts about this issue but I couldn't find any direct solution.. I have a laptop with i7 8750h, 16gb ram and 512gb intel 7600p ssd. Boot time takes about 50 seconds, some times 40. Here is the link of Windows Performance Recorder test...
  9. Very slow boot time - 100% disk active time

Very slow boot time - 100% disk active time: Hi ! I purchased a new laptop a couple days ago (ASUS ZenBook UX410UAK – specs in screenshot) and straight from the first day I noticed it was way too slow, especially on boot. [img] [img] I managed to pinpoint down the problem to the HDD (ST1000LM035-1RK172). The...
  10. My SSD is booting very slow

My SSD is booting very slow: Hi everyone, I am a new member of the forum. My SSD is booting very slow & I need help solving this. The SSD is about 2 years old & has been upgraded to Win 10 for about a 1 yr, after googling the problem & following up on a suggestion, I downloaded and ran Crystal...