Windows 10: Boot up problem M.2 SSD

Discus and support Boot up problem M.2 SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. I recently had an issue with my Windows 10 on my Samsung SSD, it basically just stopped working, and nothing that I did helped, not any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BorisTheAnimal, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Boot up problem M.2 SSD

Hello.

I recently had an issue with my Windows 10 on my Samsung SSD, it basically just stopped working, and nothing that I did helped, not any repairs from the "Repair your computer" option from an installation media.

So to cut the story short, I reinstalled Windows 10 on my Intel 600P M.2 SSD.

But when I boot up it doesn't seem to know where the OS is. First I get a light blue screen saying that

"Your computer didn't shut down properly" or "Recovery Your computer couldn't start properly"

And I get three options at the bottom: "Enter to try again" "F8 for startup settings" "Esc for UEFI firmware settings"

If I press enter I come to a screen with my motherboard logo and the dots spinning in a circle and then it flashes and the logo is gone but the dots don't disappear, ever.

I usually at this point press down the restart button on my computer case, reboot and press the F8 button so that I can select the M.2 SSD even though it is the first option in the Boot options in BIOS. And then I get this:

I get in the top left corner of the screen a blinking underscore or dash and it keeps changing position as if the resolution is changing during that and then it takes like 10 to 30 seconds and then it puts me on the login screen.

Below is a screenshot of the boot manager if needed.

Boot up problem M.2 SSD [​IMG]

Anyways I'm looking forward to get this thing sorted out, I have computer experience but this feels like such a labyrinth of madness.

Cheers, Boris *Smile

:)

BorisTheAnimal, Oct 7, 2017

2. Multiple issues once again with Windows 10 PC

I ran a Long Test on both of my drives; my HDD successfully completing without any issues, but my SSD giving up after 2% in the test. Are you saying I should replace my current SSD with a new one, replace my HDD with a new SSD, or something else? Windows
    10 is already booted on my M.2 Adata SSD. Lastly, would a reset by any chance be a fix to my problems?

Zeno Clipz, Oct 7, 2017
  3. PaulRujan Win User
    inaccessible M.2 SSD boot device

Dear Andre,

many thanks for the help. As I explained, I look for a solution where I do not have to reinstall all my software, that will take me again a lot of time. As for now, the SAME desktop does power up with a SATA disk using the actual Windows 10 pro, so I can
    just start the programs I need from the (now non-system) M.2 SSD drive, almost all of them. That buys me time until Microsoft fixes this bug.

In any case, I downloaded the 1703 version as you suggested and I will try your solution once I have more time (and the nerves). I think the guys writing the Spectre updates forgot an if/then regarding devices on PCH. It can be also the case that some drivers
    did have some "uncovered" security flaws, which now flew out. MS is suspect by default, given the company history but they improved a lot lately.

Many thanks again,

With best regards,

Paul

PaulRujan, Oct 7, 2017
  4. essenbe Win User

Boot up problem M.2 SSD

Boris, I am assuming you are installed in UEFI mode. Do you have 'Windows Boot Manager' selected as the boot device? You may also check your CSM and see what the setting for boot from storage devices are. Also, have you tried to boot into safe mode?

essenbe, Oct 7, 2017
  5. I think I did but I'm not entirely sure since I installed the Windows 10 off of a USB stick and I can't remember if the UEFI mode was enabled or disabled, damn I tested so many things to get the previous one working that some things I can't remember atm.

And in the BIOS, the SSD with the broken Windows 10 is still being marked as Windows Boot Manager in the list of bootable drives.

6. essenbe Win User
    If I can help, I'll try. I have a Z77 Sabertooth, but I am not installed in UEFI and don't have a M.2 in that rig. I do have one in this X99 rig.

essenbe, Oct 7, 2017
  7. Heh, that is what I upgraded from, kind of miss the robust Z77 Sabertooth board *cry

But yeah I'll be in and out checking in, going to play some games.

But thanks in advance! *Smile

8. essenbe Win User

Boot up problem M.2 SSD

The Sabertooth is what is listed in your system specs. I thought you were having trouble with it.

essenbe, Oct 7, 2017
  9. Sorry had built a new system but hasn't been active here on TenForums for probably more than a year, now they are updated.

10. Do you think that moving the EFI folder from the broken Windows 10 installation on the SSD would solve my issue?

BorisTheAnimal, Oct 10, 2017
  11. essenbe Win User
    Do you have Windows Boot Manager selected as the boot device? I don't know about replacing the EFI partition. A better option would be to do a Macrium image and verify it of your current install to an external drive. Then do a clean install of the OS, then restore only the C partition from your Macrium backup.

essenbe, Oct 10, 2017
  12. I don't know if I want to do the clean installation again. It would be the 4th time regarding Windows 10.

BorisTheAnimal, Oct 10, 2017
  13. essenbe Win User

Boot up problem M.2 SSD

The clean install will set your partitions and make sure it is bootable. Restoring the C partition will restore all of you programs and settings.

When you do the clean install, make sure no other drives are installed and delete all partitions until it says unallocated. Then install. It will set the partitions it wants the way it wants them. Restoring the C partition will restore everything. Unless you have a real bad driver or a hardware problem, that should solve any boot issues you have.

You may try starting in safe mode to see if it will boot before doing that.

essenbe, Oct 10, 2017
  14. topgundcp Win User
    This entry (path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi) indicates that you are using efi.
    If you can boot it and get to login screen then I think the problem is you might have some corrupted files within C Drive. Try run from Admin command:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth&sfc /scannow&pause

topgundcp, Oct 20, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    A thought from something I've been through (which may be totally irrelevant, but easy to test!)- I have 2 disks, 1 being a M2 SSD (system disk).
    What I found was that the CU viewed my SSD as Disk 1, whereas the AU (and presumably earlier) viewed it as Disk 0.

I had problems if either I upgraded to the CU, or clean installed the CU. None with the AU.
    When clean installing the CU, I noted a couple of very very brief warnings on the restarts about not find a boot source (too fast to catch - two short lines).

However, the PC booted normally (which is not your case). The problem was with advanced startup options e.g. Safe Mode. (BCD error reported).

As an experiment, try booting from your installation disk as if you were going to clean install, and when you reach the point of choosing which partitions to delete, check what disk number is displayed.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
Thema:

Boot up problem M.2 SSD

1. Boot up problem M.2 SSD - Similar Threads - Boot problem SSD

2. M.2 SSD Is not sowing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    M.2 SSD Is not sowing up: Hi. I was asking about my M.2 SSD. It shows up in my BiosI built my own PC, it shows up in device management, and I can make a device pool with it. However, if I want to configure it only shows my 1 tb 2.5 inch SSD. I want to figure out how to make it appear, because my 2.5...
  3. Windows Boot Problem BIOS SSD M.2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Boot Problem BIOS SSD M.2: I got an SSD M.2 and set Windows 10 there. The second disk is HDD. During startup, the PC throws it into the BIOS. I don't change anything there, I press "save and exit", and then Windows starts up. And if you turn off the computer and turn it on after 1 minute, everything...
  4. M.2 SSD not showing up in BIOS Boot Section

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 SSD not showing up in BIOS Boot Section: I have had this problem for a while now and I have never seemed to figure it out. My C drive shows up in file explorer and I have saved multiple games and big files and such. And I checked my SSD with Crystal disk info and it said it was in good condition. But whenever I go...
  5. ?M.2 or ssd

?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  6. M.2 SSD's

M.2 SSD's: Does anyone here run their OS on an M.2 SSD? And if so, do you notice any difference in speed than a regular SSD? 114991
  7. dual boot on m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  8. dual boot on m.2 ssd

dual boot on m.2 ssd: i have a laptop hp 15-ay503tx with core i5 6th gen 8 gb ddr4 ram 1 TB hdd 5400rpm. currently i am using dual boot windows 7 ultimate and windows 10 both on same hdd on different partitions. i am going to install a 860 EVO 250GB SATA III M.2 SSD on this laptop and...
  9. M.2 ssd's

M.2 ssd's: Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2 and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo 500gig or a pro, my mob say it is a m.2 pcie m type. would it fit? 105095
  10. M.2 ssd

M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. boot probleme with 2 ssd