Windows 10: Boot up Problems

Discus and support Boot up Problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Everyone I hope this post is in the right section - apologies if I have got it wrong. Have just replaced a very noisy main drive - cloned the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Skofab, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Skofab Win User

Boot up Problems

Hi Everyone
    I hope this post is in the right section - apologies if I have got it wrong.

Have just replaced a very noisy main drive - cloned the existing drive to a new one - no problem.
    HOWEVER, when I start up, I am met with a 'this system need repair notice' (or words to that effect).
    I restart and then go into boot order, select the relevant drive / confirm, and away we go.

The new drive is in exactly the same port as the previous one. Is there something I have failed to do, OR is it the case that the settings I make are somehow not being secured?
    Your help appreciated.

SOME ADDED INFORMATION...
    With the new disk, each time I started or re booted - I had to go into the boot menu and select the appropriate disk, - the boot menu did include the disk in its list - then all started.
    With it In that operating mode - there was no sign of the disk in device manager or in disk management???? How queer is that!

So I put the previous disk back in, and all operates as it should.
    I can only think that something went wildly wrong in the cloning process (I used Macrium, which allowed me to select MBR)
    I am now back to a noisy hard drive but would love to get this sorted...but how?

Your suggestions welcomed.

:)

Skofab, Jan 9, 2018

2. start menu stopped working

Cannot get start menu to pop up. Worked till yesterday, now won't. Turned off computer and back on - still won't work

problems-problems, Jan 9, 2018
  3. Problems booting up

Power on and off your computer three times

How do you do that?

Power on, when you see the Windows Logo - power off

Power on, when you see the Windows Logo - power off

Power on, it will then your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment

You might be asked to sign in with your Microsoft Account or Local Account password.

Click Advanced Options

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced Options

Click System Restore, see if you can go back to an earlier time.

If not, boot into the recovery environment again, then try performing a startup repair.

If that does not work, boot into the recovery environment, then click 'Go back to previous version of Windows'

If that does not work.

Go to a working computer, download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

If there are files on the drive you want to recover, see - How to: Perform a Custom install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Jan 9, 2018
  4. Ztruker Win User

Boot up Problems

Did you clone all the partitions from the old drive to the new drive.

Open Disk Management, press Winkkey+x and click on Disk Management.
    Make the Disk Management window Full screen.
    Expand the fields so everything is visible.

From this:

Boot up Problems [​IMG]

To this:

Boot up Problems [​IMG]

Now press the Print Screen key to capture what is shown on the screen.
    Start Paint by pressing WindowsKey + R, typing mspaint and pressing Enter.
    Right click in the Paint window and select Paste. This puts the Disk Management image into Paint.
    Click File then Save as. Select JPEG picture.
    In the Save as dialog, call the file Diskman.jpg and save it to your Desktop so it's easy to find.
    Close Paint.

Now Start a reply in your thread and simply drag Diskman.jpg from your Desktop to the reply. Add any comments and click Submit.

If you can do the same thing booted from the new drive so we can compare them, that would be great.

Ztruker, Jan 9, 2018
  5. Skofab Win User
    Boot up Problems [​IMG]

Hi Ztruker
    Many thanks for your prompt reply.
    You will have to be patient with me on this, I am just a novice so will take some time in replying fully as I plod my way through what is needed.

As a start I have done a screen shot of the present situation. (Keep in mind that I have put the original disk back in).
    The first observation that I can make (and query) - I note that my main operating disk is not 'disk O' - does this mean that the selected ports are not correct for the main disk? Sorry if that is a noob question.
    Will try much later in the day to give the answers to your post if possible.

Thanks for your time and thoughts so far.
    regards

Skofab, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Normally your boot disk is Disk 0.

There are 4 SATA ports on the motherboard.

Boot up Problems [​IMG]

You could swap the cables so the one for your boot drive C: is in SATA port 0. You have two partitions marked Active which is confusing. What is on your E: drive that is currently shown as Disk 0?

Ztruker, Jan 10, 2018
  7. Skofab Win User
    Thanks once again Ztruker
    your interest and help is appreciated.

I have indeed done a cable swap - and the result is shown herewith.

Disk 'E' is purely photo contents - why it is marked 'active' is beyond me.
    I have a spare disk, and I will transfer photos to that disk - and replace the existing 'DISK E' with a non-active setup.

This is how it stands following a cable swap at the moment - tomorrow I will post the revised layout for your approval.

Boot up Problems [​IMG]

Hopefully the proposed change will create the anticipated result.
    Then perhaps we can identify why the original cloned disk did not work as expected.

Many thanks once again

Skofab, Jan 10, 2018
  8. Boot up Problems

Hi Skofab.

You don't have to replace disk to remove active status. Give Rich a moment to respond.

He can confirm this set of commands run in a command prompt(admin)

Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 2
    select partition 1
    inactive
    exit
    exit

I used disk 2 in the above as E is listed as disk 2 in screen shot.
    The list disk command above is so you can confirm E: is disk 2
    ( you confirm based on size. ) Diskpart is quite powerful, please confirm you are making changes to right disk.

Caledon Ken, Jan 10, 2018
  9. Skofab Win User
    With cable positions now revised, and a E drive no longer active - all is running well.

So back to my original intention, replacing a noisy C Drive.
    This time the Macrium cloning tool did its job without any problems. And the offending drive replaced and working - is blissfully quiet.

Many thanks to you all for your help and patience

Skofab, Jan 10, 2018
  10. Skofab Win User
    With cable positions now revised, and a E drive no longer active - all is running well.

So back to my original intention, replacing a noisy C Drive.
    This time the Macrium cloning tool did its job without any problems. And the offending drive replaced and working - is blissfully quiet.

Many thanks to you all for your help and patience

Boot up Problems [​IMG]

Skofab, Jan 10, 2018
  11. I'll bet E: was an old boot drive somewhere in its history and as it was marked active it could have been first to boot.

Glad it is sorted and quiet. Quiet is nice.

If you could mark your thread solved so others will find.

Caledon Ken, Jan 10, 2018
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Glad to hear all is well. Team fix!!!!

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Boot up Problems

1. Boot up Problems - Similar Threads - Boot Problems

2. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  3. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  4. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem: When my PC wasn't booting I rebuilt the BCD of my windows 10 pc from the command prompt available in recovery through a video I watched on YouTube. The computer won't still boot and there's no recovery due to the rebuilt BCD. Pls what do I do, I need to recover my files....
  6. What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem: When my PC wasn't booting I rebuilt the BCD of my windows 10 pc from the command prompt available in recovery through a video I watched on YouTube. The computer won't still boot and there's no recovery due to the rebuilt BCD. Pls what do I do, I need to recover my files....
  7. What is the solution to BCD Boot Problem

8. Laptop boot problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop boot problem: I'm using a dell latitude laptop I was doing a restore point and I shut down my pc but now when I power it on there is no display I hear my laptop fan spin and I can see light from the keyboard but 5 second later my pc goes off.I already tried something with cmos and changed...
  9. Laptop boot problem

Laptop boot problem: I'm using a dell latitude laptop I was doing a restore point and I shut down my pc but now when I power it on there is no display I hear my laptop fan spin and I can see light from the keyboard but 5 second later my pc goes off.I already tried something with cmos and changed...
  10. Laptop boot problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade