Windows 10: Boot up takes 2 hours!

Discus and support Boot up takes 2 hours! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Alright so after long hours of research I have narrowed down y problem. Long story short I messed with the permissions of my C:\Windows directory and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Zero Escape, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Boot up takes 2 hours!

Alright so after long hours of research I have narrowed down y problem.
    Long story short I messed with the permissions of my C:\Windows directory and sure enough it has caused issues. Now my computer when powering on will show a light blue screen with spinning dots for hours before it finally gets to the log on screen.

After a lot of research I am aware that it is a permission issue and want to know what to do ti fix it. Sorry if this is kinda vague, but I am able to provide any additional information and will be very appreciative of any help you guys can offer *Smile

:)

Zero Escape, Feb 3, 2016
  2. Ch3ru Win User

Computer takes hours to boot up

I did not turn on my computer for about a month because I didn't have a charger. Now I have since turned my computer on and it takes hours to boot up. What can I do to solve this problem?

Ch3ru, Feb 3, 2016
  3. Computer takes hours to boot up

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32
    and click OK . Place the cursor on
    System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save.
    Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.
    The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two
    for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your
    System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type
    eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do
    not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your Diagnostics –Performance Operational log from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

To access the log select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R
    , type eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select
    Application and Services Logs. Expand and then expand Microsoft,
    Diagnostics -Performance. Place the cursor on Operational, select
    Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Feb 3, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Boot up takes 2 hours!

I suggest you do a Clean Install. Who knows what else has been messed up besides the permissions issue ?

Use this Tech Bench link to download the ISO file > burn it to a bootable media ( DVD or USB ) > use it to do a Clean Install.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench

davidhk, Feb 3, 2016
  5. GD4E1 Win User
    I have a similar but unrelated issue to this, my laptop doesn't even get to the boot screen (mine's acer so its the acer logo) for two hours (sometimes, it can be as little as ten minutes though). I think that could be down to the RAM overheating, which also appears to be causing random shut-downs and the occasional BSOD, I don't think a clean install would fix this to be honest, but I agree for your permission issue do a clean install (but first try to use another laptop to get your stuff off the hard drive, either that or use a live boot disk

GD4E1, Feb 3, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    In addition, try to do a system restore prior to changing the permission. Also disconnect any external devices.

topgundcp, Feb 3, 2016
  7. I actually was able to resolve my issue along with some issues with the store thing in the start menu by using the free version of tweaking.coms tool

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro

It's not a gimic, it really saved me from doing a clean install and losing everything

Zero Escape, Feb 4, 2016
  8. Boot up takes 2 hours!

good I was going to recommend tweaking!!!!

python134r, Feb 4, 2016
  9. Winuser Win User
    For some reason this thread just doesn't sound right to me.

Winuser, Feb 5, 2016
  10. snoopy51 Win User
    Zero Escape:

Well, there is no detailed problem description?
    What was done on permission problem or the cause of permission?
    No interaction with other members here?

Next thing you post is problem resolved with a program! Can you enlighten the poor techies here?

snoopy51, Feb 5, 2016
  11. Winuser Win User
    If it looks like spam, sounds like spam, there's a good chance it is spam.

Winuser, Feb 6, 2016
  12. b1rd Win User
    Sadly, I was sort of 'jazzed' about that tweaking program *Sad, but shady tactics makes me think twice.

Nice call!

Edit:
    Well, if this was in fact spam, I hate to further promote it, but I was curious.

The program he linked to does seem to have the ability to help in these type of circumstances. I wanted to add this, in case this might be of some help to anybody. I understand there's a portable version too.

I'm not sure about re-posting possible spam, so I'll leave the link to the program out. However, THIS was my reference. I, personally, have never heard of it before.

13. Astartiel Win User

Boot up takes 2 hours!

Everyone commenting was rather quick to assume this person was full of BS & scamming/spamming. Being that I was desperate & had spent the better part of two days trying to fix a very similar problem where after messing with my file/folder ownership & permissions, I also had a 2-3 hour startup problem, I decided to try this solution. I went to the website, downloaded the Tweaking.com software & ran it. After about 3 hours, it was finished with all of its scanning & fixing & I did a reboot. And I was delighted & surprised to see my computer boot normally! I had to share & thank the OP person for putting up this fix. Created an account just to say as much. It saved me many more hours of frustration.

PS - The humorous thing about this post & the comments is the program is free (both in cost & virus free) so not sure what all the paranoia was about.

Astartiel, Jun 22, 2016
  14. Syntackx Win User
    All,

I read this spam comment, and I did some further research. Including the [this] (see quote) link in this chain.
    I actually made the permissions mistake myself. i wanted to change permissions on a data drive and did it on C:\ *Doh
    This caused windows 10 to take up to 2 hours to boot. I thought, ok, nothing to lose (all my data is on a Network drive) I'll give this Windows Repair a go.

I used the stand alone install which you can run from a USB. It works, but do follow the instructions, especially to boot into safe mode and run the repairs multiple times.

I first ran a full repair, dutifully following all steps including disk checks, backup etc. Then I repeated the permissions repair (as I knew exactly the stupid move I made...)

This fixed the issue. It took about 4 hours on my box (an older HP home system)

Syntackx, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Boot up takes 2 hours!

1. Boot up takes 2 hours! - Similar Threads - Boot takes hours

2. Booting Windows takes hours...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting Windows takes hours...: Short question:What does that mean, what can I do? Is this an update and I just have to wait? But it has yet been booting for hours... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-windows-takes-hours/70673c92-6e92-44ca-a98f-54cb91cbea75
  3. Booting Windows takes hours...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting Windows takes hours...: Short question:What does that mean, what can I do? Is this an update and I just have to wait? But it has yet been booting for hours... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-windows-takes-hours/70673c92-6e92-44ca-a98f-54cb91cbea75
  4. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  5. taking many hours to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taking many hours to boot: hiwin10 is taking many hours to boot , it takes nearly an hour or so at each stage. yesterday it was slightl5 faster .its been for about 5 hours showing blank desktop, blue loading circle and a partly populated task bar 'clock/date and ms brower search windowyesterday it ran...
  6. taking many hours to boot

7. Pc taking 17 hours to boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc taking 17 hours to boot.: My pc is 3 years old and has 1 HD in it that isnt being recognised by windows anymore but I dont know what to do aboit it and on the first 3 months of usage it randomly decided it was going to take 30 minutes to boot. Ok by me, I can wait. Fast forward to now I was updating...
  8. Pc taking 17 hours to boot.

Pc taking 17 hours to boot.: My pc is 3 years old and has 1 HD in it that isnt being recognised by windows anymore but I dont know what to do aboit it and on the first 3 months of usage it randomly decided it was going to take 30 minutes to boot. Ok by me, I can wait. Fast forward to now I was updating...
  9. Windows takes up to an hour to boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows takes up to an hour to boot: I have reinstalled Windows on this machine, which solved the problem for a couple weeks. The computer itself works with no issue after it's up and running. It's still on an HDD, which doesn't appear to have errors, but I'll run a chkdsk to be sure. I've changed the SATA cable...
  10. 2 Hour Boot time?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    2 Hour Boot time?: Hi all, for a reason unbeknownst and unidentified by myself and geek squad after a extended period of time using my computer the next time I boot, it takes around two hours from the MOBO screen to where I can login, what could cause this? could it be my ssd? its pretty new (2...