Windows 10: Boot Windows 10 via Both USB (win to go) and SATA

Discus and support Boot Windows 10 via Both USB (win to go) and SATA in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I was wondering whether it is possible to have both a normal version of windows, and a windows to go flavour, on the same drive. So like a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JaspervB, Jun 3, 2017.

1. JaspervB Win User

Boot Windows 10 via Both USB (win to go) and SATA

Hi all,

I was wondering whether it is possible to have both a normal version of windows, and a windows to go flavour, on the same drive. So like a multi boot system, but where they share the boot partition (so the C partition)

If I should be more specific, please tell! First post...

Cheers,
    Jasper

:)

JaspervB, Jun 3, 2017

2. Can't install Windows 7 in order to upgrade to 10

Huh, I did try activating Win 10 after upgrading (where i forgot to activate RAID), and the Win 7 key didn't work. Probably because it is OEM. I am going to try burning both Win 7 and 10 to a DVD and install them via a SATA optical drive. Maybe that will
    get me past these missing USB drivers. Thanks for the reply. Much apprechiated.

MartinJepsen1997, Jun 3, 2017
  3. Gary_606 Win User
    Win 10 will not boot up with active usb devices plugged in

All USB devices keep windows 10 from booting, but work fine once system is booted.

Product Name: Presario SR1820NX MB A8N-LA Nagami Bios: 3.11

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This very old machine has run windows XP and windows 7 without error.

However windows 10 will not boot if any device is plugged into any usb port on the machine (this is new since windows 10 install). Actually this was the source of most of my upgrade failures (C1900101-20017) error in particular. It took a week of experimenting
    to discover this, and this message is being typed using my old serial keyboard and mouse on the machine. I reset the cmos and thought it might be the boot order, but it is not.

I think Microsoft has to modify the boot software as regards USB devices being present as they had it for win 7.

SOLVED: Found option to disable USB legacy devices in BIOS. Disabled it and Win 10 will now boot with USB devices plugged in.

Also a Windows 10 boot and install problem workaround as follows:

The master boot drive would not install windows 10 running off the sata port (Same drive with win 7 home installed). I don't know why as yet, but I was successful in installing windows 10 on this machine using a sata to ata converter that I had from the
    old days. The install was accomplished booting off ide ribbon cable as device 0 port 0. Windows 10 boots and runs fine with this config, but not if i put the sata cable back on... I will keep trying things to fix this as well, but for now I'm glad it is installed
    and running.

All other sata devices cause no problems. I think these two problems may be causing many of the problems with win 10 upgrades. The sata problem also causes a forever loop during the initiation of the upgrade from within win 7 with a "Working on it" message.

SOLVED: Set the sata drive with the Windows-10 boot partition in the BIOS to the primary boot drive in the boot order settings. This allowed me to remove the SATA/ATA converter and boot from the sata drive.

Some of this info may help others.

Gary_606, Jun 3, 2017
Thema:

Boot Windows 10 via Both USB (win to go) and SATA

1. Boot Windows 10 via Both USB (win to go) and SATA - Similar Threads - Boot via Both

2. Booting from USB SATA HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting from USB SATA HDD?: I just found my old HDD with Windows 7. I just plugged it into my current W10 PC (via USB-SATA adapter), i used EasyBCD and selected the drive letter of my W7HDD (G:) and added that as boot entry But when restarting, selecting the W7 entry, it shows me black screen, and no...
  3. Unable to boot to UEFI via SATA or USB device after accidentally booting from Surface Hub SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot to UEFI via SATA or USB device after accidentally booting from Surface Hub SSD: THIS IS NOT A SUPPORT REQUEST ABOUT A SURFACE PRODUCT. THIS IS A SUPPORT REQUEST FOR A PC THAT WAS DAMAGED AFTER ACCIDENTALLY BOOTING INTO A SURFACE HUB'S SSD.I was attempting to use the Surface Hub Recovery Tool to reimage the drive of our office's Surface Hub interactive...
  4. Unable to boot to UEFI via SATA or USB device after accidentally booting from Surface Hub SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot to UEFI via SATA or USB device after accidentally booting from Surface Hub SSD: I was attempting to use the Surface Hub Recovery Tool to reimage the drive of our office's Surface Hub interactive whiteboard. Long story short: the Surface Hub OS began boot looping following the latest bout of updates, requiring a BMR.When I connected the drive via a USB...
  5. Unable to boot to UEFI via SATA or USB device after accidentally booting from Surface Hub SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot to UEFI via SATA or USB device after accidentally booting from Surface Hub SSD: I was attempting to use the Surface Hub Recovery Tool to reimage the drive of our office's Surface Hub interactive whiteboard. Long story short: the Surface Hub OS began boot looping following the latest bout of updates, requiring a BMR.When I connected the drive via a USB...
  6. Installing Windows 10 on an SSD via USB to SATA adapter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on an SSD via USB to SATA adapter: I have a laptop that I want to upgrade to Windows 10. The laptop does not have a CD-ROM drive, unfortunately. What I want to do is use my desktop PC as the "host" and install the new Windows 10 Pro software to the SSD drive via a USB to SATA connector. My desktop recognizes...
  7. Win 10 boot from usb but not sata

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 boot from usb but not sata: Recently I move hard drive from old computer to my new computer. It has win 10 installed. I can only get it to boot to safe mode when it connected to sata. If I take it out and connect it to usb it will boot to win 10 fine without any problem. What could be the problem?...
  8. SSD to SATA via USB not showing on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD to SATA via USB not showing on windows 10: Hello, I did solve the problem, and I am posting because I saw many forums with the same issue and nobody was telling the correct way to solve it. Background: The computer is a laptop, the original HD is inside the laptop and it is a 2.5", normal laptop SATA connector...
  9. Need to access a Linux SATA HD (connected via a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need to access a Linux SATA HD (connected via a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter): Hope this isn't outside of the Windows10 community!? I have a SATA HD (WD30EFRX 3.0TB) connected to a Windows 10 machine via an USB 3.0 to SATA adapter. Explorer will recognize the partitions but (obviously, as they are Linux) will not access. Is there an "easy" way to...
  10. Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge?: I've just bought myself a new WD HDD, plugged it in, formatted it and given it a new drive number - all running well. I now want to copy everything from my old (smaller) HDD, so i've plugged it in to an old USB to SATA II/IDE, the computer installed the driver and the disk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bot windows 10 via sata