Windows 10: Bootable VHD's possible in Windows 10 Pro?

Discus and support Bootable VHD's possible in Windows 10 Pro? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Can't seem to find an answer to this online... I can make a bootable VHD of Win 10 in Win 7 but nobody seems to speak up about making a bootable VHD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Treeant34, May 12, 2016.

1. Treeant34 Win User

Bootable VHD's possible in Windows 10 Pro?

Can't seem to find an answer to this online...

I can make a bootable VHD of Win 10 in Win 7 but nobody seems to speak up about making a bootable VHD of previous Windows versions in Win 10...

Anyone know if it's possible?

Cheers

Looks like it is possible:

Install Hyper-V on Windows 10

Didn't think to look for Hyper V till now-oops

:)

Treeant34, May 12, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, May 12, 2016
  3. MardAZ Win User
    Windows 10 VHD Native Boot Installation--Officially Supported?

Thank you for your reply. It is not so much that I require it, but that I really like the flexibility that it allows. If I have a new piece of software that I want to test, I can simply create a new VHD boot instance and try it out, and then have the possibility
    of discarding that boot instance.

I know that VHD boot works on Windows 10, and have used it, but after being burned when trying to upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 and then from Windows 8.1 to 10 (neither allowed on a VHD boot installation), I am wondering what will the future hold for Windows
    10 "upgrades." By a Windows 10 upgrade, I am referring to that which will be deferred by checking "defer upgrades" in Windows 10 Updates Advanced Options for Windows 10 Professional.

When you say, "I don't think Microsoft have made a statement regarding the supportability of Windows 10 within a VHD boot environment." that is what troubles me. For example, see here:

Compare Windows 10 Editions | Windows for Business

When microsoft compared the features of Windows 8 (or 8.1) core vs pro, one of the items that differed between the two was VHD boot. For example, see here: http://bit.ly/1LkNMup

Makes me wonder if Microsoft will leave us in the lurch when it comes time to apply a feature upgrade to Windows 10 (as opposed to a security update).

MardAZ, May 12, 2016
Thema:

Bootable VHD's possible in Windows 10 Pro?

1. Bootable VHD's possible in Windows 10 Pro? - Similar Threads - Bootable VHD's possible

2. Is it possible to recreate an old hard drive from a .vhd file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to recreate an old hard drive from a .vhd file?: I'm trying to recreate the state my Win7 hard drive was in before I removed it from my old and scrapped 2011 HP desktop and converted it into a USB drive and began scavenging and deleting files from it.I've been transferring my old hard drive in its current state onto a...
  3. Install windows 10 pro from bootable USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install windows 10 pro from bootable USB: Hi There,I am trying to install windows 10 pro from USB, but when I turned off PC and connect the USB and turned on, it directly taking me to login page not BIOS. And, USB is showing in the file explorer, that means USB is fine. I installed windows 10 pro with the same USB on...
  4. Install windows 10 pro from bootable USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install windows 10 pro from bootable USB: Hi There,I am trying to install windows 10 pro from USB, but when I turned off PC and connect the USB and turned on, it directly taking me to login page not BIOS. And, USB is showing in the file explorer, that means USB is fine. I installed windows 10 pro with the same USB on...
  5. Install windows 10 pro from bootable USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Vhd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Vhd: How do I convert back from a vhd after I made it I realized I do not need it and it's taking up a lot of my storage space how do I flip it back into physical storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhd/21a5eb1e-18bf-4f96-88c4-0d7a95ab3a73
  7. bootable version of win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bootable version of win 10 pro: how do i download a bootable version of win 10 pro I already own win 10 pro but just had to buy a new ssd so i am trying to use my wife laptop to download to a usb bootable...
  8. Is it possible to get a virus in the bootable windows USB?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to get a virus in the bootable windows USB?: I am trying to reinstall Windows, my question is if I have a virus on my PC and I install Windows from the windows media creation tool can the virus theoretically get into the bootable usb too? submitted by /u/PureWall [link] [comments]...
  9. VHD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VHD: just a small question. can i delete a vhd after i hv mounted it permanently? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhd/deab598a-d7fe-4c5c-ace2-91003242d580
  10. Copy a VHD file from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Copy a VHD file from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro?: I have a licensed copy of XP running in XP Mode on a Win 7 Pro machine. I have seen instructions on the net for getting Hyper V up and running where I can create a new XP Mode VHD file, but, I would like to copy my own file from my Win 7 Pro machine (because it contains the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 home boot VHD