Windows 10: Booting/Fixing Windows 10 Disk.

Discus and support Booting/Fixing Windows 10 Disk. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a problem that I hope someone can shed some light on. Essentially I am trying to boot from a cloned copy of my Windows 10 on a new Samsung SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dlwmacgregor, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Booting/Fixing Windows 10 Disk.

I have a problem that I hope someone can shed some light on.
    Essentially I am trying to boot from a cloned copy of my Windows 10 on a new Samsung SSD I bought and I get an error message.
    I have 4 "active" drives...Win7 (main OS), Win7 Backup, Win10 & Win10 clone SSD.
    I use EasyBCD to dual-boot.
    What I did last year was clone my Win7 and install/upgrade to Win10 on that cloned drive.
    I boot using the BCD file on my Win7 so Win10 is booting using the Win7 BCD file...my choice.
    If I try to boot directly from my Win10 HDD from the BIOS, I get the error message (see first screen capture).

If I boot using my Win10 ISO CD and attempt a Repair, I get a message that it could not repair (see second screen capture).

As I said before, I can boot to Win10 thru my Win7 but also I cannot boot to its Win10 clone on the new SSD. I get the error message in the 3rd screen capture.

So how do I (1) fix the Win10 on the HDD so I can boot directly from it using the BIOS and (2) how do I fix the Win10 clone on the SSD so I can boot both from the BIOS and from my Win7 using EasyBCD.

Number 1 is more important than number 2.

I have also included 2 other screen captures of my current Win10 version and the "Test" version I am running all this from right now for the purposes of posting this thread (booted from Win10 ISO CD.

:)

dlwmacgregor, Dec 16, 2016

2. Error "Windows can not to be installed on this hard disk, if other media available install window to another hard disk".

Hello,,, i have problem with windows installation, after try to dual boot windows 10 and debian 8.2 my hard disk is error and cannot boot the windows 10, the disk only boot the debian os, so i am delete those operating systems and Try to install windows
    10 to the hard disk but the operating system can not istalled with the error massege "windows can not to be installed on this hard disk, if other media alvailable install windowd to another hard disk". Than i'm try to install debian 8.2 and it is succses full
    but windows fail. Is there way/program to fix this hard disk problem ?

andre hardianto, Dec 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 update

tried to update my windows 10 and my machine crashed. Now My computer won't boot. "It says that I need to put a boot disk in". I use my my restore disk but it says it can't find windows to fix. I went to the c: and I can see the drive and it has the windows
    files but something isn't right. How can I reinstall windows 10 to fix the problem?

JeffDunham, Dec 16, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Booting/Fixing Windows 10 Disk.

Ummm..... how many licenses for Windows have you purchased? The way I read your OP, it sounds like you only had the original Windows 7 license and you have cloned it and/or upgraded it a couple of times. Having multiple Windows installations running from the single license violates the EULA (end users license agreement) and the forum rules here prevent us from assisting in doing that.

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  5. Just one. I am NOT using my Win10 yet. I am keeping it up-to-date for when I do transition from Windows 7. I prefer Windows 7 anyway but it will only have support for so long.
    I use Windows 7 100% of the time.
    Cloning it as my Backup Windows 7 is perfectly legal.
    When I do finally transition to Windows10 it has to be able to boot on its own...hence the "test".
    Do you have a suggestion on how to fix my booting problem?

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The easiest/most reliable way to fix Windows boot problems has historically been Macrium Reflect's Fix Windows start problems utility. Probably the easiest way to make it is to make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's recovery tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Boot into his recovery tools, run Macrium Reflect, under the restore menu will be the utility to fix Windows start problems. You will get a list of Windows installations that it finds then in the next step you will get a list of bootable partitions available for Macrium Reflect to fix.

You can also install Macrium Reflect free - but the fix Windows start utility is only available when you actually boot the computer from a Macrium Reflect rescue drive with Windows PE:
    Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  7. I have tried the EasyRE from Neosmart (EasyBCD) and it didn't recognize the Win10 as bootable even though that partition on that hard drive is "active".
    Maybe your suggestion will work.
    I'll give it try and report back.
    Thank you.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  9. Macrium ready to go.
    Here's the Disk Management screen capture.
    C: IS Win 7 (boot).
    F: is Win 10 HDD
    G: is Corsair SSD (utility drive - non OS).
    H: is Win7 Backup
    J: and L: are external USB Backup Drives.
    : is my Brother Printer Card Reader.

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Macrium Reflect should be able to hook you up.

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  11. That is one impressive program.
    It found all my "active" bootable disks and identified their OS correctly.
    I asked it to boot from the Windows 10 HDD and it did its thing.
    I rebooted and there were 3 new entries in the BCD Boot Menu... Windows 7 - My W7 Backup, Windows 10 - my Win10 HDD and a second
    Windows 10 - my Win10 SSD.
    I was able to boot into all of them from the one menu. Previously to get into my W7 Backup to verify it, I had to boot to that hard drive directly from the BIOS.
    The only nit is that it made my W7 Backup the default entry which I was able to change with EasyBCD.
    I am definitely impressed, not only with the application but at the speed with which you specifically and Tenforums in general responded.
    Thank you!

dlwmacgregor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Booting/Fixing Windows 10 Disk. - Similar Threads - Booting Fixing Disk

2. Changing Windows 10 Boot Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Windows 10 Boot Disk: Hello,I have a slightly old Dell Precision T1700 with an IntelR XeonR CPU. The PC came with a 118GB SSD which has never been enough space for my needs.I bought a 1TB Crucial SSD and cloned the 118GB SSD onto it.I'm now trying to get my PC to boot from the 1TB SSD but I'm not...
  3. Changing Windows 10 Boot Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Windows 10 Boot Disk: Hello,I have a slightly old Dell Precision T1700 with an IntelR XeonR CPU. The PC came with a 118GB SSD which has never been enough space for my needs.I bought a 1TB Crucial SSD and cloned the 118GB SSD onto it.I'm now trying to get my PC to boot from the 1TB SSD but I'm not...
  4. Changing Windows 10 Boot Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Fix Cloned SSD or Hard Disk won’t boot Windows 10 or Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Cloned SSD or Hard Disk won’t boot Windows 10 or Windows 11: [ATTACH]To eliminate the need to reinstall Windows 11 or Windows 10 on a new drive, most PC users prefer to directly clone the HDD and then migrate the installation to the SSD – but in some cases, after transferring the Windows installation to the SSD, the drive may fail to...
  6. Windows 10 will not boot, No disk found after converting disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 will not boot, No disk found after converting disk: Converted primary/Dynamic Disk0 where I have c drive with windows 10pro from mbr to gpt on my 2 year old DELL notebook after removing 2 logical partition and kept 3 pri.ary partitions. So all I have were 4 primary partitions. One has system restore two are system partitions....
  7. Creating a Boot Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Creating a Boot Disk in Windows 10: I want to create a simple boot disk that will boot into Windows recovery.I tried in 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' and selected 'Create a system repair disk' but,it tells me there files needed to create a system repair disk were not found...'I get no other instructions....
  8. Windows 10 usb boot disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 usb boot disk: Hello! I'd like to reinstall my Windows 10 home on my laptop, because of very slow startup and poor performance. After I've reset my bios settings to default the blue screen made me think of reinstalling the whole program. And here comes the usb disk question. After a few...
  9. How to fix boot to disk in Windows 10 v1607 with legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to fix boot to disk in Windows 10 v1607 with legacy BIOS: Hello, I have an Asus U46E laptop (circa 2011) originally purchased with Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit and problem free. It's since been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64Bit v.1607 and in all respects but one seems to be working fine. It won't launch from a rescue boot disk in the...
  10. Windows 10 boot fix

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boot fix: Hello ^_^ My original os is win7 then i upgraded to 10... After a while of using it... It opens the Blue screen saying unmountable boot volume.. Next i rebooted it, it says "preparing automatic repair" i tried to wait.. But after it says that, it goes to a black screen...