Windows 10: Booting from a Cloned Partition

Discus and support Booting from a Cloned Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have cloned a partition using AOEMI Backupper and I have tried to find out how to make the cloned partition bootable. No luck with that. Note that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nolly1959, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Nolly1959 Win User

Booting from a Cloned Partition

I have cloned a partition using AOEMI Backupper and I have tried to find out how to make the cloned partition bootable. No luck with that. Note that this PC has one Hard Drive and which is UEFI/GPT based. Is it possible to make the cloned partition (G) bootable. The identifier for the cloned partition shows 'default'!

Norman

:)

Nolly1959, Mar 24, 2018

2. changing my (C) drive to another installed disk without removing old disk

Did you test the UEFI/BIOS Boot menu key to see if it offers a choice of UEFI drives to boot and will boot either or both? If so set the clone as first in Boot Order Priority in UEFI Setup.

If not power down, swap the cable from DISK0 to DISK2, unplug DISK1, start up to see if it will boot the clone by itself from the old drive's cable.

If so add the other drives back to DISK 1 and 2, see if it still boots, and if so you're good to go.

If not, plug it back as shown in screenshot, right click the EFI partition in Disk Management to add a Drive Letter.

Install EasyBCD from this link, no email address needed, just click Download:
    http://neosmart.net/Download/Register/1

Start EasyBCD, on Add New Entry tab, add the EFI System partition from the cloned drive by drive letter and type, give it a label that's distinct, Save changes.
    http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/EasyBCD+B...

Restart PC to see if it created a Dual Boot menu, choose the Clone drive, if it Starts install EasyBCD or open msconfig > Boot tab to Edit OS menu, set clone as Default, remove boot menu or set timeout to 0 or lowest.

If Easy will not configure using the clone's EFI System partition, you'll need to add a drive letter to the Windows partition on the cloned drive, add one EasyBCD Add New Entry tab, then on Edit Boot menu tab remove the EFI System from booting the clone. This
    means the clone will be dependent upon the old EFI System partition to boot it until you reinstall correctly with all drives unplugged.

Report back on each step.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 24, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Replace?

Click HERE to Download the free version of AOMEI Partition Assistant and use it to clone the old drive onto the new drive

For information on how to clone the Drive using AOMEI Partition Assistant -
    Click HERE

Then remove the old drive and boot from the new Drive (Set the new drive as first device in boot order in your BIOS)

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Mar 24, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Post image of partitions.

If G is clone of C partition do this from admin command prompt.

bcdboot G:\windows

cereberus, Mar 24, 2018
  5. Nolly1959 Win User
    I am sure that I have tried this but I will give it another try.

Nolly1959, Mar 24, 2018
  6. Nolly1959 Win User
    Tried that and when attempting to boot from the cloned partition I get an occasional busy symbol. If you leave it for a while, on returning there is lots of disk activity and the busy symbol is flashing away. Earlier today I left it like this for well over an hour without booting.

Booting from a Cloned Partition [​IMG]

Nolly1959, Mar 24, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
  8. Nolly1959 Win User

Downloaded and installed
    Manage EFI/UEFI Boot Options & Manage EFI System Partitions & Fix EFI/UEFI Boot Issues

from Hasleo. This is version 3.1 and says it is a free trial. Not sure how to proceed.

Nolly1959, Mar 24, 2018
  9. Samuria Win User
  10. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Mar 24, 2018
  11. Nolly1959 Win User
    OK Sumuria, I will take a look on YouTube.

Cerebus, I have Macrium Reflect and have already built a Rescue Disk. I have been unable to resolve my Boot problem with the rescue disk.

Thanks to you both.

Nolly1959, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Booting from a Cloned Partition - Similar Threads - Booting Cloned Partition

2. Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Clone Fails to Boot Resized Partitions: Hi all, I'm having trouble getting a bootable image, cloning from GPT/UEFI and restoring to same GPT/UEFI. I needed to clean reinstall for unrelated reasons, and thought I should use the opportunity to switch to GPT/UEFI. I've done the following... The OS works great. But...
  3. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...
  4. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...
  5. Clone OS partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clone OS partition: Hey, I’m having trouble moving my windows 10 install over to my new ssd. I have tried cloning the entire disk and or all partitions from old to new drive using easeus, minitool, and aomei, but nothing seems to work after if clone everything, I restarted pc and booted from new...
  6. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  7. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  8. Cloning Profile Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning Profile Partition: Quite some time ago, with lots of help from folks here, I put my boot partition and user profiles/data on separate hard drives, C: and D:, respectively. Recently, the drive for my user profiles, D:, started having a SMART error. This prevented a normal reboot sequence which...
  9. Clone Windows Partition

Clone Windows Partition: I want to clone my windows partition to a 250GB SSD. C currently resides on a 3TB drive that has 4 other partitions on it. Using Macrium I can see the C partition fine along with the rest. I only want the C to be cloned and not the rest which obviously wont fit anyway. Do I...
  10. How do I boot off the partition I cloned, not the original partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I boot off the partition I cloned, not the original partition: So I'm having a lot of trouble doing my Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade (long story, other threads here), and then I realized that if I screwed up, I could damage my Windows partition *Mad, which also contains like 100+ GB of installed programs (but no real user data). I figured that...