Windows 10: Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation

Discus and support Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm in a bit of a situation of my own causing here. I had a lot of trouble opening up my new laptop to install an nvme drive (HP among... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jfp555, Sep 27, 2017.

1. jfp555 Win User

Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a situation of my own causing here. I had a lot of trouble opening up my new laptop to install an nvme drive (HP among others has begun using locktite like solutions to render maintenance and repair of devices difficult), so I installed the nvme (the original boot drive was a 7200 rpm hdd), and used samsungs data migration tool to clone the drive. And put the machine together again.

I can boot from the SSD after using bcdedit, but it gives me an OS choice that I would like to remove at bootup and remove the windows install from the hdd without removing or disconnecting the drive.

The crux of my issue is that I seek a solution that does not require the removal of the laptops backplate again to disconnect the drive. The cloned drive is working perfectly.

:)

jfp555, Sep 27, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

changing my (C) drive to another installed disk without removing old disk

Hi phillkinn,

If the clone was successful:

Remove the old SSD

Plug the new SSD into the same SATA Port on the Motherboard

Go into BIOS and disable Secure Boot

Boot your PC and it should just boot from the cloned drive

Then format the old SSD and connect it your PC

DaveM121, Sep 27, 2017
  3. kjl1956 Win User
    How do I set my new SSD as the only Boot/System drive?

If you remove the windows 7 drive from the pc it will not boot.

Deleting the option to boot win 7 does not change where the win 10

boot loader is stored, it is still on the disk 0

It may be possible to copy or clone the windows bootloader to an empty space on drive 1.

The only other way is to clean install to the ssd with the old drive removed.

Or remove the ssd install win10 to that drive then clone the old drive to the ssd

Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

kjl1956, Sep 27, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Post image of disk partitions from disk management. I fear the boot files are on hdd.

If so, we will need to move them to the ssd before wiping hdd or else pc will not boot.

There is no need to remove drives - problem is easily sorted, but we need to check your disk partitions first to do it in right order.

cereberus, Sep 27, 2017
  5. jfp555 Win User
    Here is the setup:

the 230gb drive is the SSD.

Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation [​IMG]

jfp555, Sep 27, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    • Win+R
    • Type: msconfig, click on "Boot" tab
    • You'd see 2 entries. Click to hilite the one you want to delete then click "Delete"

topgundcp, Sep 28, 2017
  7. jfp555 Win User
    Much thanks! It solved the problem instantly.

Any idea what would be the ideal way to clean the 1tb drive ? I tried diskpart clean command but it did not allow me to perform that action on a drive with windows files and efi partition etc on it. Boot from a live linux usb and do it?

+rep

jfp555, Sep 28, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

Install Partition Wizard, it`ll do it.

Have you made certain the ssd boots on it`s own yet ?

It does look ok, but I would not format the hard drive until you know the ssd boots on its own.

AddRAM, Sep 28, 2017
  9. essenbe Win User
    You should be able to do it from the recovery environment. Boot to the recovery options, use command prompt. I would disconnect the disk you want to keep, drive letters are different in recovery.

Or you could go just like you were doing a clean install and use the advanced options and delete each partition.

It can also be done from a Bootable rescue disk.

As @AddRAM said, Partition Wizard can do it as well.

essenbe, Sep 28, 2017
  10. jfp555 Win User
    Much thanks for the helpful advice.

After the failed diskpart, the 1tb drive refused to show up in the file manager.

Fortunately I had installed Lubuntu on a USB. I booted from that, and deleted all partitions on the 1tb drive except the recovery one.

After booting into windows again, I used dskmgmt.exe to reformat the empty space into a NTFS partition. The Recovery partition I left alone, but I cannot see the recovery partition in windows explorer. Although its not a problem at the moment, I would still like to know how to access it should something go south.

jfp555, Sep 28, 2017
  11. essenbe Win User
    I believe That is the OEM Recovery partition to recover what was originally installed on your Laptop. I would think you wouldn't need it.

You could use Macrium Reflect to create an image on an external drive that could be restored if needed. You can't see it because it has no drive letter and was designed that way.

essenbe, Sep 28, 2017
  12. AddRAM Win User
    The Recovery partition would be used at 1st boot (there's a function key to start it, the screen would show you) or from within windows.

If you make an image as Steve has suggested, you will never need it.

If you don't have an external you can store an image on the 1TB drive, it`s better than not having an image at all.

AddRAM, Sep 28, 2017
  13. topgundcp Win User

Using dispart "clean" command should wipe out the whole disk and leave it unallocated, you'd need to re-create the partition(s) and format, you probably did not use it correctly. Here's an example to clean disk 0.
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit

If you want to delete a system partition (EFI or Recovery...) You would have to first select the partition then use override option to delete it. Example:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    delete partition override
    exit

will delete the EFI partition

NOTE: The reason you did not see the 12GB Recovery partition because there's no letter assigned to it so it is hidden.

topgundcp, Sep 28, 2017
  14. jfp555 Win User
    Much thanks for the guidance and info. I am going to let the recovery partition remain where it is, much simpler to get the system up and running in the shortest amount of time.

Thanks a lot for your patience and in depth responses, everyone. Greatly appreciate the help provided. *Smile

jfp555, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Booting from cloned SSD, removal of old installation - Similar Threads - Booting cloned SSD

2. Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.: Hello, I’ve recently cloned my 500gb m.2 ssd to a new 1TB ssd, and deleted the data on the original ssd. Upon restarting my pc it out me to a BSOD. I downloaded windows onto a USB with Rufus, and was able to get to the CMD. I’ve tried all the basic commands such as boot rec...
  3. Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows unable to boot from cloned SSD.: Hello, I’ve recently cloned my 500gb m.2 ssd to a new 1TB ssd, and deleted the data on the original ssd. Upon restarting my pc it out me to a BSOD. I downloaded windows onto a USB with Rufus, and was able to get to the CMD. I’ve tried all the basic commands such as boot rec...
  4. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  5. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  6. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  7. Cant boot from my cloned ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant boot from my cloned ssd: I was having trouble booting from my SSD after cloning my HDD. Everything went fine until I tried to go into bios and have it boot from the SSD. While in the bios the SSD didn't show up until I turn on legacy support. I changed the boot order so it would boot from the SSD and...
  8. Laptop won't boot from cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop won't boot from cloned SSD: Good morning, I have a Lenovo laptop which has a 256GB M.2 SSD. All works great, but I want to install a larger SSD. I have cloned the old drive to the new Crucial SSD, but the laptop will not boot from it. It just responds with 'Inaccessible drive'. I have done or...
  9. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD: Hi, My old SSD (with windows 10 installed) is not big enough, so I bought a new one, Samsung 970 EVO with NVMe. After cloning my old SSD to the new one using Clonezilla and replacing the SSD, I was not able to boot to Windows. I selected the Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS...
  10. Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Allocation of new SSD and removal of old after cloning.....: Hi guys Would really appreciate some help here, and hopefully I'll be able to explain in as simplest terms as possible so as not to confuse. It may be a bit long winded but I think for someone to be able to help me they need to understand the why's and wherefore's lol - so...