Windows 10: Booting from USB stick or DVD

Discus and support Booting from USB stick or DVD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Stevekir Win User

Booting from USB stick or DVD

Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be selected and would run Windows 10.

Q1: Would that work?

I will need to test this even when the W10 on the SSD is running normally.

Q2: When I test this, would the version of W10 on the SSD remain unaffected (not overwritten partly or wholey) so that when afterwards rebooting normally (on the SSD) I would return exactly as I was before with programs and settings preserved?

(I am asking this because I am planning a recovery plan where the Windows on the SSD goes bad, as happened recently. When testing the plan, before any fault, obviously I don't want to mess my OS on the SSD which, at the moment, is running properly).

Thanks.

:)

Stevekir, Apr 24, 2017
  2. Martmcd Win User

I can have Windows 10 as a standalone download for free, which can be burnt onto a DVD to be used an a Windows 10 installation disc.

1) I don't think it matters but, I would suggest English (as that is what you are upgrading)

2) if you download the ISO you can burn a (bootable) DVD yourself, have a look at

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool for creating USB drive

if you let the Media Creation Tool burn the DVD for you, you may be able to copy it to a USB stick (never tried it) but, you wont be able to boot from it.

If you use the Media Creation tool to create a bootable USB stick you wont be able to copy that to a DVD but most modern devices that allow booting from DVD will also boot from a USB stick

Martmcd, Apr 24, 2017
  3. Reboot

You will likely need installation media (DVD/USB stick) to boot from and install from scratch.

Shenan Stanley, Apr 24, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Best recovery method is this:-

Install Macrium Reflect Free and create image backup of ssd to another drive.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect - Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

cereberus, Apr 24, 2017
  5. Stevekir Win User
    Stevekir, Apr 24, 2017
  6. johngalt Win User
    johngalt, Apr 24, 2017
  7. johngalt Win User
    johngalt, Apr 24, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Then use another image tool eg AOEMI Backupper.

If you do want to create a bootable flash drive, you can now do it as a UEFI install assuming you are running version 1703.

This is very easy using wintousb version 3.5 (UEFI boot manager, Windows To Go Creator, Free Data Recovery, All-in-One Microsoft Windows Setup software).

1) Install winto usb

2) select iso and version of windows

3) select flash drive (recommend fast usb3 32+GB eg San Cruzer Extreme)

4) choose mbr for bios or gpt for uefi (can only do latter if running version 1703)

5) click on button legacy (mbr bios or gpt EUFI)

That's it - just let it do job - say 30 mins.

cereberus, Apr 24, 2017
  9. Stevekir Win User
    cereberus:

Your method looks attractive, but I'm stuck already at your step 2. Please see the attachment. There is nothing there to select either an image, or to specify the Operating system (its Creators).

And how do I find out the architecture?

Thanks.

Booting from USB stick or DVD [​IMG]

Stevekir, Apr 24, 2017
  10. RolandJS Win User
    "Yes. I know, I have Macrium, but I want another way to recover. Eggs in baskets etc..." stevekir
    I feel eggactly the same way, that's why I also use Image for Windows on a rotating basis. Of course, you can use any other backup/restore/clone program, free or pay-for, that you feel comfortable with. And, I have two dedicated pancake-sized usb 1B HDs for each computer, to head off any temporary "logical" error in any one HD out of two.

RolandJS, Apr 24, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Next to the image file: box is a button that allows you to browse for an image. I would assume that would be what you would click and select the Windows 10 ISO file as the image. It might also be the install.wim file or install.esd file inside the \sources folder in the ISO file, I am not sure. After you select that image, then the box below that should populate with the different Windows versions and architectures available in that image. Architecture just means 32-bit or 64-bit.

Booting from USB stick or DVD [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Apr 24, 2017
  12. Stevekir Win User
    cereberus:

Thannks for your help.

When I click on that button and navigate to the folder where I keep my Macrium backed up image files, it is empty, despite the fact that it has four images when I open that same folder in file explorer. I think the problem is that images made by Macrium Reflect have their file type is .mrimg WinToUSB lists the files it recognises (I assume) at the slot at the bottom of its open Explorer folder and these are .iso, .wim, and .esd. I have never heard of the last two.

> Do you (or anyone else watching) know if Macrium's image files can be converted to one of these three types? There is nothing on Google. Perhaps Macrium image files are a proprietory type, and there seems no option to get Macrium to produce .iso, .esd or .wm files. So it seems I am sunk.

> Does anyone recommend a backup software that will produce an .iso, .esd or .wim image file of my C: drive?

Stevekir, Apr 24, 2017
  13. johngalt Win User

I think you're mistaken about what that utility does. See the quotation below with the boldfaced red-colored font.

WintoUSB creates a bootable Windows installation that runs off the USB directly

See Best Windows To Go Creator to create portable Windows 10/8/7 USB drive! for more information.

johngalt, Apr 25, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    click on icon at end of image file entry box and navigate to where iso is.

cereberus, Apr 25, 2017
  15. Stevekir Win User
    Thanks folks, but the makers of WinToUSB say that Macrium's mrimg images are a propriatory type and WinToUSB cannot read .iso, .wim and esd images. I have searched but cannot find anything that would convert a Macrium image to one of these file formats. So WinToUSB is not for me.

Thanks for the help.

Stevekir, Apr 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Booting from USB stick or DVD - Similar Threads - Booting USB stick

2. Unmountable Boot volume, event cannot run from DVD or USB Stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unmountable Boot volume, event cannot run from DVD or USB Stick: My PC Suddenly turned off, when i tried to restart the Bluescreen with the code UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME appeared.I tried inserting the Win10 DVD... Endless spinning.I made a USB Bootable and tried to boot from that. Endless spinning. Is there a way to enter recovery mode...
  3. Unmountable Boot volume, event cannot run from DVD or USB Stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable Boot volume, event cannot run from DVD or USB Stick: My PC Suddenly turned off, when i tried to restart the Bluescreen with the code UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME appeared.I tried inserting the Win10 DVD... Endless spinning.I made a USB Bootable and tried to boot from that. Endless spinning. Is there a way to enter recovery mode...
  4. Unmountable Boot volume, event cannot run from DVD or USB Stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Error booting from a USB stick?

Error booting from a USB stick?: I have an 8gb botbar USB stick with Windows 10, when I plug it into my PC and want to boot from it, the message like in this picture appears. What can I do? I can't find the right solution. Thanks in advance! Picture source:...
  6. Booting Windows 7 from a USB stick

Booting Windows 7 from a USB stick: In Windows 7, which option do I choose to boot my laptop from a usb stick - USB Key, USB FDD or USB HDD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-windows-7-from-a-usb-stick/aa67b3fd-54d6-4220-b2ca-ed65acb9caf2
  7. Can't boot from USB stick

Can't boot from USB stick: I have Windows 10 currently installed on my PC. I want to go back to Windows 7, and I have a USB stick with the Windows 7 setup files. When my computer is starting up, I press esc to open the bios menu, then select boot device, then I select the USB with the Windows 7 setup...
  8. boot from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    boot from USB stick?: Hi All, I just purchased a new windows 10, which came as a USB Flash stick and Im curious if I can use it as an emergency boot USB? in case computer wont boot normally? Thnx! 21792
  9. Can't boot from usb dvd

Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...
  10. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...