Windows 10: Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode

Discus and support Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I have a system recently converted to UEFI using MBR2GPT. Today I created a bootable DVD using Kyhi's Recovery Tools ISO and want to run it up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TraceyW, Nov 21, 2017.

1. TraceyW Win User

Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode

Hi

I have a system recently converted to UEFI using MBR2GPT. Today I created a bootable DVD using Kyhi's Recovery Tools ISO and want to run it up to find out exactly what I've got and how it works. Snag is I can't boot up from CD or DVD - my system just hangs.

I've done some searching on the internet and find that I have to disable Secure Boot in the UEFI firmware. I can't, I haven't got that option - although I have been told that Secure Boot will only appear if I have UEFI Only selected. It doesn't, I've checked. What I do have, however, is a setting called Storage Boot Option Control with the options Disabled, UEFI Only, Legacy Only, Legacy First and UEFI First - in that order. Does that mean anything to anyone? It's a Gigabyte Z97P-D3 mobo. When I converted to UEFI I made no changes (under advice) to my mobo firmware which is set to UEFI and Legacy - the other options are UEFI Only and Legacy Only.

When it comes to the boot sequence, first in the list is Windows Boot Manager followed by the disk model - the CD/DVD reader is second. Swapping them around just results in a flashing cursor on the screen.

My question therefore is: just how do I get my PC to boot from CD or DVD? I have a strong feeling that NavyLCDR would say I should use BCDboot with the ALL switch to copy both the UEFI and BIOS files to the System Reserved partition since currently I only have the files for UEFI in there as far as I am aware. Certainly its only around 10.6MB at present whereas BIOS files take up something like 30MB as far as I can recall.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Tracey

:)

TraceyW, Nov 21, 2017

2. Windows 10 licence

Try recreating the USB using the instructions in my previous reply. If you had already done so using MCT, then it shouldn't matter. See instructions how to boot using legacy mode on UEFI firmware systems:

BIOS/UEFI Setup Guide: Boot from a CD, DVD, USB
    Drive or SD Card

Andre Da Costa, Nov 21, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 21, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Just use a flash drive as follows

1) mount iso as a drive by right clicking on iso

2) format a flash drive (2GB or greater) as fat32

3) copy all files from iso to flash drive, and safely eject it

4) make sure bios is set to boot from flash drive

5) Insert flash drive and boot PC.

cereberus, Nov 21, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    How did you create the DVD? Does it have the .ISO file saved to it, or does it have the files and folders contained within the ISO file saved to it?

You can try changing the storage option boot control to UEFI first.

As @cereberus stated....sometimes USB flash drives are easier to boot from.

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2017
  6. fireberd Win User
    Just to verify the disc is actually bootable, download (if you don't have it) the free Macrium Reflect V7 and create the bootable rescue disk, which uses WinPE. Try booting with that and if it works, then the disc you have been trying to boot with is bad.

If you don't have a program to backup (image) your drive then you need Macrium (or some other) anyway and should be making full disc images.

fireberd, Nov 21, 2017
  7. TraceyW Win User
    Many thanks for your responses.

I've been trying the various things suggested but nothing has worked.

First I tried a flash drive in exactly the way that cereberus said. I literally copied the ISO files to the flash drive having first formatted it to Fat32. There was one slight deviation from the instructions in that I cannot make my PC boot from a USB drive unless the flash drive is inserted before making the change in the F/W, it won't show up unless I insert the drive. When I do insert it it shows up twice, once as "UEFI: Sandisk" and again as just "Sandisk" I opted to use Sandisk followed by UEFI: Sandisk followed by CD/DVD drive followed by Windows Boot Manager. Nothing happened - it just sat there winking a white cursor at me.

I then tried fireberd's idea but that equally drew a blank.

NavyLCDR - I burnt the ISO to the disc using an ISO file CDBurner XP. I must be honest and say that I was under the impression that to make something bootable it was more than just a case of copying the boot files to the media hence the need to burn a DVD. Before I post this I'm going to try something else. I'm back again and yes, I've finally managed to do it.

What I tried was to create a USB flash drive with the ISO using the Windows USB DVD Download Tool. Looked like everything was going fine until the end when said it couldn't create the files. Not to be deterred, I had look to see what else there was and I found several tools that would do the job. I opted for Rufus, got it going and burned a bootable USB flash drive, went into the mobo f/w made the necessary changes, saved it and exited. And it booted up nicely and its quite some disk isn't it.

Nevertheless folks, I feel I have to get booting with a CD/DVD sorted as I have several disks all ready for use should an emergency arise but if I can't boot from them I'll be in a right pickle. There has to be something I'm missing - and by all accounts, I'm not the only one having trouble if you check on the internet. I've read of others having to disable their Secure Boot and also do something else but I can't remember what, I think it may have been to switch back to Legacy mode but can't be sure. Neither can I remember where I saw it.

Whilst I now have a means of being able to boot into Kyhi's disk I'm hoping you may be able to think of something else for me to try re booting from CD/DVD.

Tracey

PS Very sorry for the long post.

TraceyW, Nov 21, 2017
  8. Kyhi Win User

Once the USB is made - you would boot UEFI:Sandisk
    You should see the OEM logo

Allow it to Load - it will take a little while.....

The whole program loads into system memory..
    And the program expanded is rather large.

Also if using UEFI to boot you need my x64 ISO
    UNLESS you have an ATOM processor then you would use x86 ISO

How much memory your pc have?

9. Kyhi Win User
    when Burning CD/DVD the disk itself has to contain a boot sector or boot flag on the disk...
    so the PC knows the disk is bootable and not just a DATA disk..

Otherwise the contents are just data..
    Or I could be wrong... Have not used Disc's in many years...
    but remember having to select make disk bootable before burning..

Free ISO Burner
    LSoft Technologies Inc. Data recovery software

10. TraceyW Win User
    Thanks for getting back to me Kyhi.

Where I was going wrong was in just copying the files to the flash drive rather than burning using an ISO burner to burn the ISO to the drive. I thought something was wrong in all honesty before I did it but decided I'd follow instructions to the letter as near as possible. When I did get it going the drive simply showed up as Sandisk in the F/W so I just stayed with that and everything booted up just fine. Just to put your mind at ease I do have the 64-bit version of the file and I've got 8GB RAM.

I've just burned a second DVD using the program you pointed me to and tried booting an old spare PC (definitely NOT UEFI) we have upstairs. Although it took a long time it did get there and I did a backup whilst I was there. I've no reason at all to suppose the first disk is a dud either - either disk will do the job certainly on BIOS PC but at present not on mine although I will have another go and see if I can get it going.

Again thanks for your responses.
    Tracey

TraceyW, Nov 22, 2017
  11. Kyhi Win User
    The above is all that is needed for UEFI Booting from USB Stick...

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    and mark the FAT32 partition as active and that is all that is needed for legacy BIOS Booting from USB Stick....

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2017
  13. TraceyW Win User

Ahh! That's where I was going wrong when I first tried with a flash drive - I didn't mark it as Active. I've just checked the flash drive that did work and yes it is marked as Active.

Following on from yesterday's exchange of posts I've now placed an order for a job lot of five 4GB flash drives that I can use in place of CDs/DVDs and I'll do the necessary to create emergency flash drives. One thing does occur to me though: You can't create a Windows Repair Disk on USB flash drive but you CAN create a Windows USB Recovery Drive. However, can you do three restarts to repair the boot files should something mess up the booting process and whilst this still applies to my husbands PC and our old spare PC, does it still apply to mine since it is now running on UEFI? A lot of questions but I'm beginning to wonder whether it was such a bright idea to convert to UEFI!

Perhaps you can put my mind at ease over this - please???

Tracey

TraceyW, Nov 22, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you have to set the FAT32 partition as active in order to get the computer to boot from the flash drive, then the computer is booting that flash drive in legacy BIOS mode and not UEFI mode. With the flash drive inserted, you should see two boot options for it. Something like UEFI - SanDisk or UEFI - USB drive, or UEFI OS on P[x] with [x] being a port number and another option without UEFI in front of it. Anyway - the option with UEFI in front of it is what you want, and that should not require the FAT32 partition to be marked as active. You can leave the partition marked active and it will be a flash drive that should boot both UEFI and legacy BIOS.

As far as a recovery drive vs. a repair disk - the standard Windows 10 installation drive created by the Media Creation Tool is a repair drive also. All the options for repair Windows that you get from three restarts to repair the boot files are also available by just booting the computer from a standard Windows 10 installation drive created by the MCT. And they seldom work. Kyhi's recovery tools drive from this forum has programs that are much better at fixing boot problems then the standard Windows 10 installation drive is. As long as you can boot the computer in UEFI mode from the flash drive, it will work equally as well on a UEFI computer as it does a legacy BIOS computer.

A recovery drive should also have the standard repair tools available as well, but will also contain computer specific files to more fully recover a system - such as manufacturer's "bloatware" and hardware specific drivers.

Then there are recovery drives which are used to restore system image backup files, and those recovery drives need to contain the same program that is being used to create the system image backup files with, such as Macrium Reflect.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2017
  15. TraceyW Win User
    Thanks a lot for the write up NavyLCDR. I think its helped to clarify things for me but I do still have a problem.

Yes, I can boot Kyhi's tools from flash drive and I think I shall have to settle for that - but the two disks I burned, there is no way they will boot the PC. When I check Disk Management with one of them it claims there is no media inserted and the other is just ignored when I try booting with it and the PC just continues loading Windows. Its not as though I don't check the boot sequence each time - I do and save it to make sure the CD/DVD unit is the prime boot device Two other disks I have, one for Macrium and another for Partition Wizard Pro boots up just fine so I think it has to be something to do with the two disks I burnt. Strange particularly since the disk not recognised on my PC booted our spare PC last night.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste any more DVDs so I'll just have to keep a hold on the flash drive. Neither am I going waste any more of your time. You've been more than generous in answering my queries over the last few weeks and believe me it is very much appreciated. Hopefully you can get to helping others now as I don't know of any other problems I need help on and you've done quite enough for myself.

Thank you very much indeed.
    All the best
    Tracey

TraceyW, Nov 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Booting from WinPE CD/DVD Whilst in UEFI Mode - Similar Threads - Booting WinPE DVD

2. UEFI Boot Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    UEFI Boot Mode: A year or so ago, I had a software kaboom in my Dell All in 1. It required that I switch to legacy boot mode, and then restart in Safe mode to get it going again. I have, some time ago tried to get UEFI boot mode back on but it did not work. Now I see the Win 11 will require...
  3. Unable to boot rescue from CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to boot rescue from CD/DVD: I'm using Win 10 x 64 pro, version 10.0.19041 Build 19041, refurbished HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF. Created rescue disc ( v. RE) with MR free 7.2, then how do I boot with it when the Legacy Boot version doesn't respond in the Boot options? Thank you for ideas. barsim 164637
  4. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI: HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10. So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard...
  5. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI: HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10. So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard...
  6. Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI: Hello, I tried to add a DVD to boot sequence but I couldn't find an option for this. I tried Dell's recommendation but they indicate that hardware might not be recognized by the system. I did use the DVD to install Win 10 initially, but it doesn't show up. Can someone explain...
  7. Boot from CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from CD/DVD: I need to run the gparted (Linux app) booting from the CDROM. Now I do not find the option for booting from CD/DVD in windows 10 any more. I have done it before, but it seems to have disappeared in Windows 10. Any Ideas? 59956
  8. UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails: Hi On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed."...
  9. How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD

How to create a UEFI bootable CD or DVD: Hi my bootable DVD's, including my W7 and W8 installl disks and my Hirem boot disk do not boot up in my new PC which has a UEFI, no legacy option. The setup is to boot to the DVD drive first but it does not happen. I believe there is a technique for W7 but it seems...
  10. Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation

Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation: How do I set my BIOS to have the DVD boot and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode? I do see a setting on my Asus motherboard UEFI "CSM Compatability" and in there are three options: UEFI and Legacy OPROM Legacy OPROM only UEFI only Do I select UEFI only option here? What...