Windows 10: Booting problem turned in to BSOD problem

Discus and support Booting problem turned in to BSOD problem in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Now I have a problem with Windows 10 booting that I believe that i made it only worse and seriously i need quick help as it turned in to a BSOD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Zeinobia, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Zeinobia Win User

Booting problem turned in to BSOD problem

Now I have a problem with Windows 10 booting that I believe that i made it only worse and seriously i need quick help as it turned in to a BSOD problem. I am sorry but it is a bit long
    My laptop is dell xps 15 9530, originally with windows 8 , I upgraded to windows 10 64-bit
    On Saturday I noticed I may have malware after seeing strange ads and sites appearing suddenly unexpectedly on my google chrome
    I downloaded adwcleaner and I ran it. It showed that I got at least 7 or 8 malware files after the first scan.
    I chose to terminate those files which I can not remember their names unfortunately. Then the application asked me to reboot to complete cleaning the laptop from those malware files.
    I rebooted the laptop and since then I have not been able to log into my windows account.
    At first, I got the dell screen while booting for a minute or two then I find a message that laptop is diagnosing the problem and attempting to solve it then after of couple minutes I am taken to the blue restart options page and asked if I want to reset my windows or try other advanced problems.

I did not have a windows 10 recovery USB then.
    I could not restore my window to earlier time as it says that a restoration point did not exist which is untrue then I found out that I can not get into to safe mode.
    I was able to find command prompt working though only to find that the c:\ became x:\windows/system32
    Through registry I found out the the booting drive was now x.
    Thankfully C drive is there and fine.
    After spending two days reading different guides here and there on iPhone I managed to restore back c:/ using cmd commands and then I got the famous BSOD
    The special reset and others options blue page disappeared. Only the F8 options were there.
    I noticed that there was no response on the Dell boot page when I chose Safe Mode options "aka loading" but there was some loading reaction when I chose the "No drive signature" option but nevertheless it led to nothing.
    I got a windows 10 USB on Tuesday and i attempted to fix the boot but it did not work.

I continued to attempt fixing the boot through cmd and its commands. I think I made it worse as now i have got two windows boot manager. Do not ask me how !!*Rolleyes

I continued to read and mess around with CMD to find it is back to x: as x:\Sources. *Rolleyes
    What shall I do ? I do not want to have a clean installation for windows honestly .

:)

Zeinobia, Jun 27, 2017

2. Turn OFF windows 10 updates

When the update is removed. it will then come back, even if you hide it.

Help me get rid of Windows 10.

I found an article the show how to take ownership of the GWX folder and then disable the scheduled task.

Maybe this is what I need to do.

Problem User, Jun 27, 2017
  3. Turn OFF windows 10 updates

The above post is for Windows 10 and I am not running Windows 10. I want to preclude Windows 10 from installing on this Windows 8 machine permanently. The case I quoted above has not worked and the first answer here has not worked.

I have a mountain of errors:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80240020: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

And my hard drive space is being obliterated by Windows 10 downloads that (a) I NEVER reserved and (b) I do not want.

People: If you wish to post answers - great! But please do not post Windows 10 solutions because this machine is a Windows 8 machine.

I want to remove Windows 10 updating from this computer permanently and forever.

Thank you.

Problem User, Jun 27, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

What were the steps that you made to move from X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe to "restore back c:"?

Do you have your files backed up?

Do you have an image back up?

Do you have access to an external hard drive enclosure?

When you power on now what do you see?
    Do you see a black screen?
    Do you see "diagnosing this PC"?
    Are you able to boot to wall paper or lock screen?
    Are you able to get to the windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu?
    If so what happened with each reset save files, reset remove files, restore, startup repair, image, startup options?
    Were you or are you now able to get to startup options? For example safe mode with command prompt or safe mode with networking.

Are you able to boot to the windows 10 iso using a F key or changing the bios boot order?
    If so which repair options were tried and what were the results of each?
    System restore
    Startup repair
    UEFI firmware settings
    Go back to previous version

If you have only X: and a bootable windows 10 iso you may be able to make a registry repair.

There is another option with a bootable rescue disk.

zbook, Jun 27, 2017
  5. Zeinobia Win User
    Yes , Most of my files have another backup but unfortunately I still got important documents on the C driver. I have got restoration points. I have got usb and two external drives.
    I do not have an image back up.

When I power up the laptop , I see the dell logo in a black screen and a small loading thing underneath it. It does not land me on the Windows 10 login page but rather it takes to the same dell logo in a black screen with "diagnosing pc" , "checking drive , it will take time" and "attempting repairs".

After that I find windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu. I tried everything you said and mentioned here with no use.

I changed and I change x:/ to C:/ through cmd command cd C:/ or C: only.
    I used diskpart commands and Boot repair commands to make thing worse , got two windows booting manager.

I have access to registry through X:// already but I do not know how or what to do to repair to be honest.

I got the usb windows 10 so I attempted to repair windows using it. Nothing changed

If you can help and tell me what to do , I will be very thankful.
    I know there is still hope because the registry seems fine to me.

Zeinobia, Jun 27, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    If you have a hard drive enclosure you can remove the drive from the computer and connected it to a working computer via USB and should be able to move the files. If something was done to make it a raw drive then this would not be possible. However this is your backup plan. Hard drive enclosures are inexpensive and are available on amazon, best buy,

You can either attempt to repeat some steps or try new steps.

The most options available are booting to the computers windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu.
    That can frequently be accomplished by power on and as soon as you see the Mirosoft icon you power off. This is repeated once or twice and most often it opens the windows advanced troubleshooting menu.

If that is exhausted then you can attempt to repair using the windows advanced recovery on the windows 10 iso.
    Do you know the Dell F key to boot to the USB or do you use the bios and change the boot order?

zbook, Jun 27, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    This is the method for a registry repair using the bootable windows 10 iso.
    To boot to a device for dell computers it's the F12 key:
    List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys

1) boot to the Windows 10 iso
    2) it may take 5 minutes displaying the windows icon
    3) Use the default settings for language, time, currency, and keyboard
    4) click next
    5) In the left lower corner click Repair your computer
    6) click troubleshooting
    7) click startup repair (it is expected to fail)
    8) click system restore (it is expected to fail)
    9) click command prompt
    You should see a pop up with title bar: Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
    This is the registry backup method:
    For each step you must see sizeable file sizes for this to work.
    If you see zeros the method will fail.
    The command: dir
    will be used each step to make sure you are in the proper location and check the size of the files
    10) type: C:
    11) dir
    12) type: D:
    13) dir
    Choose the C: or the D: drive to proceed. It should be the windows drive and not the USB drive.
    For this post I will use C: however you should pick the drive letter that you found that has the windows files on your computer.
    The proper drive will display: perflogs, program files, program files (x86), users, windows, etc
    14) type or copy and paste: cd \windows\system32\config
    It should display: C:\windows\system32\config>
    15) type: dir
    It should display: bbi, bcd-template, components, default, drivers, elam, sam, security, software, system, vsmidk, journal, regback, systemprofile txr, etc.
    All of the file sizes should be sizeable. If it displays zeros then abort.
    Make a new directory and name it backup or something similar.
    16) type: MD backup
    Copy all of the files into this new directory.
    17) type or copy and paste: copy *.* backup
    It should now display: bbi, bcd-template, components, default, drivers, elam, sam, security, software, system, vsmidk indicating the files were copied.
    Change the directory to regback
    18) type: cd regback
    It should now display: c:\windows\system32\config\regback>
    19)type: dir
    It should display: default, sam, security, software, system etc
    All of these files must be sizeable. If it displays zeros then abort.
    20) type or copy and paste: copy *.* ..
    It should now display:
    Overwrite ..\default? (yes/no/all):
    21) type: a
    It should now display: sam, security, software, system and that the files were copied.
    22) type: exit
    23) click turn off your PC
    Remove the USB flash drive if you had changed your boot order. Otherwise you can leave it and power on your computer.

If the above method fails this is another option: using a boot recovery disk:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

zbook, Jun 27, 2017
  8. Zeinobia Win User

Thank you so so much Zbook , it worked like a charm and I am posting this from the laptop.
    I owe you so much for real *Smile)

Zeinobia, Jun 28, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    That's fantastic! Your welcome.

Once you are able to boot to windows please open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

1) sfc /scannow

2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

3) chkdsk /x /f /r (plan to run this overnight as it may take many hours to complete)

Post the results of each scannow and restorehealth into the thread.

When chkdsk completes post the eventvwr log txt file into the thread:

Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    CHKDSK: What is it and how do I run it? - Ask Leo!
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    How to find chkdsk results in Windows 10 - Winaero uses 26226 find

Make a Macrium back up image now of your drive as backup.
    Once the studies have completed successfully make a new image.

zbook, Jun 28, 2017
  10. Zeinobia Win User
    1) sfc /scannow result : Windows Resource protection did not find any integrity violations.

2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth : The Restoration operation completed successfully.
    The Operation completed successfully.

3) For now , Chkdsk can not run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts ? (Y/N). I chose Yes for now because it is nearly 4:20 AM in my country *Smile

Zeinobia, Jun 28, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    Yes it should run for many hours so it's best to run it overnight.
    Please post the results per the above links.

zbook, Jun 28, 2017
  12. Zeinobia Win User
    Thanks again *Smile

Zeinobia, Jun 28, 2017
  13. Zeinobia Win User

Here is the result of the chkdsk scan. It used to stop at 13% and restart , I found out in log that it finished the scan. Here it isAttachment 141719

Zeinobia, Jun 28, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    For antivirus:
    Run windows defender in full setting.
    Then run windows defender in offline setting. (It checks for malware during the boot.)
    Run https://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller
    Run Malwarebytes.

Make some baseline testing on your computer. If dell has UEFI diagnostics in the bios run them.
    Run one of these SMART studies on your drive and post images into the thread:
    CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World
    HD Tune website
    Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring
    And if possible run Sea tools for windows on your drive in SMART, short, and long generic:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downl...S/FAQ/202435en

zbook, Jun 28, 2017
  15. Zeinobia Win User
    Okay *Smile thanks *Smile)

Zeinobia, Jun 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Booting problem turned in to BSOD problem - Similar Threads - Booting problem turned

2. Intermittent BSOD turning into larger problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intermittent BSOD turning into larger problem: I have had the random BSOD for a while now but it always happened whenever I wasn't gaming my primary activity on this machine so it was never something i wanted to address. Eventually the errors got more frequent and occasionally happened during games. The codes were...
  3. Intermittent BSOD turning into larger problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent BSOD turning into larger problem: I have had the random BSOD for a while now but it always happened whenever I wasn't gaming my primary activity on this machine so it was never something i wanted to address. Eventually the errors got more frequent and occasionally happened during games. The codes were...
  4. Intermittent BSOD turning into larger problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. problem turning on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    problem turning on: After a period of time of being turned off i cant turn on my computer. i try to turn it on but it wont turn on immediately. when i press the power button nothing happens nor the light, after pressing the button for an half of hour or spamming the power button it will turn on....
  6. BSOD problems to boot.

BSOD problems to boot.: Hello everyone!:I'm having trouble booting Windows 20H2 (x64). It never starts the first time. I reset the BIOS several times, loaded the optimized values (AMI BIOS UEFI by Gigabyte) and even a memory test that did not find any fault (Kingston Hyper Fury 2666 Mhz 4 x 8). I...
  7. Boot problem with BSOD

Boot problem with BSOD: Hey everyone, I got very intresting problem with my pc. I got some problems with bsod but i realized that because of proccesor temp. I solved with new thermal paste. After one or two weeks i got some boot problem. When i try the open my laptop with power button rotating dots...
  8. Random BSOD And problems booting

Random BSOD And problems booting: My PC crahes and BSOD at randowm times, no pattern to it really. I also sometimes have problems booting the pc, it just hangs on a black screen and will only eventually boot if i turn it off and back on. Attatched the crash file 12738
  9. Bsod boot problem

Bsod boot problem: Went to restart my computer and when I did and rebooted it it went to a loading screen with the circle balls going around. It then goes to another loading the same thing. Then it goes to a black screen where I can move the mouse. I tried using the space and ctrl tricks to...
  10. Sudden Booting Problem after BSOD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sudden Booting Problem after BSOD?: Hello, I had my laptop open (Dell XPS 9550) and wasn't using it. I noticed the screen changed so I looked over and it had a BSOD. Since that happened, I've been unable to boot it up. I've tried running chkdsk /f c:, but it now says "The type of the file system is RAW....