Windows 10: Booting to black screen with cursor

Discus and support Booting to black screen with cursor in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello and thank you all for any help or ideas. In general, on startup my computer is 'scanning and repairing' drives, then booting into a black screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ssl89, Jun 17, 2016.

1. ssl89 Win User

Booting to black screen with cursor

Hello and thank you all for any help or ideas. In general, on startup my computer is 'scanning and repairing' drives, then booting into a black screen with cursor. I don't have a pc easily available to install usb boot programs but have tried a couple thus far. Refreshing or restoring are not good options for me because i am afraid i will loose much of my software licensed to me long ago from school, which is more valuable than the computer. Figured Id ask around before taking it in. Here are the details..

HP dv7t-7000 notebook from 2012 running windows 7
    Intel core i7-3720QM cpu @2.6ghz
    8192 mb ram
    Hdd are two ATA
    Bios id f.13

6 weeks ago it auto updated to windows 10 build 7600
    1 week ago it started having trouble starting up
    -i believe it said something about 'initialize error' on startup screen and went into 'windows repair' for some time.
    After that on startup it will briefly say 'disk checking' then 'scanning and repairing drive:' d, sometimes c, and (\\?\volume.. then the windows startup login sound but just a black screen with movable cursor.
    I had read that this can be a driver issue, so i have tried logging in blind, clicking around, switching the screen projection, and leaving it over night all multiple times to no avail, just the black screen.

Tried multiple cold boots

Booting into safe mode gives me black screen with cursor and safe mode text in the corners but nothing more.
    Safe mode with command brings same but with 'hp recovery manager' window which upon exiting only reboots or turns off.

'Hp recovery manager' window cannot find any system restore points even though I created one just days before this began.

Booting into hp advanced system diagnostics: ran multiple start-up, run-in, system tune up, hard disk, memory and battery tests, all came back good.

Booting into advanced system startup: no restore points, tried to roll back to last build but recieved error, system repair yields nothing new. System refreshing or restoring are not my favorite options right now.

(via these instructions: youtube.com/watch?v=oopiaiVLn9k ) Booted through usb to windows 10 media creation tool, repair my computer, command prompt, commands:
    C:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    But i recieved an error

Booted through usb memtest86, ran three times with many passes, found zero errors.

Soon i will try lighting some candles and performing an exorcism.

Hoping to hear something I have overlooked. What do you guys think?
    Thanks again,
    Elliott

:)

ssl89, Jun 17, 2016
  2. GFlat Win User

Windows 10 June 2017 Update KB4022405 ISSUES

P.S. re: Cursor---When I boot from the Boot Media flash drive, I initially see a blinking white cursor at the top left of a black screen, but no cursor on the blue screen.

GFlat, Jun 17, 2016
  3. Windo.ws 10 downloaded and installed and upon restart boot stopped at black screen and blinking cursor

Any resource for how to get from black screen and blinking cursor after Windows 10 upgrade download and install? Upon boot up screen is now black with the blinking cursor top left

KinteClark, Jun 17, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

5. ssl89 Win User
    Thanks, I think i will give it a try tomorrow.

ssl89, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Booting to black screen with cursor - Similar Threads - Booting black screen

2. Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.: Every time I boot up my computer normally it goes to the welcome screen but after typing in my password the screen is black and i can only see my cursor. I have tried everything but nothing works. I think it's because of the latest update because every time it installs again...
  3. Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.: Every time I boot up my computer normally it goes to the welcome screen but after typing in my password the screen is black and i can only see my cursor. I have tried everything but nothing works. I think it's because of the latest update because every time it installs again...
  4. Computer boots up to a black screen with a cursor.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. PC booting to a black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC booting to a black screen with cursor: Hey, My PC was working fine yesterday night as it installed the latest update. This morning however I cannot access anything anymore. As soon as it boots I don't see the login screen but go directly to a black screen where I can move my cursor. I've been googling around...
  6. PC boots up into a black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC boots up into a black screen with cursor: I recently began having problems booting up. The pc starts up on a black screen where nothing works except win+p. I also got another error saying that the boot partition is missing. Is there a way of fixing this without losing any data?...
  7. My PC boots to this black screen with cursor.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My PC boots to this black screen with cursor.: I need help, what do I do, I just booted up my PC, it runs Windows 10, and after the HP logo goes away, the lock screen doesn't appear, instead it's a black screen, I can move my cursor around, but that's it, can't do anything, Is this a fix for this issue without...
  8. Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor: I just plugged in a new monitor, and the monitor shows the boot screen, then just shows a black screen, I looked it up on YouTube, and they all said to press Ctrl+alt+del, open task manager, I do somethi g else, but i cant open tadk manager either. Ive restarted my computer,...
  9. Windows boots to black screen, no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen, no cursor: Windows 10 Prof x64 Sager Laptop, i7 NVidia 980M<br /><br /> This morning I resumed my computer back from sleep and different programs started hanging. So, I decided to restart. I restarted my computer and it stayed on the restart screen for ages, like 30 minutes. So I...
  10. Black Screen After Boot Logo No Cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen After Boot Logo No Cursor: Hi, here is my journey. All was good and well, until my Windows 7 on another drive gave me an NTOSKRNL.EXE error (fixed now). My Windows 10 booted fine at this point, but after entering my password, it was stuck on "logging in" for quite some time. I forced a reboot, and then...