Windows 10: booting up the win 10 install from a dvd?

Discus and support booting up the win 10 install from a dvd? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Background: At present in windows 7 trying to convert to win 10. I lost control of my main computer! Whether it was the cat wandering all over the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fb2, Mar 12, 2018.

1. FB2
    fb2 Win User

booting up the win 10 install from a dvd?

Background: At present in windows 7 trying to convert to win 10. I lost control of my main computer! Whether it was the cat wandering all over the keyboard while I was temporarily out of the room or it was something I did. I returned to find the computer locked up with several programs in evidence; non the less I had to do a hard reboot. Now it will not boot up except in save mode and the options presented only consist of 'boot normally'. But when selected it boots into safe mode.

So, In the bios I can set so as to boot from a dvd drive but the win 10 I bought came in a flash drive. Unfortunately the bios can't be set to do that. So can I copy the usb flash drive to a dvd which would then boot the upgrade?

Thanks for any help!
    fbii

PS: I tried booting with the original win 7 disk repair disk but it said "not in safe mode"

:)

2. Slow reboot

After free install of win 10 from 8.1, start up (boot up) is extremely slow. Any fixes?

gloria j kelly, Mar 12, 2018
  3. Crashed laptop-hd ok.

My HP laptop had been upgraded from Vista to Win 7 pro and I had it double booting with win 8.1. I activated the free upgrade to win 10 on both installations. I downloaded the ISO and upgraded the win 8.1 to 10 successfully. then my HP started acting
    up and now will not boot - the famous motherboard failure. The hard drive is good. I installed it in my Dell and it boots to win 10 fine but I cannot activate it. Needless to say, the win 7 just boots to the BSOD. Now I can not use the key from either
    to activate a new installation of win 10 and (I haven't tried to upgrade my win 7 home premium to pro yet as I don't think it will activate - seems to be locked by the upgrade registration).

My goal now is to upgrade my Dell (which is currently dual booting to win 7 home premium and Linux Mint) to triple boot to an upgrade of win 7 pro, a new installation of win 10 along with Linux Mint.

Any help will be appreciated.

bigDlittleadoubledyo, Mar 12, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, You can only upgrade if you can boot normally, then start the upgrade e.g. from a mounted ISO, or by running setup.exe on a Win 10 flash disk (or similar) or a DVD.

Thus you would need to fix your Win 7 first in order to upgrade.

If you boot your PC from a Win 10 bootable medium you can either
    a. start a clean install
    b. via 'Repair your computer' navigate to advanced startup options such as Startup Repair, System restore, Command prompt etc.

Your simplest option to create a DVD is to download an iso and burn it to DVD
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Tutorials
    - but this will not help you upgrade a PC which cannot boot normally.

dalchina, Mar 12, 2018
  5. Hi,
    The flash drive would want to install as uefi and formatting the existing hard drive or ssd to gpt when it's probably mbr disk
    DVD win-10 install should be fine if you can create the media on another machine

The win-7 dvd you can use startup repair with it's recovery tools
    Startup Repair - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Or you can if you have another machine create a Macrium Reflect winpe cd recovery disk and try it's startup repair too
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Windows 10 Tutorials

ThrashZone, Mar 12, 2018
  6. Caledon Ken, Mar 12, 2018
  7. "In the bios I can set so as to boot from a dvd drive but the win 10 I bought came in a flash drive. Unfortunately the bios can't be set to do that."
    I don't know if it matters what make/model you have but I have a Dell Inspiron 580.
    --- With the computer shut down, I connected my bootable Win10 install USB, went into the BIOS upon startup and it did not include an option to select my Win10 install USB.
    I shut own and upon booting back up, I pressed F12 boot options: it included an option to select my bootable Win10 install USB
    --- If the Safe Mode issue you are having doesn't interfere, maybe it will work for you.

EDIT: Are you still unable to select USB by going through the boot options?
    --- If so see if restoring to a known good prior system restore point is helpful.

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 13, 2018
  8. zbook New Member

See if you can boot to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu or to the Windows 7 or 10 iso.
    Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)
    Download Windows 10
    If you can boot to any of the above then you should be able to open the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu.
    In the windows advanced troubleshooting menu there are options for:
    system restore
    startup repair
    command prompt
    Can you open any of these?
    You had commented that you can get into safe mode.
    Can you get into safe mode with command prompt?

zbook, Mar 15, 2018
  9. When you boot into Safe Mode, are you able to boot into Safe Mode w/networking?

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 15, 2018
  10. FB2
    fb2 Win User
    All
    An explanation of how I got to win 10. As you know I tried
    all of the suggestions plus a few more of my own until I
    noticed on the last line of the boot section of the cmos
    an item that I had discarded because it was titled as
    it referred to DVD/CD. I opened it and the last entry
    was something about which I had no idea. It was labeled
    ATAPI iHBS112 2. I figured that it was worth a try and
    so I tried it. Low and behold it worked and I had enabled
    USB. So it booted into win10. Unfortunately half way through
    the install a blue screen appeared so I tried again and got
    the same thing. So because the corrupted win 7 was still on
    the boot drive I said 'go for it' and pulled out a cd of my
    Partion Magic and partitioned/for mated the drive. Inserted
    win10 USB stick and now have win10 on and working.
    Now I am in the process of reinstalling all 104 programs
    of the previous drive. Fortunately I had reserved drive D for
    all the data of all of the previous installation. I want to
    thank you all very, very much for taking the time with all
    the suggestion. I learned a great deal in the process.
    Again thank you,

fmb2nd

Thema:

1. booting up the win 10 install from a dvd? - Similar Threads - booting install dvd

2. Cannot boot Win 10 Install/Repair USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot Win 10 Install/Repair USB or DVD: I have a Dell Inspiron i5-3565 that will NOT boot from Win 10 Install/Repair DVD *OR* external USB. I have tried everything, to no avail. System specs: CPU:AMD A6-9200 RADEON R4 OS: Windows 10 Home x64, version 1909 (November 2019 Update) Build 18363.1440 RAM:Micron 4GB DDR4...
  3. WIN 10 recovery/boot dvd

WIN 10 recovery/boot dvd: I have installed win10 from my official MS Win 10 thumb drive dvd onto my pc. This is an older pc that will not boot from a usb only from a hard drive or dvd. I therefore had to install win 10 by booting the PC from its original op sys, WIN7 on an internal C; hard drive...
  4. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI: HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10. So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard...
  5. booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    booting from cd/dvd to install win 10 os UEFI: HI guys, wondering if i can get a little help of what im doing wrong So, ive had my windows 10 pro dvd that i had burnt for a few years now, and has always worked fine on booting up in legacy mode to install win 10. So my HTPC was still on win 7, and getting a new 3 tb hard...
  6. Installing Win 10 from DVD but having a few issues

Installing Win 10 from DVD but having a few issues: When the install reaches "Getting ready" it shows that windows setup couldn't configure windows for my hardware. I'm hoping to fix that in command prompt now but the issue is that when I restart the computer to reach the end of the setup I see three Windows 10 boot options......
  7. Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting From DVD with Win 10 & UEFI: Hello, I tried to add a DVD to boot sequence but I couldn't find an option for this. I tried Dell's recommendation but they indicate that hardware might not be recognized by the system. I did use the DVD to install Win 10 initially, but it doesn't show up. Can someone explain...
  8. dvd will not boot up.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dvd will not boot up.: dvd will not boot up after installing windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-will-not-boot-up/7d35c9e7-3c41-42e1-9b74-35636f0911f0
  9. Repair Corrupt Install From Boot Install DVD?

Repair Corrupt Install From Boot Install DVD?: I have a flaky hard drive I think. A seagate barracuda. Wouldn't be the first one. So I've had repeated problems with my win10 install and i've run disk check and whatever but they're still there. And today I can't boot into it. I just circle around to Preparing...
  10. Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation

Booting a Win 10 DVD in UEFi Mode for Windows installation: How do I set my BIOS to have the DVD boot and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode? I do see a setting on my Asus motherboard UEFI "CSM Compatability" and in there are three options: UEFI and Legacy OPROM Legacy OPROM only UEFI only Do I select UEFI only option here? What...