Windows 10: Booting Windows 10 with broken BCD file

Discus and support Booting Windows 10 with broken BCD file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Tried booting into windows, bcd file is broken and/or missing, I have tried to fix it but the file path was invalid/ write protected. Even with it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Malteser, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Malteser Win User

Booting Windows 10 with broken BCD file

Tried booting into windows, bcd file is broken and/or missing, I have tried to fix it but the file path was invalid/ write protected. Even with it disabled, tried making a new boot bcd, still unable to with the same issue, not sure what else to do. Please help!

:)

Malteser, Dec 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit recovery help needed

Proceed with the steps I wrote out for you. Click the link to read how to rebuild the BCD.

You said you had broken boot files, this is how you rewrite them.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 19, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Error code: 0x0000034

I am getting the same error in my Lenovo using Windows 10, but when I follow these instructions the resulting USB only provides the option to install Windows 10 from scratch. No option to repair File \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD. Frustrating.

File \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD Error 0x0000034

Famartin100, Dec 19, 2017
  4. Booting Windows 10 with broken BCD file

If you can get into safe mode with command prompt using a Win 10 install USB or DVD then you can try the following:

Insert Windows 10 installation disk. Power ON your PC and press F12 key repeatedly until you see the list of devices to boot fromChoose the Windows 10 installation media from this list (it could be Windows 10 DVD or USB media)Then press a key to proceed with booting from the Windows installation mediaWhen the setup screen appearsChoose to Repair your computer and it will display you the recovery optionsUnder system recoverySelect Advanced Options and then Command Prompt. Run these commands (press Enter after typing each of these lines):bootrec /fixmbrbootrec /fixbootbootrec /rebuildbcdexit
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Techjourney, Dec 19, 2017
  5. Malteser Win User
    I am attempting to repair the BCD file with out the Windows 10 install as I don't have it with me.

Malteser, Dec 20, 2017
  6. Malteser Win User
  7. spunk Win User
    How are your trying to Fix it? If you are getting Access Denied, you may not be in the drive that has Windows on it.
    If you have Windows 10 install media and are booting from that and getting to the Command Prompt, be sure you are running those commands in Post #2 in the right drive with Windows on it. If may not be the C: drive in the Recovery Environment.
    At command prompt (x: sources) type this exactly as written:
    bcdedit |find “osdevice” (Must inc and the |), the | before Find is the Upper case \ key) press enter. This will tell you what drive letter the OS is on.It may not be on the C: drive.
    Now use the returned as the drive letter for OS, for this example, assume C: or whatever drive letter is the os device.

spunk, Dec 20, 2017
  8. Booting Windows 10 with broken BCD file

Sorry for the formatting above I just figured out how to paste and save formatting on this site so posting again to make clearer

Insert Windows 10 installation disk.
    Power ON your PC and press F12 key repeatedly until you see the list of devices to boot from
    Choose the Windows 10 installation media from this list (it could be Windows 10 DVD or USB media)
    Then press a key to proceed with booting from the Windows installation media

When the setup screen appears
    Choose to Repair your computer and it will display you the recovery options
    Under system recovery
    Select Advanced Options and then Command Prompt.
    Run these commands (press Enter after typing each of these lines):

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    exit

Techjourney, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Booting Windows 10 with broken BCD file

1. Booting Windows 10 with broken BCD file - Similar Threads - Booting broken BCD

2. Windows 11 boots to a black screen - missing BCD file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 boots to a black screen - missing BCD file?: Bit of a long story/comedy of errors: My computer unexpectedly crashed during start up due to low battery, and Windows 11 no longer boots properly - I just get a black screen. The hardware itself is fine, and I'm successfully running Linux Mint on a USB drive right now, so...
  3. bios password set on dell desktop 790 and windows boot bcd file is broken Error code...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bios password set on dell desktop 790 and windows boot bcd file is broken Error code...: i am trying yo install windows 10 on it but the bios password is blocking me and i cant get into the OS since the boot bcd file is damaged I have noticed the massage when i start windows when i press enter it justs restarts windows....
  4. bios password set on dell desktop 790 and windows boot bcd file is broken Error code...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bios password set on dell desktop 790 and windows boot bcd file is broken Error code...: i am trying yo install windows 10 on it but the bios password is blocking me and i cant get into the OS since the boot bcd file is damaged I have noticed the massage when i start windows when i press enter it justs restarts windows....
  5. Windows 10 skips BCD bootloader on cold boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 skips BCD bootloader on cold boot: Hello,I am facing a very obscure issue. To solve Windows update issues relevant issue, I am now using the Windows BCD bootloader using EasyBCD with Linux as the default boot option after 10s. However, I can reliably reproduce the following issue:Cold boot from battery:...
  6. BCD ERROR File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000000f

BCD ERROR File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000000f: Suddenly my laptop start getting slow and on the second day start showing blue screen with this code:RecoveryFile:\Boot\BCDError code : 0x000000fI ran boot rec /rebuilkdbcd but it did not solve the problem. system restore is not working as well.Please help me...
  7. Windows 10 boot error code /BCD

Windows 10 boot error code /BCD: I had windows installed on an SSD but needed more storage room so installed a 3tb Mechanical hard drive. I set the boot to the SSD still as theres no OS on the hard drive. I then saw the error when i try and boot....
  8. Boot problems - BCD Win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot problems - BCD Win 10: Hello everyone, thank you in advance for reading: I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre which came with Win10 installed on an SSD, with a HDD for documents. At some far removed time in the past, I started getting the following error: Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain...
  9. BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    BCD Corrupted? Cannot boot Windows 10: Hello all, my computer had a BSOD and upon rebooting, it doesn't boot into Windows 10 anymore. It reboot loops when trying to load Windows (circle with dots). I've entered recovery and tried to use the following commands in Command Prompt: bootrec /fixmbr --> Ok bootrec...
  10. BCD Error at the time of booting Windows 10

BCD Error at the time of booting Windows 10: Dear Sir, My PC has Windows 10. When I boot, only mouse pointer appears on blank screen. I tried to use Windows 10 installation USB drive to repair but the following error appears. Pl help. [ATTACH]...