Windows 10: BootMGR disaster

Discus and support BootMGR disaster in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I started my PC this morning and was greeted with a BootMGR missing error, i followed a few things online including going into the CMD and entering the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JamesPlummer, Jan 7, 2016.

1. BootMGR disaster

I started my PC this morning and was greeted with a BootMGR missing error, i followed a few things online including going into the CMD and entering the following codes;
    bootrec /RebuildBcd
    bootrec /FixMbr
    bootrec /FixBoot

They didn't work so i've decided it would be easier to just reset my OS, however if i try to reset i'm told i haven't enough space in my C drive. So how can i make space without being able to go into my PC properly?

Tl;dr my computers bricked and i would really appreciate some help, cheers

:)

JamesPlummer, Jan 7, 2016

2. Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

I have found the way out eventually. Replace bootmgr of windows 7 with that of windows 10. Just this!

Do you want to know why? read below;

thing that bootmgr do is that Bootmgr finds the winloader.exe in sys32 and executes it. when you install win 10 while there is a win 7 in your hard drive, win 10 replace win 7's bootmgr with a new one and keeps a copy in win 10's sys32. This bootmgr can
    find winloaders of win7 & win10 and execute them depends on selected windows for startup. Therefore for recovery of windows 10 we must replace the bootmgr of win 7 with bootmgr of win 10. How to do? read below;

Go to safe mode. Change the bootmgr of both win7 and win 10 from system file to usual ones by "iReset" software. Now you can do the replacement.

kiya the king, Jan 7, 2016
  3. t.calvert Win User
    Installing Windows 10

Alternatively, can I fix the "BOOTMGR is missing" problem just by copying the bootmgr file from some other location? If so, is that file OS-version-specific? In other words, could I just copy the bootmgr file from the C drive of my Win 7 box onto the USB,
    or would I have to get a bootmgr file from a Win 10 box since the USB key is supposed to be installing Win 10? And finally (for this line of questions), there are multiple bootmgr files on my C drive, so I'll assume the same might be true of a Win 10 box.
    Would it matter which one I copy?

t.calvert, Jan 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

BootMGR disaster

How much data do you have on the computer that you need to save?

You are going to need a couple of USB thumb drives or DVDs. Assuming you have access to an operating computer, install Macrium Reflect Free and make a Macrium Reflect Free rescue disk (USB flash drive or DVD/CD).
    Macrium Reflect Free

Then download a Windows 10 ISO file:
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums
    and make a USB flash drive (or DVD):
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

I highly recommend just using option 1 of the second tutorial above to both download Windows 10 ISO and make the USB or DVD as it does it all for you.

Boot you problem computer from the Macrium Reflect Free Rescue disc. Under the restore menu is a utility to fix startup/boot problems, you can try that first. If that doesn't work then you can make an image of your existing Windows and save it to an external hard drive or possibly network location. You can later install Macrium Reflect Free and browse that image to retrieve your data.

If Macrium Reflect Free fixes the boot problem, you are good to go. If it didn't, then you will have to boot from the Windows 10 install USB/DVD that you created and do a clean install of Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Jan 7, 2016
Thema:

BootMGR disaster

1. BootMGR disaster - Similar Threads - BootMGR disaster

2. bootmgr is missing press Ctrl+alt+del to restart. I did and it brought different command...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bootmgr is missing press Ctrl+alt+del to restart. I did and it brought different command...: Good day, expert in the house,. My system first displayed blue screen error which read your system ran into a problem and needs to restart. After sometime, it says bootmgr is missing press Ctrl+alt+del to restart. I did and it brought different command which I don't...
  3. bootmgr is missing press Ctrl+alt+del to restart. I did and it brought different command...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bootmgr is missing press Ctrl+alt+del to restart. I did and it brought different command...: Good day, expert in the house,. My system first displayed blue screen error which read your system ran into a problem and needs to restart. After sometime, it says bootmgr is missing press Ctrl+alt+del to restart. I did and it brought different command which I don't...
  4. bootmgr is missing press Ctrl+alt+del to restart. I did and it brought different command...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. BOOTMGR Missing & Element Not Found Installation in Different Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BOOTMGR Missing & Element Not Found Installation in Different Drive: Hi. I went to turn on my pc and and out of nowhere I get the BOOTMGR is missing screen. I was trying to fix it in Windows 10 following instructions on https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508 However I run into another problem: For some reason...
  6. BOOTMGR Missing & Element Not Found Installation in Different Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BOOTMGR Missing & Element Not Found Installation in Different Drive: HI. I went to turn on my pc and and out of nowhere I get the BOOTMGR is missing screen. I was trying to fix it in Windows 10 following instructions on https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508 However I run into another problem: For some reason...
  7. BOOTMGR Missing & Element Not Found Installation in Different Drive

BOOTMGR Missing & Element Not Found Installation in Different Drive: HI. I went to turn on my pc and and out of nowhere I get the BOOTMGR is missing screen. I was trying to fix it in Windows 10 following instructions on https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508 However I run into another problem: For some reason...
  8. how do i fix the bootmgr is missing error when booting from a usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i fix the bootmgr is missing error when booting from a usb drive: when trying to download windows 11 from a usb drive it says bootmgr is missing ive trying to use two diffrent programs to restore it and it keeps saying "bootmgr is missing the device was originaly a windows 10 pc...
  9. how do i fix the bootmgr is missing error when booting from a usb drive

how do i fix the bootmgr is missing error when booting from a usb drive: when trying to download windows 11 from a usb drive it says bootmgr is missing ive trying to use two diffrent programs to restore it and it keeps saying "bootmgr is missing the device was originaly a windows 10 pc...
  10. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL followed by BootMGR is corrupted, system cannot boot

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL followed by BootMGR is corrupted, system cannot boot: The computer suddenly went in to a BSOD while I was surfing the web which displayed the error code, IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. I tried restarting the PC after this but it only went as far as the windows loading screen where the buffer got stuck and the PC shutdown. Trying to...