Windows 10: bootmgr error, can't find a fix

Discus and support bootmgr error, can't find a fix in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I recently got a new motherboard, processor, SSD, and memory for my old, homebuilt desktop. I'm running Windows 10 which I downloaded as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by smistarz, Jan 5, 2017.

1. smistarz Win User

bootmgr error, can't find a fix

Hi,

I recently got a new motherboard, processor, SSD, and memory for my old, homebuilt desktop. I'm running Windows 10 which I downloaded as the free upgrade last year. I cloned the OS to my new SSD using EaseUS Todo 10.0. I've activated the new partition and upgraded my BIOS but when I try to boot with the new SSD I get the "bootmgr is missing" error. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this and any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:)

smistarz, Jan 5, 2017
  2. TANU2923 Win User

HOW TO CONNECT THE LUMIA 520 TO WINDOWS 7 PC

it says cannot install nokia bootmgr..what to do now.i can't find it on net as well.

TANU2923, Jan 5, 2017
  3. boot manager is missing

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated.

There are few ways that the "BOOTMGR is missing" error may show up on your computer, with the first error I have listed being the most common:

"BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart"

"BOOTMGR is missing

Press any key to restart"

The most common reasons for BOOTMGR errors include corrupt and misconfigured files,hard drive and operating system upgrade issues, corrupt hard drive sectors, an outdated BIOS, and damaged or loose hard drive interface cables.

Please follow the below methods to fix the problem:

Method 1: Restart the computer. The BOOTMGR error could be a fluke.

Method 2: Check your optical drives, USB ports, and floppy drives for media. Often times, the "BOOTMGR is Missing" error will appear if your PC is trying to boot to a non-bootable
    disc, external drive, or floppy disk.

Note: If you find that this is the cause of your issue and it's happening regularly, you might want to consider changing the boot order in BIOS so the hard drive is listed as the
    first boot device.

Method 3: Check the boot sequence in BIOS and make sure the
    correct hard drive or other bootable device is listed first, assuming you have more than one drive. If the wrong drive is listed first, you could see BOOTMGR errors.

Please reply with the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 5, 2017
  4. bootmgr error, can't find a fix

smistarz,

Welcome to Ten Forums!

Have you tried using the Windows 10 DVD or USB install media and launching the option to "Repair your computer" and scan your new SSD for startup errors?

It should detect the problem and fix the master boot record (MBR) accordingly.

cottonball, Jan 7, 2017
  5. smistarz Win User
    Thanks for replying.

I don' t have install media because I downloaded the upgrade directly from Microsoft but I created a USB recovery drive, rebooted with it and the repair failed.

bootmgr error, can't find a fix [​IMG]

bootmgr error, can't find a fix [​IMG]

Should I be using a different option?

smistarz, Jan 7, 2017
  6. You didn't mention this so I thought I would ask.

How is your new SSD disk partitioned, GPT or MBR? Assuming you cloned it from older system it might be MBR?

What setting are you using in your Bios, UEFI Boot mode or Legacy BIOS Boot mode? Must be Legacy if MBR Partition.

You very well have this all aligned in which case ignore this posting.

Caledon Ken, Jan 7, 2017
  7. After you answer the above questions from Caledon Ken, when you cloned the SSD did you have any other drives with partitions connected to the computer?

Were the boot files on the drive you cloned to the SSD?

Did you clone from a HDD to SSD?

cottonball, Jan 7, 2017
  8. Avocado Win User

Look at post #24 in this thread: https://www.tenforums.com/installati...tml#post901772

Here are the short instructions:

GPT partition style

diskpart
    list volume (note the volume letter where the Windows 10 is installed)
    exit

bcdboot x:\windows (replace "x" with the volume letter of the Windows 10 partition)

BCDBoot copies the boot files from the Windows 10 partition to the EFI system partition and creates the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store in the same partition.

MBR partition style

bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

diskpart
    list volume (note the volume letter where the Windows 10 is installed)
    exit

bcdboot x:\windows (replace "x" with the volume letter of the Windows 10 partition)

BCDBoot copies the boot files from the Windows 10 partition to the active partition on the primary hard drive and creates the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store in the same partition.

Avocado, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. bootmgr error, can't find a fix - Similar Threads - bootmgr error can't

2. BOOTMGR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BOOTMGR: I accidentally installed windows Vista yesterday in a different hard drive in my laptop, and now i tired to to this in diskpart. "select vol E" and "active", now i made my main hard drive active and after my laptop restarted, BOOTMGR is missing... Maybe.... Is it corrupted??...
  3. BOOTMGR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BOOTMGR: I accidentally installed windows Vista yesterday in a different hard drive in my laptop, and now i tired to to this in diskpart. "select vol E" and "active", now i made my main hard drive active and after my laptop restarted, BOOTMGR is missing... Maybe.... Is it corrupted??...
  4. Corrupted BOOTMGR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted BOOTMGR: Hi all,First time posting. I have a legal legitimate W10 package on a USB flashdrive, as supplied by Microsoft. Two different machines report that the BOOTMGR is corrupted. If I use the methods described below, using BOOTREC in the target machine, can I repair BOOTMGR?Thanks....
  5. BOOTMGR is missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BOOTMGR is missing: BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart How can I fix this? My laptop won't boot up. I have Windows 10 OS. IMPORTANT: I'm assuming it's because yesterday I went to disk management and merged disks D and C Delete Volume D, Extend Volume C. So now I only have 1...
  6. Fix BOOTMGR is compressed error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix BOOTMGR is compressed error on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If when you boot your Windows 10 device, but your computer fails to boot […] This article Fix BOOTMGR is compressed error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. BOOTMGR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BOOTMGR: Help to BOOTMGR (win 10 Home) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootmgr/9d0b8673-ef72-4edc-8407-aa9bad159196
  8. "BOOTMGR is missing" Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "BOOTMGR is missing" Error: Hello there, The "BOOTMGR is missing" error I'm having is likely a result of a Manual Shutdown during the Startup process. I've looked through a number of online forums regarding the problem, but haven't had much luck fixing it with my meager computer skills. What are my...
  9. Bootmgr missing error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bootmgr missing error: Has anyone figured out why this happens? I rolled back to 7 Pro because non of the fixes worked. This is an error in all my years using Windows i've never seen. And one fix had you put in your Win7 cd. But in the partition no OS shows up. The only way to get rid of it was to...
  10. bootmgr

in Windows 10 Support
    bootmgr: I downloaded the anniversary update for Windows 10. Get error message bootmgr missing. I have tried the various repairs including using the command prompt. Nothing works. Is there anywhere I can obtain a complete copy of the Windows 10 pro 64 bit bootmgr file and...