Windows 10: Bootrec /fixboot access denied. Various solutions not working

Discus and support Bootrec /fixboot access denied. Various solutions not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; You can pull the HDD out of the computer and attach it via a USB-SATA Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter. Attach it to a working computer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spunk, Apr 4, 2018.

1. spunk Win User

Bootrec /fixboot access denied. Various solutions not working

You can pull the HDD out of the computer and attach it via a USB-SATA Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter. Attach it to a working computer, it should come up as another drive on the system and you can copy the data off of it.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
  2. nangu Win User

Hi folks, after three days of trying to fix "Bootrec /fixboot = access denied" (and friends) by pawing through various posts in various forums, I have accepted the fact that I'm not as competent as I was wont to think at the start Bootrec /fixboot access denied. Various solutions not working :). I'm probably worse off than I realize, but Hope is such a tortuous mistress...and Pride...well, she's just plain sadistic.

The night was sultry when Windows Explorer started refreshing task bar icons and freezing on my Lenovo x230. I waited as long as Patience allowed (she's a different ethical dilemma), before rebooting to resolve the freeze. I've been unable to boot to windows ever since.

Without access to even fix/repair a boot problem, I figure any other attempts will be rejected until this is resolved (3 days of rooting around is convincing).

Rather than listing things haphazardly, what would you need to know to help diagnose?

Grateful for any help,
    -

:)

nangu, Apr 25, 2018
  3. migration to new ssd = bootrec /fixboot ->access denied

As told
    bootrec /FixBoot gives me Access Denied so no the fix doesn't work.

Przemek Ch, Apr 25, 2018
  4. Bootrec /fixboot access denied. Various solutions not working

BootRec/Fixboot Access Denied

Yes, I did check D: and E:. No windows.

Okay, thank you for your help.

Amarajith Balasubramaniam, Apr 25, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forums. What happens when it starts is there any error message. Have you got another PC that you can download the free Windows ISO to make a bootable DVD so you can do a repair.

Samuria, Apr 25, 2018
  6. spunk Win User
    Chances are great that there are bad sectors on your Hard Drive.
    How are you getting to the Command Prompt?
    If you have the Windows installer DVD or USB Flash, boot off of that. Choose your Language and press Shift+F10 to go directly to the Command Prompt.
    At command prompt (x: sources) type this exactly as written:
    bcdedit |find “osdevice” (Must inc and the |), the | before Find is the Upper case \ key) press enter. This will tell you what drive letter the OS is on. It may not be on the C: drive.
    You can also type C: press enter then DIR press enter. If you have a Windows directory there you are in the right drive. If not, type D: press enter etc thru the rest of the drive letters until you find the Windows drive.
    Now use the returned as the drive letter for OS, for this example, assume C: or whatever drive letter is the os device.
    Type the drive letter (ie) C: (ie) C:\> at this prompt type: chkdsk /r press enter, 5 stages of check disk will run. It will test the HDD for errors. it may take a while.
    If that takes overnight or stalls at one spot for several hours that drive needs to be replaced. If it finishes, try booting normally. If that fails return to the RE (recovery environment) Command Prompt,

At the X:\Sources prompt, type: bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup and press enter, next:
    Type:- c: and press enter
    At the C:\ prompt, type: cd boot and press enter
    At the C:\Boot prompt, type: attrib bcd -s -h -r and press enter.
    At the C:\Boot prompt, type: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old and press enter
    At the C:\Boot prompt, type: bootrec /rebuildbcd and press enter
    The Boot Configuration File will be rebuilt at this point. Once it finishes, type exit and press enter. Click the Restart button and try to boot normally.

spunk, Apr 25, 2018
  7. nangu Win User
    Thank you Samuria! I have it set to diagnostic, so the boot menu appears, and I have the following options:

1: ATA HDDO: Hitachi.......
    2: (bootable DVD ISO)
    3: PCI LAN

Option 2 is the only option that responds (naturally). I have tried the standard repair options to no avail.

Hi Spunk:
    I got nothing on bcdedit |find “osdevice”...just returned x: sources

I ran chkdsk /r yesterday and had 94 errors found and repaired. No dice.

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    yields "The store export operation has failed"....sys device not found.

I think perhaps showing you what yields upon dir c might be helpful...it doesn't look good....but I'm not sure...

Directory of C:\
    04/25/2018 02:16 PM 398,156 bootmrg
    11/14/2012 02:03 PM <DIR> MFGSTAT
    04/25/2018 03:39 PM 47,564 NTDETECT.COM
    04/25/2018 03:39 PM 250,032 ntldr
    07/27/2016 03:23 PM <DIR> recovery
    04/26/2018 01:23 PM 0 Recovery.txt
    04/25/2018 03:36 PM 94 rescuepe.log
    03/10/2013 11:08 PM <DIR> tvtos

5 Files 695,846 bytes
    3 Dir 723,681,280 bytes free

Looking at diskpart>list disk: Disk=0, Status=Online, size 298 GB, Free 0.

For what it's worth:
    diskpart>list volume=

Vol 0 G ESD-ISO UDF DVD-ROM 4053 MB healthy
    Vol 1 C SYSTEM-DRV NTFS Partition 1500 MB healthy
    Vol 2 D {blank} RAW Partition 282 GB Healthy
    Vol 3 E (Optional) FAT32 Partition 818 MB Healthy
    Vol 4 F Lenovo_Reco NTFS Partition 13 GB Healthy

nangu, Apr 25, 2018
  8. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Apr 26, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    1) Use the information in this link to find the chkdsk report in the event viewer. Copy and paste > notepad > save to desktop > post a one drive or drop box share link into the thread.

Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    This option is available if you can move your drive to a hardware enclosure and run chkdsk /x /f /r on a working computer or if you can open startup options > safe mode with command prompt.

2) What was the result of startup repair?
    3) What was the result of system restore?
    4) What is the status of the files on the computer?
    5) Are the files backed up to another drive or to the cloud?
    6) Had you made a backup image?
    7) If you needed to would you be able to perform a clean install?
    8) Had you tried the Kyhi boot rescue?
    9) Is the drive a HD or SSD?
    10) When was the last drive test performed (HD Tune, HD Sentinel, Sea Tools for Windows, Crystal Disk, etc.)

These are all commands to view commands and results.
    Please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread. Use one drive or drop box share links.

Using a bootable windows 10 iso > open command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe > X:Sources> type:
    1) bcdedit /enum
    2) c:
    3) dir
    4) d:
    5) dir
    6) x:
    7) diskpart
    8) list disk
    9) list volume
    10) select disk 0
    11) list partition
    12) select partition 1
    13) detail partition
    14) select partition 2
    15) detail partition
    16) select partition 3
    17) detail partition
    18) select partition 4
    19) detail partition
    20) if there are any additional partition continue in the same fashion with all partitions on disk 0
    21) select disk 1
    22) list partition
    23) exit

Please make sure to take pictures and post images of the results into the thread.
    The next troubleshooting steps will depend on the results of the above steps.

Lenovo has a bootable generator and bootable diagnostics.
    Maybe someone has used it?
    Give it a try:
    Lenovo Bootable Diagnostics Lenovo Support
    Windows 10 Update July 2016 / Version 1607 - Systems List

zbook, Apr 26, 2018
  10. nangu Win User
    10-4...that makes sense to me...have lifted the minitool and will attempt and update on progress. Thanks Samuria!

nangu, Apr 26, 2018
  11. nangu Win User
    Thanks zbook, regarding 1: unless I'm mistaken, I don't have access to notepad or powershell due to boot issue. However, I will do my best with 2-8, as well as 1) - 23).

nangu, Apr 26, 2018
  12. nangu Win User
    2) What was the result of startup repair? A: could not repair
    3) What was the result of system restore? A: could not restore without a working windows platform
    4) What is the status of the files on the computer? A: Unknown
    5) Are the files backed up to another drive or to the cloud? A: Yes, but does not include most recent work
    6) Had you made a backup image? A: Yes, but does not include most recent work
    7) If you needed to would you be able to perform a clean install? A: Yes, but prefer not to until issue is confirmed.
    8) Had you tried the Kyhi boot rescue? A: Have downloaded, but difficulty in knowing where to start. Need time to ponder...
    9) Is the drive a HD or SSD? A: HD
    10) When was the last drive test performed (HD Tune, HD Sentinel, Sea Tools for Windows, Crystal Disk, etc.) Unknown, off grid for last two months at least.

Here are the requested screenshots:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6MG5PByIf7fb0FCNFpxaGhlRHU4TjRzM2xKQ1p5ODlPSE5v

IMG_20180426_160720133.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20180426_160737564.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20180426_160702650.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20180426_160726641.jpg - Google Drive

I also gave the below a try...I did not find anything useful information from it.

Windows 10 Update July 2016 / Version 1607 - Systems List

nangu, Apr 26, 2018
  13. spunk Win User

Partition 2 is probably the Windows partition.
    This would mean there are a lot of bad sectors on the drive. It could be salvaged to recover data off of it, but I would not trust booting Windows with it.

spunk, Apr 26, 2018
  14. nangu Win User
    Partition 2 was my hunch too...the size makes sense. Yeahhh, the way it suddenly tanked leaves me with the same feeling I had last time I was in "sudden death" playing Hockey goalie...I lost.

I'm inclined, after 4 days of this, to cut to the chase and recover data if possible (and/or fill gaps from emails) and get a new SDD. Any advice on extracting data? With what or by whom?

nangu, Apr 26, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    zbook, Apr 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Bootrec /fixboot access denied. Various solutions not working - Similar Threads - Bootrec fixboot access

2. Access denied bootrec /fixboot why?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied bootrec /fixboot why?!: Windows 11 after upgrading from windows 10 at startup just shows black screen help fix. Windows 10 no black screen problem but occasionally after 10-15min use the screen turns black and unable to see anything...
  3. Access denied bootrec /fixboot why?!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied bootrec /fixboot why?!: Windows 11 after upgrading from windows 10 at startup just shows black screen help fix. Windows 10 no black screen problem but occasionally after 10-15min use the screen turns black and unable to see anything...
  4. Is it normal to have bootrec /fixboot access denied?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is it normal to have bootrec /fixboot access denied?: - So i was doing a register cleaning, then my windows couldn't shutdown then i restarted it and it did not boot properly, it just booted into the advanced startup even i restarted again.- Then i enter the command prompt there and found out the windows volume is stated as...
  5. Bootrec /fixboot - Access Denied Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootrec /fixboot - Access Denied Error: I am trying to repair Windows 10 on an Acer laptop. The USB windows repair boot disc wont repair it automatically so went to the Troubleshoot menu and the command line tools where your articles suggest I try the following commands. Bootrec /fixmbr, This seems to work....
  6. Bootrec /fixboot access denied?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootrec /fixboot access denied?: My boot record got corrupted, I am unable to start Win10. I did all of the auto recovery options none had work. I am at the CMD and tried bootrec /fixboot but get access denied. I reformated boot partition to FAT32, copied boot files using bcdboot from \windows directory...
  7. Windows 10 bootrec /fixboot access is denied

Windows 10 bootrec /fixboot access is denied: Hello. I have followed all the instruction and type in cmd starting from: Diskpart -> list disk and sel disk 0. Now i am stuck on "List Volume" on the cmd. I have 4 volumes on my screen : Vol 0 as C- OS NTFS partition, Vol 1 as E- Recovery partition, Vol 2 as "blank (aka...
  8. Bootrec /fixboot Access is denied error

Bootrec /fixboot Access is denied error: I encountered winlog.exe missing/corrupted issue during laptop startup. Have googled up solutions in repairing with USB bootable drive but did not help. There's other recommendations to enter command prompt and enter the few bootrec commands. However upon entering Bootrec...
  9. Access denied on bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied on bootrec /fixboot: Hello, I installed Windows 10 version 1809 recently. It crashed after a system restore and did not boot anymore. So I used the installation disk and tried out the inbuilt repair functions, which did not work. I also tried line commands, which worked expect bootrec /fixboot....
  10. bootrec /fixboot access is denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bootrec /fixboot access is denied: My Windows upgrade is failed and force the PC to power off while it is still writing to the disk, and appeared the blue screen error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". and I run the command "bootrec /fixboot", however, I received the "bootrec /fixboot access is denied" error...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootrec /fixboot access is denied

2. bootrec.exe/fixboot acess denied error

3. access is denied error in cmd for bootrec.exe /fixboot

4. windows 10 bootrec /fixboot access denied,
  5. bootrec.exe /fixboot access is denied,
  6. bcdedit export access is denied the store export operation has failed,
  7. bootrec fixboot access is denied