Windows 10: bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP

Discus and support bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello - the original problem was that msconfig showed the system stuck in Selective mode with "use original boot configuration" grayed out, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by davexnet, Jul 31, 2017.

1. davexnet Win User

bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP

Hello -
    the original problem was that msconfig showed the system stuck in Selective mode with
    "use original boot configuration" grayed out, so attempts to put the system back to Normal mode failed.

I used the established procedures to recreate the BCD (the following commands in WinRE command prompt):
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h- s -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /rebuildbct (enter Y to add the entry)

The thing is, it does not find the Windows XP I have installed, so it boots directly to Windows 10,
    instead of offering me a menu where I can choose Windows 10 or "older versions of Windows"

To add insult to injury, the msconfig shows the system still stuck in Selective mode, so recreating
    the BCD was a waste of time.

Does anybody know how to add the XP install to the BCD ? I know I can restore the old BCD I backed up,
    but I was interested in seeing if there was a way to add it to the fresh BCD.

Thanks for any info.
    Dave

:)

davexnet, Jul 31, 2017
  2. RMDEQ Win User

Windows 10 boot up displays Remove disks or other media Press any key to restart

I learned about bootrec at:

How to fix MBR-helper in Windows 10

However, I tried those four steps:

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

and I still receive the error message in the title of this thread.

Neither scanos nor rebuildbcd found a windows installation, but I'm looking at my C drive from the recovery command prompt, and don't know why it isn't finding it. there is a C:\WINDOWS directory with 45 files and 79 dirs.

How it particular does bootrec determine it found a windows installation? Does bootrec work with [unlocked] BitLocker drives?

RMDEQ, Jul 31, 2017
  3. LukasVeit Win User
    bootrec /rebuildbcd can't find windows

Hey,

The command bootrec /rebuildbcd identificiates 0 Windows installations.

I already checked this thread Total identified Windows installations: 0 identified Windows installations: 0 - Microsoft Community

I found this tutorial:

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

The second command with attrib is not working because it can't find the path.

What shall I do?

LukasVeit, Jul 31, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Is your hard drive MBR or UFEI and is it a gpt disk?

Samuria, Jul 31, 2017
  5. davexnet Win User
    No it's legacy, normal BIOS/MBR

davexnet, Jul 31, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Let's say the Windows XP partition gets the drive letter F: with Windows 10 running. The command to run would be:

bcdboot F:\Windows /addlast /d

NavyLCDR, Jul 31, 2017
  8. davexnet Win User

Thanks for this, I have not tried it yet. Out of interest I also found an alternate method, step 2 in the "resolution"
    uses BCEDIT to add the missing info to the BCD
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rsion-of-the-w

I'm very cautious about EasyBCD; in some circumstances it installs it's own version of NTLDR and messes
    with the boot.ini and I'm trying to avoid that.

davexnet, Aug 1, 2017
  9. davexnet Win User
    Hello - I used these commands from the article mentioned above to manually add the Windows XP
    partition with ntldr to the BCD:

Bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Earlier Versions Of Windows"
    Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=d:
    Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
    Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

This did work, except it now booted with the graphical screen instead of the text based menu and options.
    This is how it was:

bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP [​IMG]

This is it after rebuilding the BCD (this sample is from the net but it's the similar appearance)

bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP [​IMG]

What is that determines whether you get this graphical screen or the simple line selection
    I mentioned above Some setting in the BCD?

For now I abandoned the BCD rebuild and restored the original, which I had backed up.
    Once restored, the simple text based menu was back

davexnet, Aug 11, 2017
  10. mike s Win User
    In my experience with dual booting Win10/XP, if rapid shutdown/hybrid sleep is disabled, you get the old text menu.
    If it is enabled, you get the Win10 graphical BCD.

mike s, Aug 13, 2017
  11. davexnet Win User
    Sometime in the past i had entered the command
    Powercfg -h off
    This was before I recreated the BCD. I think this disables fast start and hibernate. Assuming some indication of this makes it into the BCD, perhaps things got out of step when the new BCD was created

davexnet, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. bootrec /rebuildbcd does not find Windows XP - Similar Threads - bootrec rebuildbcd does

2. understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.: I've been trying to find an explanation of what the mbr, boot record and bcd store are.I've seen info like this ..https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-bootrec-exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues-902ebb04-daa3-4f90-579f-0fbf51f7dd5dand I understand I...
  3. understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    understanding bootrec fixmbr, fixboot, rebuildbcd.: I've been trying to find an explanation of what the mbr, boot record and bcd store are.I've seen info like this ..https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-bootrec-exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues-902ebb04-daa3-4f90-579f-0fbf51f7dd5dand I understand I...
  4. bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal?

in Windows 10 Support
    bootrec /scanos and /rebuildbcd finds 0 windows installations normal?: Is it normal for bootrec /scanos and bootrec /rebuildbcd to find 0 windows installations? From what I've gathered by searching online, it's quite not normal, but it also seems to be only for legacy BIOS. I'm using UEFI and can boot into windows fine, but bootrec still only...
  5. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: Hello recently my system got a BSOD while downloading something which led to corruption of system files, i was able to correct them using sfc/scannow and chkdsk /s /r , i can boot into windows normally but whenever i try to boot into windows recovery environment, i get the...
  6. bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bootrec /rebuildbcd fails: only finds windows.old when available: I have the following problem. I CAN boot to Windows as always, this is the strange part. I did a repair install recently using the .ISO, in order to fix some Windows Updates that were giving me error. After finishing, a new folder windows.old was created in C:/. In the...
  7. "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not...: This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."...
  8. windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result

windows 10 bootrec /rebuildbcd no result: Hi everyone, I had 3 OS on my computer, Windows 10, Windows 8 and Ubuntu. Because I didn't use it anymore, I messed up deleting the partition containing Ubuntu, so now the computer starts in 'grub rescue mode'. What I want to do is recovering the Windows bootloader to have...
  9. bootrec /rebuildbcd errors

bootrec /rebuildbcd errors: I am in the Windows recovery mode cmdline. After I type bootrec /rebuildbcd and hit 'y' and 'n' accordingly to adjust my boot configs, I get the following error: The system cannot find the path specified...
  10. bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working: I'm getting an odd issue where if I run either command, they don't run all the way through. bootrec /scanos doesn't tell me how many (if any) installations of Windows were found, and bootrec /rebuildbcd tells me it might take a while, but then quits after a few seconds with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. windows 7 bootrec scanos does not find

3. win10 bootrec does not find windows installation