Windows 10: Bootup Takes Two Tries

Discus and support Bootup Takes Two Tries in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a strange anomaly with my HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx Entertainment Notebook that had Windows 8.1installed. When I started bootup, it got so far and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wynona, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Wynona Win User

Bootup Takes Two Tries

I have a strange anomaly with my HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx Entertainment Notebook that had Windows 8.1installed. When I started bootup, it got so far and froze up. I had to do a hard shutdown. On the second try, the laptop starts, but takes an inordinately long time to get to the lock screen.

I thought that when I installed my 240 GB SSD drive and installed Windows 10 that the anomaly would be gone, but it's still happening.

If I shut down, I have to go through the two bootup tries again.

Anyone got any ideas what this is?

:)

Wynona, Oct 12, 2014

2. I continue to have a flashing black screen in windows 10

I have tried many of the solutions listed without much success. One of the solutions suggested was to go into Safe Mode and uninstall the device driver which then reinstalls on bootup. I appear to have two drivers: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and NVIDIA
    GeForce GT 750M. Should I have two?

RechargeSC, Oct 12, 2014
  3. eyke Win User
    6500 Classic bootup time?

Hi,

My 6500 Classic takes a glacial 2mins+ to bootup after a shutdown.

Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.

4. Saltgrass Win User

Bootup Takes Two Tries

Could you give a little more description of your current system?

You are running one SSD with a clean install of Windows 10? Is this UEFI or Legacy configuration?

You might also run the following command in an Administrative Command prompt and then zip the resulting text file and attach.

bcdedit /enum all > %userprofile%\Desktop\bcdtext.txt

Maybe someone will see the problem.

Saltgrass, Oct 12, 2014
  5. This is an odd case. Let me make sure of a few things

1) Win10 was installed on the SSD and is the only OS (no dual boots, no Virtual Machines)
    A fresh drive and a fresh install - right?

2) You've tried this with no external devices connected - if there is something attached that isn't working correctly, it might drag the system down with it.

See if this helps:
    Troubleshoot Problem with Clean Boot in Windows 8

If not, then try booting into BIOS / UEFI (tap the esc key when the system is starting (black screen)
    Find the diagnostics (a dv7 should have the efi diags)
    Run a full memory test.

The service manual (PDF) will tell you how to run the diags plus more (POST beep codes )

Post the results

I'm leaning to it being a memory issue - but that's just a guess at this point.

Slartybart, Oct 12, 2014
  6. Wynona Win User
    Thanks Bart!

Yes to #1 and @2

I will try the things you suggested. S

Strange you should be leaning toward a memory issue; I got a memory error when I shut down last night but I've gotten errors on Windows 8, so didn't pay special attention to it! I didn't have anything at hand to write on, but I'll catch it in a few minutes and post it.

Wynona, Oct 12, 2014
  7. Wynona Win User
    I tried to run the command, but it just went back to the regular command line and nothing happened. *Sad

Wynona, Oct 12, 2014
  8. Wynona Win User

Bootup Takes Two Tries

I went into the BIOS Diagnostics and Memory checked out OK. So did the SSD Drive.

I changed the boot order from USB Floppy to my SSD, which, BTW, wasn't named SSD.

I'm now heading over to "Troubleshoot Problems with a clean boot".

Wynona, Oct 12, 2014
  9. Wynona Win User
    I tried "Troubleshoot Problem with Clean Boot in Windows 8", which was a big mistake.

After going through Part 1, Windows booted as it should. So, I went to Part 2.

One thing of note is that there are no services listed for anything except Microsoft. Probably because I haven't installed any third party apps so far. I deselected the first three pages of mscfg, clicked on Restart and essentially destroyed Windows 10. Bootup would get to the point of passing the start screen, but would never show the Lock Screen.

I had to reset Windows 10 and reinstall Office 365 so I could use Outlook for email!

Things are OK for now and I'm leaving well enough alone until I'm ready to try enabling/using UEFI.

Wynona, Oct 12, 2014
  10. Saltgrass Win User
    The command works fine from an Administrative command prompt, and unless you are trying to run it in PowerShell, it should have placed a text file on your desktop. If you are running PowerShell as Admin, replace %userprofile% with $ENV:userprofile

Saltgrass, Oct 12, 2014
  11. Wynona Win User
    Yeah, I saw a text file on my desktop, but it's gone now. I'll run it in awhile, since I need to finish a job first.

And I don't use PowerShell, since I'm not familiar with it.

Wynona, Oct 12, 2014
  12. You're welcome Wynona,

Memory errors: On Win8 and Win10 - correct?
    You might try re-seating the memory. If the memory error persists, try to determine if one of the modules is bad.
    See: RAM - Test with Memtest86+ - Windows 7 Help Forums
    :Note: This is a long test - let it run the suggested number of passes.

Ouch! The tutorial does say hide MS services. A reset will always get you back.
    --> Moot point now, but a good warning for anyone following this thread.

How is the machine behaving after the reset? Still requiring two startups?

Slartybart, Oct 15, 2014
  13. Bootup Takes Two Tries

gregrocker, Oct 15, 2014
  14. Wynona Win User
    Dunno about Win 8 because I installed on a brand new SSD drive. Strangely, I have seen the memory error on shutdown of Windows 10 a couple of times, but not every time I shut down.

I did the RAM test and HDD test a couple or three times and everything came out OK. However, I'll try what you've linked tomorrow after we get back from doc's office. Routine health stuff.

Absotively, posolutely! Ain't goin' back thar agin!

Still the same . . . requires two attempts to boot. Another thing to note is that on the first attempt to boot, "Press Esc, etc." flashes; you gotta be quick as the 'quick brown fox' to press Esc. On the second attempt, "Press Esc, etc." sticks around long enough to be read and to press Esc.

I was out of town when I installed the SSD and Windows 10 on the laptop, so I'll have to wait until things are unpacked later tomorrow afternoon.

To sum up:

Windows 8.1 on the original laptop hard drive requires two boots.

Windows 10 on a brand new SSD drive (original drive totally removed) requires two boots.

Although I have an external Toshiba hard drive, it's not normally plugged into the laptop unless I'm travelling.

My Brother MFC J825 DW network printer was installed on Windows 8.1.

My Brother MFC J825 DW network printer was not installed on Windows 10 because I was not at home where the printer is.

Oh, and I even changed out the mouse because Fry's had a Microsoft Mobile Mouse on sale for $10!

This laptop came with Vista 64 bit preinstalled several years ago. I immediately removed Vista and installed Windows 7. Windows 7 never required two boots, nor did Windows 8. When Windows 8 came out, I clean installed it and upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then Windows 8.1.1. Somewhere between Windows 8.1 and 8.1.1, things went awry, but I can't pinpoint when.

Wynona, Oct 15, 2014
  15. Thanks for the details, it does help.

When I read your post, it occurred to me that the memory error is a Win10 bug - I reported it to MS feedback and a few other people have posted it here (Noelbeth55 pointed me to the thread)
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...-shutdown.html

The clean boot tutorial is fine - just don't remove MS services, they're kind of needed to run MS Windows *Wink

The machine is a bit old (Vista original OS) and it might not be up to the task of Win10.

If your machine meets or exceeds the required specs - then it will take some more digging.
    Please post the URL to a PUBLISHED Speccy report per this tutorial:
    Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

You said it began around the time you installed 8.1 update 1 - Win10 is really 8.2. There is a difference between Win8 and 8.1 (which now includes update 1) - making the point because you said the machine ran on Vista, Win7 and Win8.

The thing that caught my attention was the having to press the ESC key at boot - that's not normal. What is the screen telling you? Post a screen shot if you can take a picture with a camera, or jot it down - thanks.

Also check if there is a BIOS update available.

We'll take it from there after you get a chance to post the information requested.

Since Win10 is a preview release - consider running it in a Hyper-V virtual machine. It's really easy and Kari did a great job making it nearly foolproof:
    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

That won't solve the double boot, but it will save you from having to reinstall your main OS

Bill

Slartybart, Oct 16, 2014
Thema:

Bootup Takes Two Tries

1. Bootup Takes Two Tries - Similar Threads - Bootup Takes Tries

2. What can I do if ChkDisk on bootup takes too long?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What can I do if ChkDisk on bootup takes too long?: Hello, I am not really a tech savvy person so I will try to explain this as throughly as possible.So starting about 2-3 weeks ago, Windows 11 has been acting up on my drive. My R: drive seems to be badly corrupted, as it seems to be taking very long to boot my PC.Sometimes...
  3. What can I do if ChkDisk on bootup takes too long?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What can I do if ChkDisk on bootup takes too long?: Hello, I am not really a tech savvy person so I will try to explain this as throughly as possible.So starting about 2-3 weeks ago, Windows 11 has been acting up on my drive. My R: drive seems to be badly corrupted, as it seems to be taking very long to boot my PC.Sometimes...
  4. Window 11 bootup stucks at loading circle and takes forever to statup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 11 bootup stucks at loading circle and takes forever to statup.: Whenever I reboot my laptop, it boots relatively fast to the window login screen, but it takes forever at the loading circle about 10+ minutes.After finished loading, a cmd.exe window pops up displaying "System cannot find the file specified. [process exited with code 1]"...
  5. Window 11 bootup stucks at loading circle and takes forever to statup.

Window 11 bootup stucks at loading circle and takes forever to statup.: Whenever I reboot my laptop, it boots relatively fast to the window login screen, but it takes forever at the loading circle about 10+ minutes.After finished loading, a cmd.exe window pops up displaying "System cannot find the file specified. [process exited with code 1]"...
  6. System is checking and taking hours repairing Drive D at bootup repeatedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System is checking and taking hours repairing Drive D at bootup repeatedly: System is checking and taking hours repairing Drive D at bootup repeatedly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-is-checking-and-taking-hours-repairing/c2dffc6a-b65c-4447-9d62-84e5812c6438
  7. System is checking and taking hours repairing Drive D at bootup repeatedly

System is checking and taking hours repairing Drive D at bootup repeatedly: System is checking and taking hours repairing Drive D at bootup repeatedly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-is-checking-and-taking-hours-repairing/c2dffc6a-b65c-4447-9d62-84e5812c6438
  8. Cannot manually put Win10 PC to sleep takes two tries

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot manually put Win10 PC to sleep takes two tries: When I go to Windows-Key>Power>Sleep, the display shuts off, but the hard drive continues to spin. I have the Automatic Power Settings to kick in after 10 minutes, but that doesn't work either. When I manually issue the Sleep command a second time, that DOES work, putting the...
  9. Trying To Add Two Children

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying To Add Two Children: I have now spent hours trying to add my two children to a family account. I have setup Microsoft accounts for them and get all the way through the process until I hit "Join" on the Join the Family screen and the below pops up. I have gone through the process countless times...
  10. Bootup Problems

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bootup Problems: How can I disable need for password on bootup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/bootup-problems/d5c0988c-c95a-473a-96bc-e56dfa79c0cd"