Windows 10: Bootup without login

Discus and support Bootup without login in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Pro machine that is in a secure location. Using the User Accounts settings (netplwiz) , I unchecked the option, "Users must enter a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by LarryTX, Jun 28, 2017.

1. LarryTX Win User

Bootup without login

I have a Windows 10 Pro machine that is in a secure location. Using the User Accounts settings (netplwiz) , I unchecked the option, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." For over a year now, with Windows 10, that has worked just fine. The machine booted up without ever displaying the login screen or requiring credentials. Today, I rebooted, and it did and installation of the latest software.

Now, it requires a login every time I boot up. I double-checked, and "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is not checked in the User Accounts settings. Apparently, Windows 10 now just ignores that setting.

Is there any way to make the machine boot up without requiring a login? Once again, Microsoft's software engineers have worked overtime to make Windows less usable, more inefficient and to disable anything that the user might want. Any suggestions to thwart their efforts will be most appreciated.

:)

LarryTX, Jun 28, 2017

2. Windows 10 won't boot up

Thanks for the tip. I did try disconnecting the modem and wi-fi and it didn't boot up at all. The bootup screen just hangs without doing anything. It will bootup in safemode and it seems find. I was able to run a virus scan using norton and no findings.
    If I try to boot system in regular mode it just won't work.

JuanNavarro1976, Jun 28, 2017
  3. BOTUS Win User
    OVI Suite 3.0.0.284 : Cannot sync contacts

Hi everyone, another bug to report

been using older version without STRESS!!! now I have 3.0.0.284

it takes forever to bootup, far far longer than working earlier versions

then I can't login in at all, tried again 24hrs later still broken and unlike all the other stuff there is no reinstall option and no update

but I can use same login details to happily get on ovi from a webpage

:smileymad:

BOTUS, Jun 28, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Bootup without login

philc43, Jun 28, 2017
  5. LarryTX Win User
    Actually, I had already tried turning the option on and off as described in Option 1 in the link you provided, at least three times. That didn't work, so I tried it a couple of more times when I got your reply just to make sure, and it still didn't work. However, the article did give me inspiration. I went in with regedit and did the change that they suggested (sure enough netplwiz hadn't made the critical changes to the Registry). Viola! That worked. Score 1 for Microsoft Software Engineers. How many home users would understand the archaic dysfuntional Registry enough to go in and make those changes? Once again, they've managed to turn Windows into something that requires a fulltime technical person to make it work.

Just for the record, what was lacking was that there was no DefaultPassword entry in the relevant section of the Registry. I had entered m password in the User Accounts dialog each time I turned the requirement for entering a login off. Apparently, now, the dialog is not passing that back to the Registry.

LarryTX, Jun 28, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Thanks for the feedback. Option 2 is less secure as the tutorial explains because the password is actually shown in the registry rather than being encrypted in the Credentials Manager.

This suggests to me that there was something awry with the Credentials Manager but I do not know how you can fix that.

philc43, Jun 28, 2017
  7. LarryTX Win User
    Thanks. I had run sfc /scannow before I did the Registry thing, and it found no integrity violations. I'm not sure if sfc actually checks Credentials Manager.

LarryTX, Jun 28, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Bootup without login

This often sorts this issue. Change to a local account, reboot, login, then change back to an MS account, and then netwplwiz works.

PS It really is silly to suggest your issue is deliberately intended by MS.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Bootup without login

1. Bootup without login - Similar Threads - Bootup without login

2. Stuck without Login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck without Login: I put on my PC ,after booting,I'm unable to log into my PC because it's was not displaying the part where I would input my passwordI've tried several options but it's still not workingIs my PC damaged?...
  3. Stuck without Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck without Login: I put on my PC ,after booting,I'm unable to log into my PC because it's was not displaying the part where I would input my passwordI've tried several options but it's still not workingIs my PC damaged?...
  4. Stuck without Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. login without internet

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    login without internet: Hi! i got a new machine. i started the session with windows 10, email account, pswd and 3 hints etc Without being connected to the internet. Next time i iniciated a session i was disconnected again and had no problem enetering my laptop. However the 3rd time, i Was connected...
  6. Can I set a Screen Lock Password without any Bootup Login Password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I set a Screen Lock Password without any Bootup Login Password?: I am using Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition.-I can enable the screen lock by pressing <<Windows> + <L>>. However, I just click to get the screen back.Is it possible to set a screen lock password, while not setting a Windows Login Password whatsoever, oractivating or requiring...
  7. Can I set a Screen Lock Password without any Bootup Login Password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I set a Screen Lock Password without any Bootup Login Password?: I am using Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition.-I can enable the screen lock by pressing <<Windows> + <L>>. However, I just click to get the screen back.Is it possible to set a screen lock password, while not setting a Windows Login Password whatsoever, oractivating or requiring...
  8. Bootup Login - no password box, but MS Account popup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Bootup Login - no password box, but MS Account popup: Hi, I have just rebuild my laptop and all went well, except when I bootup now instead of seeing my name and a password box I see my name and below that the text 'Sign In'. When I click on 'Sign In' I get a Microsoft Account password popup request. How do I change this...
  9. Login from bootup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login from bootup: Hi, I have an Alianware Aurora R8 which has been running Win 10 ok for 9 months. I started the PC yesterday and the welcom screen showed [ATTACH] The PIN is incorrect This was without any input from me! I clicked OK few times and and briefly noticed that the input box was...
  10. How to Bootup to Login Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Bootup to Login Screen: Hello, Re: Dell Inspiron 3670, Intel Core, i5. Windows Home 10, 1803 First, my computer takes almost 2 minutes to bootup. During the bootup process first it goes to the Dell logo screen then to the login screen. Is there anything I can do to make my computer bootup to...