Windows 10: Botched dual boot attempt - HELP!

Discus and support Botched dual boot attempt - HELP! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So here is the skinny: Computer in question already had working win 10 on it. Was running separate machine with XP on it for recording but machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LHoCA, Jul 5, 2016.

1. LHoCA Win User

Botched dual boot attempt - HELP!

So here is the skinny:
    Computer in question already had working win 10 on it. Was running separate machine with XP on it for recording but machine died so I have to use win 10 machine. Have dual booted computers before so seemed like no big deal. Now win XP is installed but 10 is not able to start. Edited boot.ini and added 10 but was getting hal.dll error. Changed partition number and then got ntoskrnl.dll error. Used XP disk (don't have 10 on a DVD or flashdisk yet) to try and fix issue. Botched both OS's, MBR is bad (BootMGR missing or corrupt - Ctrl, Alt, Del)). Reinstalling XP at the moment but want to fix the boot. I Have 10 install and recovery partition on drive. Can put it on a stick once XP is reloaded. What to do after that?

:)

LHoCA, Jul 5, 2016

2. KB 3114409 uninstall

Hi, I uninstalled the botched update KB3114409 and now my w10 will not boot. Self repair fails and system restore as well. Is there a way to make w10 boot?

KB 3114409

JoannaRissman, Jul 5, 2016
  3. Help on Dual Boot

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to dual boot the computer.

I would like to inform you that, it is possible to install Windows 10, only if Windows XP is preinstalled on the computer. If
    you are trying to install Windows XP just to run a particular software, I suggest you to run the program in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run the program in Compatibility mode, please follow the below steps:

1) Right click on the Program

2) Click on Properties

3) Click on Compatibility tab

4) Select Run this program in compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jul 5, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Download and Run Easy BCD and Add the Windows 10 to the Boot loader.

spunk, Jul 5, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The problem is that you need to add Windows XP to the Windows 10 boot loader. It sounds like you were trying to add Windows 10 to the XP boot loader which will not work.

Lets say you have a HDD running Windows 10 installed. You add a Windows XP HDD. Continue to boot into Windows 10 (it sounds like you booted into Windows XP instead). The Windows XP partition will get a drive letter in Windows 10, let's say E:\. Then in Command Prompt (Admin) in Windows 10 you run:

BDCBOOT E:\Windows /d /addlast

That adds the Windows XP on drive E:\ to the Windows 10 boot loader. As long as the Windows XP partition containing the operating system is intact, that's all you have to do. You don't need the XP boot loader files.

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  6. LHoCA Win User
    Thanks for the replies. Will use program mentioned above to fix. Sounds like it should work. Ya know I used to be all over this kind of stuff...now I just want the machines to work.
    Thanks again.

Uhh, The problem I'm having is I can't get into win 10, so is there a way to do this from XP or am I SOL on the 10 install?

LHoCA, Jul 5, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why can't you get into Windows 10? What error are you getting?

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  8. LHoCA Win User

Only XP comes up. If I try to add win 10 to the boot order within XP I get the above mentioned errors after I select win 10. I've got to fix the win 10 boot sector somehow from outside of win 10. Is there a way to do this?

Oh and btw, I cannot access the repair/install files as XP does not recognize the space those files reside in and I don't want to alter the location by assigning a drive letter to it as it might damage it.

LHoCA, Jul 5, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Make a USB or DVD/CD of Kyhi's Recovery Drive. Boot into that, run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu is an option to fix Windows boot problems.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2016
  10. x509 Win User
    Will this work? I read somewhere that BCDBOOT only works with Vista and newer. Did I mis-remember?

11. LHoCA Win User
    Used the boot iso to get into a really cool fix-it environment there. Used Macrium, followed the cues. Got both OS's working now!
    You da Man!*Biggrin

LHoCA, Jul 5, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it worked for you!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Botched dual boot attempt - HELP! - Similar Threads - Botched dual boot

2. Botched Microsoft Support help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Botched Microsoft Support help: I've just gotten Windows 11 Single Language and wished to change that single language to another. There was a way around in Windows 10, but I wasn't sure about 11.A million attempts to contact support later, one girl finally took the time to hear me out and found a solution:...
  3. Botched Microsoft Support help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Botched Microsoft Support help: I've just gotten Windows 11 Single Language and wished to change that single language to another. There was a way around in Windows 10, but I wasn't sure about 11.A million attempts to contact support later, one girl finally took the time to hear me out and found a solution:...
  4. Dual boot fail help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot fail help: So I was installing Kali Linux on the other half of my 1TB SSD in the new asus pro duo laptop i got in order to have a dual boot between windows which i had recently upgraded to windows 11 like 3 days prior to this happening. The first time went fine, no errors on the...
  5. Dual boot fail help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot fail help: So I was installing Kali Linux on the other half of my 1TB SSD in the new asus pro duo laptop i got in order to have a dual boot between windows which i had recently upgraded to windows 11 like 3 days prior to this happening. The first time went fine, no errors on the...
  6. Need help in Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help in Dual Boot: I have a PC with 2 SSD and an NVMe . I have Windows 10 installed on NVMe And have a free SSD and I want to install Linux ( OpenSUSE ) on a free SSD . I want to Setup dual boot on it but I have no idea how to do it and I doubt that it is possible via NVMe and SSD pathway . If...
  7. Macrium Dual Boot Plan Help

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Dual Boot Plan Help: Have: # 250 GB Samsung SSD installed on laptop with partitions: 1.17GB system, 221.95 GB W7 Ultimate, 9.76 GB Recovery # New 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD #Macrium image of 250 GB Samsung SSD with partitions: 1.17GB system, 198.66 GB W10, 9.76 GB Recovery. This was a clean...
  8. Attempted 8.1/10 dual boot, only boots to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Attempted 8.1/10 dual boot, only boots to 10: I followed the How To Geek's guide on how to dual boot - sort of. I was unable to shrink my Win 8.1 boot partition in disk manager- it kept telling me my disk didn't have enough free space, in spite of the fact that it should have had plenty. Win 8.1 is installed on my...
  9. Help with dual boot

Help with dual boot: Hey everyone, I currently have a hard drive with Windows 10 installed on it, and I want to dual boot it with an older version like Windows 7 or XP. (Just for nostalgia:p) Microsoft said to install the older one first or my computer would be screwed, but the newer one is...
  10. Botched Upgrade

Botched Upgrade: I have a botched Upgrade and quite sure it was because of an old BIOS not compatible with the Upgrade. I say this because I've seen this with many HP machines, and, there are Very New, and many BIOS Firmware updates present on the site for this pc. Not to mention all the BIOS...