Windows 10: Both Dism and Health Image fail, reporting missing source files

Discus and support Both Dism and Health Image fail, reporting missing source files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm trying to repair a W10 installation, and so I ran Dism. Unfortunately it fails, and reports that it can't locate the source files - Error -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by W10User123, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Both Dism and Health Image fail, reporting missing source files

I'm trying to repair a W10 installation, and so I ran Dism. Unfortunately it fails, and reports that it can't locate the source files -

Error - cannot locate the source files:

Both Dism and Health Image fail, reporting missing source files [​IMG]

The example I used for running Dism:

File Explorer, showing drive G, which was used when I ran Dism:

I then used Image Health tool instead. Unfortunately, this fails too, with the same issue -

I'm not sure if this is important, but the instructions for the Image Health tool says -Step 2: Right-Click IMAGE_HEALTH.CMD > Select Properties > Select Unblock
    When I right clicked on this .cmd file, I couldn't see an option/property that said "Unblock" -

Cmd properties:

Thanks a lot for any advice on this issue!

:)

W10User123, Dec 17, 2016

2. Will a x86 Windows 10 Pro Iso Image Work For Repairing x64 System Health Using DISM

I am having a bit of trouble running the system health restore using DISM Online tool.

It runs into a specify source error and does not complete.

[Note] - My Shell Scan Health already reported corrupt system health

Can i use a Windows 10 x86 (32-bit) Iso Image Mounted in Windows Disk Image as a source file to run the following command?

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:F:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

My software is Windows 10 Pro - Online Upgrade from Windows 8.1 (x64)

KudaManyowa, Dec 17, 2016
  3. Repeated SFC Failures; DISM Says It Can't Find Install Image That's in the DVD Drive

Repeated uses of sfc /scannow, with reboots, produce identical reports that corrupt but unfixable files exist.

This elevated command: "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess", where E: is the drive containing the ISO used to install the system (10 Pro), produces this:

"Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found."

Why is DISM reporting it cannot find the source image?

Why is sfc /scannow failing repeatedly?

What is the correct way to use these tools to eliminate file corruption reported by sfc?

joncrcrawford, Dec 17, 2016
  4. Railtech Win User

Both Dism and Health Image fail, reporting missing source files

I would say your issue is that you are trying to do this to a DVD. Copy the file to a USB thumb drive so that changes can be made.

Railtech, Dec 17, 2016
  5. When using Dism, I download the Win10_1607_EnglishInternational_x64.iso file from MS Techbench, right clicked on this file, then selected the Mount option. It mounted the iso file OK, and created a virtual G: drive letter DVD drive. This was done so that Dism could then use the install.wim file found inside the G:\sources folder. Unfortunately, Dism reported that it was unable to locate it.

W10User123, Dec 17, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you United States or United Kingdom version of Windows 10? English International is for United Kingdom.

In the command prompt (admin) window run:

dism /online /get-intl

That will display the default language installed. If it says US, then you need just the standard Windows 10 ISO file, not the international file.

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /get-intl Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.14393.0 Image Version: 10.0.14393.0 Reporting online international settings. Default system UI language : en-US System locale : en-US Default time zone : Pacific Standard Time Active keyboard(s) : 0409:00000409 Keyboard layered driver : PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-Key) Installed language(s): en-US Type : Fully localized language. The operation completed successfully.[/quote]

NavyLCDR, Dec 17, 2016
  7. Thanks for the tip. I'm in the UK, and dism get-intl returns OK:

Code: Default system UI language : en-GB The UI language fallback is : en-US System locale : en-GB Default time zone : GMT Standard Time Active keyboard(s) : 0809:00000809 Keyboard layered driver : PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-Key) Installed language(s): en-GB Type : Partially localized language, MUI type. Fallback Languages en-US[/quote]

W10User123, Dec 17, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Are you sure you have 64 bit Windows installed?

NavyLCDR, Dec 17, 2016
  9. I have the 64-bit version installed:

W10User123, Dec 17, 2016
  10. Railtech Win User
    Mounting an ISO runs in a virtual space, not sure you can run DISM that way.

Railtech, Dec 17, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Normally you can. And I just did on my computer to be sure.

@W10User123, the only other thing I can suggest is to try :2 after index.wim in the command instead of :1. Don't know if it will work or not, but in the standard Windows 10 ISO file index 1 Both Dism and Health Image fail, reporting missing source files :)1) is Windows 10 Pro and index 2 Both Dism and Health Image fail, reporting missing source files :)2) is Windows 10 Home. That being said, I just ran the dism restorehealth command on my Windows 10 Home laptop using index 1 with a mounted standard Windows 10 ISO file and it completed successfully anyway.

NavyLCDR, Dec 17, 2016
  12. Railtech Win User
    Thanks Navy, that's nice to know.

OP, are you running DISM from as admin?

Railtech, Dec 17, 2016
  13. Both Dism and Health Image fail, reporting missing source files

Unfortunately I still get the Error: 0x800f081f - The source files could not be found when using wim:2

Using mounted ISO at virtual DVD drive letter G:
    Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:2 /limitaccess[/quote] Using copied-and-pasted install.wim file put in to C:\sources folder:
    Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:C:\sources\install.wim:2 /limitaccess[/quote] @Railtech, when running Dism, I use an elevated command prompt, and when there it says "Administrator: Command Prompt".

W10User123, Dec 18, 2016
  14. Railtech Win User
    A repair install should clear things up for you as the process overwrites OS system files and will in fact solve seemingly unsolvable issues.

Railtech, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Both Dism and Health Image fail, reporting missing source files - Similar Threads - Both Dism Health

2. DISM missing source files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM missing source files: I used DISM restore health but it gave me back a reply that im missing source files Can I know how to fix this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-missing-source-files/5307ab16-cbe5-4729-8ff3-f1704caff00a
  3. DISM missing source files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM missing source files: I used DISM restore health but it gave me back a reply that im missing source files Can I know how to fix this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-missing-source-files/5307ab16-cbe5-4729-8ff3-f1704caff00a
  4. 0x800700c1 followd by an SFC scan fail followd by missing DISM source files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x800700c1 followd by an SFC scan fail followd by missing DISM source files: So is got 3 updates on pending:I got 0x800700c1 error code on all, so I did the recommended troubleshooting processes none of the worked. Including, I did the SFC /scannow method. I got a message, that it cannot start the rapir service. I did the troubleshooting for that too,...
  5. Windows 10 Update to 21H1 Fails. Attempted DISM Image Repair, but DISM Source Files Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update to 21H1 Fails. Attempted DISM Image Repair, but DISM Source Files Missing: Hello,I have been struggling with this for about a month now. Windows updates have failed every time that I have attempted to download them. I have been following a string of questions posted here but have reached a part where I am hopelessly lost. I have contacted Windows...
  6. Windows 10 Update to 21H1 Fails. Attempted DISM Image Repair, but DISM Source Files Missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Update to 21H1 Fails. Attempted DISM Image Repair, but DISM Source Files Missing: Hello,I have been struggling with this for about a month now. Windows updates have failed every time that I have attempted to download them. I have been following a string of questions posted here but have reached a part where I am hopelessly lost. I have contacted Windows...
  7. Windows 10 Update to 21H1 Fails. Attempted DISM Image Repair, but DISM Source Files Missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. sfc fails dism source fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc fails dism source fails: Windows 10 1803 Workgroup Tried all 3 and failed Have downloaded 1803 iso and mounted and shows as F:\ i see F:\sources\boot.wim have tried to run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:F:\Sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  9. Dism failing in restoring health of Windows Image

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dism failing in restoring health of Windows Image: I am trying to restore health of my Win 10 Pro image. I downloaded the fresh Win 10 64 bit ISO from MS. Converted the install.esd to install.wim. But after running 82.9% Dism is failing with the error that source file could not be found.I first kept install.wim in root...
  10. DISM Restore Health "source files not found"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM Restore Health "source files not found": Forgive the redundancy with other threads on this topic, many of which I have read, with no solution... 1. Mounted the ISO from which 1703 Pro was installed. Converted the \sources\install.esd file to a .wim file. 2. Placed install.wim in D:\. 3. From an elevated CMD...