Windows 10: Bought used computer changed motherboard and windows wont boot

Discus and support Bought used computer changed motherboard and windows wont boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I Bought a Dell AIO Inspiron 3455. It was dead. Replaced motherboard. Ran diagnostic all good but it wont boot. How do I reactivate windows?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hqp, Jul 21, 2018.

1. HQP
    hqp Win User

Bought used computer changed motherboard and windows wont boot

I Bought a Dell AIO Inspiron 3455. It was dead. Replaced motherboard. Ran diagnostic all good but it wont boot. How do I reactivate windows?

:)

2. Windows 10 wont reactivate after motherboard change

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Jul 21, 2018
  3. Sharief K Win User
    Computer wont boot

Hi Scott,

I suggest you to do a startup repair using the Windows 10 installation media and check if it helps.

Here is the link to create Windows 10 ISO:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use installation or recovery media to get to startup settings:

• Insert the USB drive or DVD and restart your PC. If you’re using recovery media, skip the next step.

• On the Install Windows page, select Repair your computer. (If you’re not seeing this page, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check out info from your PC manufacturer on how to change
      boot order and then try again.)

• On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Startup Repair. Follow the onscreen instructions and if you can boot the computer to desktop.
    For more information on recovery options in Windows 10, refer to the link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Please update us with the status. We will be glad to assist you.

Sharief K, Jul 21, 2018
  4. Bought used computer changed motherboard and windows wont boot

PC wont boot up (No POST, No Video)

I recently installed a new Asus M5A99X Evo r2.0. The motherboard green LED lights up and the case and cpu fans spin. But there is no video when its hooked up to my monitor.

Steps that i have tried:
    PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about POST/boot/no video problems! - Systems

Made sure all connections are properly connected.

Flashing the CMOS

Tested the PSU

Followed all steps in the user manual

If there are any links that you guys can point me to or suggestions that could help it would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Mrblack761, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

Bought used computer changed motherboard and windows wont boot

1. Bought used computer changed motherboard and windows wont boot - Similar Threads - Bought used computer

2. Getting OEM bind with a used bought motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting OEM bind with a used bought motherboard: I got win 10 home activated without asking for a key. I bought a used motherboardASUS H81M. Does it depends upon good hardware getting better edition or it is a fixed edition by manufacturer? As told its used, is it legal for me to use the oem key used by another person...
  3. Getting OEM bind with a used bought motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting OEM bind with a used bought motherboard: I got win 10 home activated without asking for a key. I bought a used motherboardASUS H81M. Does it depends upon good hardware getting better edition or it is a fixed edition by manufacturer? As told its used, is it legal for me to use the oem key used by another person...
  4. Computer wont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer wont boot: My computer HP all in one pavillion recently crashed while I was playing a game. When I restarted, it kept loading a black screen for about 5 minutes followed by a blue screen saying the device ran into an error. I also get confronted by some messages saying hard drive short...
  5. Computer wont boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer wont boot: My computer HP all in one pavillion recently crashed while I was playing a game. When I restarted, it kept loading a black screen for about 5 minutes followed by a blue screen saying the device ran into an error. I also get confronted by some messages saying hard drive short...
  6. windows 10 wont activate after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 wont activate after motherboard change: Hello, I recently changed my cpu/motherboard from an intel i5 6600k + asus z170 motherboard to an AMD ryzen 7 + asus B550-F motherboard, and all of a sudden windows says it isn't activated. I ran through all the troubleshooters which didn't seem to help. when going...
  7. harddisk wont boot to windows after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    harddisk wont boot to windows after motherboard replacement: greetings , i'm a desktop engineer, i have been changing motherboard of ecselite group to different desktops, after replacing the board the bios prompts message as 'no boot device detected '.How to solve this without the need of re-installation of windows when the OS is...
  8. New motherboard now wont boot into windows

in Windows 10 Support
    New motherboard now wont boot into windows: Aloha everyone so this is what I have going on. fyi I built the computer myself have had it a couple years. last week I got a USB overvoltage so I replaced the MB now it wont boot to Win 10 1: I installed a new Asus z390e motherboard it posted to the bios my drive shows up as...
  9. Computer wont boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer wont boot: My computer seems to have died. An info message says: The Boot Configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors The message also gave me instructions to create a Windows Installation Disc, restart the computer, and click "repair your computer". I did this...
  10. How to boot windows if motherboard is changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to boot windows if motherboard is changed: Though this is about Win 7 but I think it will be same for others also. I have Win 7 running on AMD and I am trying to run my hard-disk on new Intel. I could not boot. I have new motherboard drivers. I tried to install these while my hard disk still in old PC but these did...