Windows 10: Brand new ACER laptop, can't connect to wifi?!?!?

Discus and support Brand new ACER laptop, can't connect to wifi?!?!? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is for my brother's computers, so I don't have all the specs, but I know enough about computers and earlier operating systems to figure this out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by netrate, Apr 29, 2016.

1. netrate Win User

Brand new ACER laptop, can't connect to wifi?!?!?

This is for my brother's computers, so I don't have all the specs, but I know enough about computers and earlier operating systems to figure this out but
    1) Wifi comes up for the linksys - home network
    2) Asks to connect
    3) Click connect
    4) Says connecting (without a password)
    5) Says it is connected, not connected

The linksys router is password protected (works on the other computers in the house, my phone, my ipad etc), but when I try to hook up the new laptop to that wifi connect, it doesn't ask me for the password - not sure why this is. I have never had this issue with another computer before, so I am guessing it is the newer OS as I am unfamiliar with Windows 10.

I have tried "Forget" and "Disconnect" to no avail, it never asks me for the password when I am trying to connect to it. And even when it says CONNECTED, it is not.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

netrate, Apr 29, 2016
  2. TuckerRay Win User

Windows 10 doesn't connect to internet

A few weeks ago I got a new internet provider and my Windows 10 laptop (Acer brand) will not connect to it but it'll connect to my previous internet. This isn't the first time its done this. Whenever i take my laptop to a friend's house,it wont connect to
    their's either.

Oh, I'm able to connect my other devices to the new connection so its not the provider.

TuckerRay, Apr 29, 2016
  3. Brand new acer aspire laptop restore factory settings

I'm so <removed> disgusted... this thing won't let me restore to factory... I ask it to delete everything, and the
    <removed> thing tells me I don't have enough space to delete>?? WHY DO I NEED MORE SPACE TO GET RID OF CRAP... to begin with, I have deleted {manually} all photos, docs, temp files, etc, anything that was taking up so much space... this thing
    came with Edge, and every time I sign on, chrome wants to come on, windows 10, I have some 'Apache', coolsavings, CentOs coming up, and will not let me uninstall... I never downloaded them, and cannot find anywhere to contact them to ask them to get the <removed>
    off of my computer... intruders! Anyway, I have tried to delete previous versions of windows and reinstall, AGAIN, with intent to take it back to factory settings... it tells me, I have over 300 MB of browsers...
    <Non relevant content removed>

ANOTHER THING... BING... I want it gone !!! <removed>

* Moved from Edge

cherMcKechnie, Apr 29, 2016
  4. netrate Win User

Ok I finally got it to ask for a key - weird, the router settings had be RESET so there was no password.

I reset the password and entered a new one into the router for my brother
    1) tried the new key with my phone - worked
    2) tried the new key with his new laptop - AND even with the key, it does not connect - tells me I am entering in the WRONG KEY

I am wondering if the router is too old for windows 10? Is there a way to check?

netrate, Apr 29, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Does not matter how old the Gateway is. If trying to use WPS, it is just letting the wifi automatically connect.

The SSID Passphrase is set on the gateway. If he is connected to the correct WiFi, entering the correct Passphrase should connect it.

bro67, Apr 29, 2016
  6. netrate Win User
    Yeah it doesn't. I don't know if the router needs a firmware update or not. My brother, against my wishes, went out to buy a new router. Maybe that will solve the problem or the laptop might be faulty

netrate, Apr 29, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Again the router does not need anything, it will not even have a Firmware update, unless there was a Security problem with IPTables, since they run on Linux. As for him buying a new Gateway, it may or may not. Just depends on if he sets it up properly.

There are too many questions still outstanding. Does he run any kind of third party Network Security software on his computer, does he have WPS enabled, did he properly secure the admin interface and also set up Wireless properly. Then of course there is the fact that too many people think that they have to install the software on the CD that comes with the unit, which you do not.

bro67, Apr 30, 2016
  8. netrate Win User

Ok
    Here is what I know.
    I have managed to get it to ask for the security key. The key works - and I have it set for AUTOMATICALLY CONNECT.
    Now the trouble is that once the is restarted, it forgets and does not connect until the LINKSYS is clicked on and the security password is typed in again.
    this does not happen to any other phone or laptop used in the house.

netrate, May 1, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Turn off WPS on the Linksys and plug in the Passphrase. There is a huge security hole with WPS, is why it is turned off by default of Access Points and Gateways with Wifi.

It should be set for WPA (tkip)/WPA2 (aes).

bro67, May 1, 2016
  10. netrate Win User
    I have just recently set it to WPA (tkip)/WPA2 (aes), but the problem still persists.
    1) I have it CONNECT AUTOMATICALLY, then I type in the security phrase
    2) It connects
    3) When I restart the computer, it will NOT AUTOMATICALLY CONNECT.
    4) This has happened several times. I tried to uncheck and recheck the CONNECT AUTOMATICALLY but that doesn't seem to affect it.

Any further ideas?

netrate, May 2, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Check Router settings -- does it use DHCP or does it try and allocate a specific IP address -- in which case you might have problems with security settings / IP "Lease times" or 1001 other settings. Check also that the router can allocate enough IP addresses too -- remember a lot of households have phones, tablets, kindles etc all connected to the Internet too so you might have loads of devices using up the IP addresses.

You also need to check signal strength of wifi --if weak then computer will disconnect randomly. You can get better response with less interference if your router can use a 5GHZ wifi band signal rather than the 2.4GHZ one (your wifi card also need to be able to handle that too).

If you have to use the 2.4 GHZ wifi band channels 6 and 11 are often the least congested -- cable routers etc usually default to channels 1 and 2 -- and outside the USA channel 13 is a reasonably free one too -- few people actually know it;s there so a good choice - but I think it's restricted in the USA.

The 5GHZ band is better all round if you have the signal strength and hardware to use it though.

Usually having the router set to DHCP should work -- also ensure Windows Firewall allows connections and you don't have any idiotic A/V software hosing up network connections.

While testing it's best to have A/V software not working / stopped and switch off firewall. Then gradually turn back on security stuff so if there's a problem you know which component is causing the defect.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 2, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    It is common with Windows 10 to not automatically catch the lease when it sees the Access Point.

We had that problem all of the time when we ran 10 on the two laptops. Switched to Linux Mint and the problem went away.

bro67, May 2, 2016
  13. netrate Win User

Not that easy with this to switch, it is my brother's purchase. I am sure there is a way around it.
    The configuration is already DHCP
    This routers works with two tablets and a phone on several occasions and none of these have the issue plus there is a computer set up wirelessly in the basement (far from the router) and that works. Do you think it could be windows 10?

netrate, May 4, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    There is nothing to switch. It is a setting on the Gateway that solves this issue. As for Windows 10, I have already stated that it has a problem when it comes to WiFi leases. Knowing Microsoft and the way they have royally screwed up all versions of 10, they will most likely never fix or solve this problem with the OS.

bro67, May 4, 2016
  15. netrate Win User
    That sucks, I am going to tell him to take it back to the store. It is the version of windows that hasn't been updated or fixed?

netrate, May 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Brand new ACER laptop, can't connect to wifi?!?!? - Similar Threads - Brand ACER laptop

2. No Wifi on brand new windows 11 Victus Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Wifi on brand new windows 11 Victus Laptop: Tried to use laptop today for only 4th time. It won’t connect to WiFi, it doesn’t even show WiFi as an option. The bottom right only shows a planet with a line through it. When I open network & internet settings it shows me I am not connect and gives me Ethernet options. I...
  3. No Wifi on brand new windows 11 Victus Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Wifi on brand new windows 11 Victus Laptop: Tried to use laptop today for only 4th time. It won’t connect to WiFi, it doesn’t even show WiFi as an option. The bottom right only shows a planet with a line through it. When I open network & internet settings it shows me I am not connect and gives me Ethernet options. I...
  4. Laptop can't connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop can't connect to WiFi: Hi! I slept for 4 hours and left my laptop on sleep. After I wake up, I open it and the laptop can't connect to the internet anymore.The solutions provided within...
  5. My brand new bluetooth headphones can't connect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My brand new bluetooth headphones can't connect: I paired the Bluetooth headphones but could not connect. After a ling struggle, it connected once and the sound was very distorted. I checked for driver update but it was up to date. I turned on the Bluetooth services but could not Bluetooth user support to automatic. It said...
  6. "Unable to Connect" to my home WiFi on brand new Surface

"Unable to Connect" to my home WiFi on brand new Surface: Another ghostly Windows issue for one of my clients. They recently got a brand new Surface. The computer seems to work on every single Wi-Fi network known to man except the one in their home. The network is made up of a series of Araknis Wi-Fi access points. Every...
  7. Can't connect to WiFi on laptop

Can't connect to WiFi on laptop: Hello! I am student at university and am having trouble connecting to the WiFi from my laptop (my phone connects just fine). Every time i try to connect, it either: 1) Says "Can't connect to this network" 2)Takes forever trying to connect but doesn't actually connect; when...
  8. New acer laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New acer laptop: I have a new laptop and I keep getting error messages telling me to update to wjndows10, I should imagine that I have windows 10. and the system keeps blocking me from entering writing .com where I have been a member for four years . I'm 79 and what I kow about copuuters...
  9. Acer Laptop doesn't stay connected to the WiFi

Acer Laptop doesn't stay connected to the WiFi: I've had my laptop for a couple of years and this only became a problem a few months ago. My laptop absolutely refuses to just stay on the WiFi, and it's incredibly infuriating. I can't download anything without my laptop deciding not to cooperate. The troubleshooter only...
  10. Brand New laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brand New laptop: After loading MS office 365 and down loading updates. I restarted my lap top as required and now all it states is "PREPAREING AUTOMATIC REPAIR." Tis is a brand NEW LAPTOP, ??? What is up with this ....