Windows 10: Brand New HP Elite 800 i7700 8GB 512GB SSD Win10 1709 failure.

Discus and support Brand New HP Elite 800 i7700 8GB 512GB SSD Win10 1709 failure. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Help! Brand new (received this week) computer for my parents with nothing else installed and Win10 update has serious issues. Horribly slow to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NotRealHappy, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Brand New HP Elite 800 i7700 8GB 512GB SSD Win10 1709 failure.

Help!

Brand new (received this week) computer for my parents with nothing else installed and Win10 update has serious issues. Horribly slow to download 1709. Then it fails to install.

HP Elite 800 i7700T 2.90 GHz 8GB 512GB SSD
    Monitor keyboard & mouse only hardware attached
    NO additional software installed.
    Win10 Pro x64

Fios interweb connection

Hooked it up and seemed ok. Before doing anything else, went to update Win10
    Brand New HP Elite 800 i7700 8GB 512GB SSD Win10 1709 failure. [​IMG]

1709 "Feature update" took over a day to download. It would sit for hours at a fixed "downloading update" percentages.

Finally finished downloading this AM.

The installation failed.

Grrrrr.

Now we're trying again to download and it's been stuck at 18% for over an hour.

Internet still works, but not as snappy as it was. Yesterday during update attempt #1, it was taking minutes for pages to load (like Googles home page)

Before proceeding beyond trying anything besides download attempt #2, is there a consensus on how to proceed?

Should I terminate the 1709 download attempt and, if so, is there a way to stop Win 10 from automatically doing it?

Want to get the most stable system before proceeding with installing any software.

Much obliged.

:)

NotRealHappy, Jan 25, 2018
  2. ji3patel Win User

Unable to get Retail version of Win10 Pro working on New PC build

Andre,

I think you are referring to your post on groovypost.com. I am running barebones setup (Motherboard, CPU, 8GB 1stick RAM, Samsung EVO 850 120GB SSD with EVGA 650 GS PSU).

I tried swapping the RAM stick with 3 other brand new 8GB sticks. Also tried swapping the Samsung SSD with brand new 1TB WD Black HDD.

And got a replacement motherboard from ASRock thinking it's a bad motherboard. Still, I can't get the Win10 Pro to work.

The only thing left now for me to try is -

a) Replace the Intel i7-4790K CPU

b) Get a new copy Win10

I have come to believe that it is Win10 issue not a hardware issue.

Remember, I am doing a clean install with "Custom Install" option with a clean slate (no partitions) SSD, Fast boot option turned OFF in UEFI.

ji3patel, Jan 25, 2018
  3. Jump007 Win User
    Windows Creator Fall Update (1709) Causes BSOD During PC bootup and Sometimes After Login Is Made

Hi Rey, Thanks for the quick reply.

No, I am not aiming to revert back, I am just annoyed that Microsoft frequently updates the OS, takes up space and then the system starts to crash. Reverting to a previous update is not a problem, but the 1709 release is a complete new release (and Windows.old
    was already deleted).

Since then, other issues have popped up.

I have posted another question on the Microsoft Community: "Windows 10 creator release 1709 Surface Pro 3 power and volume button not working, long startup (blanc screen) in tablet mode".

Regards

Udo

(Surface Pro 3 8GB, 512GB SSD).

Jump007, Jan 25, 2018
  4. Brand New HP Elite 800 i7700 8GB 512GB SSD Win10 1709 failure.

Read some responses to MS explanation of 1709 "benefits"

What's new in Windows 10, version 1709 | Microsoft Docs

Commenters on that thread seem universally perturbed, although happy people are usually less likely to comment. Accordingly, have paused the update process until I get a better feel as to how I should proceed (advice is very, very welcomed! *Smile

Does 1709 offer any usable benefits for the casual user? This computer will be used for email, web surfing, office programs and other basic stuff. No gaming or CAD.

Should I suspend all updates until a 1709 replacement arrives? Can future security updates be installed without installing 1709?

Thanks again!

5. EdTittel Win User
    Did you make a backup/image backup of the machine before you started updating? If so, you can use that later on to get stuff that might be missing from the clean install that I recommend you do next, starting with wiping the hard disk/SSD from which the laptop boots and letting Windows rebuild itself from scratch. 1709 works just fine on 6 of my 8 computers, so unless they are specific issues for your target laptop, I don't believe you should have any problems getting this to work.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 25, 2018
  6. Hi Ed,

No, I did not make a backup before starting the updates. With what I have shown on the screenshot above, is it still possible to do so? Is there a rough estimate of how big a pure backup would be? (Need to know if I need a bigger USB memory stick. At least it's USB 3.0)

I'm not at that computer at the moment, but think storage space used was currently ~60GB on C: and ~15-17GB or thereabouts on D:

I did nothing beyond hooking it up to monitor, keyboard, mouse and internet, and immediately going to Windows Update.

I bought the HP Elite as I thought a business oriented machine would be more stable than some home-oriented one with a lot of superfluous stuff. I didn't check the C: drive before starting, is 60GB the usual size for a new Win10 machine, or is that bloat added from this "feature" update?

Thanks again for your advice *Smile

ETA: it's a compact desktop rather than laptop: (256GB not 512GB of SSD, so not crazy about the OS eating up a quarter of the drive)

HP 800 G3

Manufacturer # 1FY79UT#ABA

Brand New HP Elite 800 i7700 8GB 512GB SSD Win10 1709 failure. [​IMG]

Highlights

• 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7-7700T Quad-Core
    • 8GB of 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM
    • Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630
    • 256GB Turbo Drive G2 M.2 PCIe SSD
    • 1 x Gigabit Ethernet Port
    • 802.11ac Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 4.2
    • 1 x USB 3.0 Type-C | 6 x USB 3.0 Type-A
    • 3 x DisplayPort
    • USB Wired Keyboard & Mouse Included
    • Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)
    From the description @ B&H

"The installed operating system is Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), and also included is Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) recovery media."

So I'm guessing D: is the recovery media?

7. EdTittel Win User
    If you've not installed many extra apps, I don't see how the image to be captured could be bigger than 20 GB, so a 32 GB UFD (USB Flash Drive) should be good enough. My advice, however, would be to simply perform a clean install, so you'd need an 8GB UFD to create a bootable installer to handle that chore. Let us know if you need help getting all this stuff sorted. It's easy to handle these tasks if you've done them before; not so much if you need to start from a blank slate.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 25, 2018
  8. Brand New HP Elite 800 i7700 8GB 512GB SSD Win10 1709 failure.

Hi Ed,

If I've done it before, I've forgotten *Biggrin (I think I just found my sig line)

Just turned 60 and can't remember how to do a lot of stuff, so if there's a simple how-to step by step thread or youtube video you could point me to that would be great.

I have a couple of laptops which seem to have digested the Win10 updates without issue, which makes hiccups with a brand-new (and more powerful) machine rather baffling. But I am easily baffled... *Party

NotRealHappy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Brand New HP Elite 800 i7700 8GB 512GB SSD Win10 1709 failure.

1. Brand New HP Elite 800 i7700 8GB 512GB SSD Win10 1709 failure. - Similar Threads - Brand Elite 800

2. Update laptop with brand new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update laptop with brand new SSD: Hello.I have a laptop with Windows 8. I want to upgrade the device with a brand new SSD, but I would like to know two things:1. Is it possible to use my Windows 8 license to install Windows in this SSD? I have the key in an official Dell/ Microsoft document that came with the...
  3. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure: HI.My daughters Laptop is approx. 10 year old that was pre-installed with Win7, over the years the upgrade path has left the laptop with Windows 10.The HDD is now starting to fail with large numbers of bad sectors. The laptop is close to unusable, but i have managed to save...
  4. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure: HI.My daughters Laptop is approx. 10 year old that was pre-installed with Win7, over the years the upgrade path has left the laptop with Windows 10.The HDD is now starting to fail with large numbers of bad sectors. The laptop is close to unusable, but i have managed to save...
  5. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. HP SSD failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP SSD failure: I just saw this article and thought it was worth throwing out here. Seems like it might be important, but I don’t know how much these particular devices used by this community. Apologies if this is old, or irrelevant, news. An enterprise SSD flaw will brick hardware after...
  7. Brand new SSD not working?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brand new SSD not working?: I just got a brand new SSD Kingston 240 GB SSD. Installed Windows 10 on it. Restarted the PC and it wouldn't boot, no operating system found. I went into Windows installation once again and I see the SSD being shown as an 2 TB drive with 0 MB free. What is going on? This...
  8. Hp elite book

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hp elite book: my hp elite book keeps shutting down since i updated it last week it goes to a blue screen with a box on it that you could scan with your phone if you have the right app. no error codes does any one know what app to use or know of a fix. ive all so had sound problems were ive...
  9. boot failure new everything wd ssd win10 pro

boot failure new everything wd ssd win10 pro: installed three times formatted ssd each time to be sure it was clean. Each time it installs fine restarts does updates then when all done it wont boot, no asus screen. I've tried a different ssd and it boots perfect. the wdssd also works on other computers. Maybe I need to...
  10. boot failure new everything wd ssd win10 pro

boot failure new everything wd ssd win10 pro: installed three times formatted ssd each time to be sure it was clean. Each time it installs fine restarts does updates then when all done it wont boot, no asus screen. I've tried a different ssd and it boots perfect. the wdssd also works on other computers. Maybe I need to...