Windows 10: Brand new laptop won't load Windows after 'bloatware' removal

Discus and support Brand new laptop won't load Windows after 'bloatware' removal in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, My girlfriend recently (like, yesterday) purchased a new ASUS Zenbook 305, 8gb RAM with Windows 10. I believe it's the one that's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bogski, Mar 7, 2017.

1. bogski Win User

Brand new laptop won't load Windows after 'bloatware' removal

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend recently (like, yesterday) purchased a new ASUS Zenbook 305, 8gb RAM with Windows 10. I believe it's the one that's available here.

It started fine, but she asked me to clean it up (get rid of the bloatware on Windows 10 etc). I downloaded CCleaner, Chrome, Google Drive and Spotify, then proceeded to use CCleaner to:

1. Remove (using the uninstall tool) what i assumed was bloatware (various apps including Mail and Calendar, Booking.com, Alarms, CandyCrush etc). I checked online before removing things to ensure, as far as I could tell, that they weren't necessary.

2. Run a system analysis and subsequent clean. During this I ticked ALL of the 'Advanced' boxes in CCleaner too.

This all went fine at the time - only took a few minutes. However, when I went to restart the computer later it wouldn't get past the black screen with the circle of rotating dots when rebooting.

It seems to go to sleep after 15 minutes or so or this screen, after which I need to hold down the power button to turn it off in order to get it to try again.

Do I simply need to carry on waiting, and ensure it doesn't put itself to sleep by wiggling the trackpad often enough, or have I potentially done something damaging?

Thanks
    Chris

:)

bogski, Mar 7, 2017

2. explorer.exe does not work in windows 10 on boot

The cite was only intended to provide an analogy. It could still happen in W10. A "brand new laptop" is typically loaded with "bloatware", probably first designed and packaged before current OS maintenance had to start disabling and changing functionality
    in order to deal with "exploits". So, your best bet would be to go to the manufacturer of your "brand new laptop" for support.

Good luck

Robert

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Mar 7, 2017
  3. JeffYuhas Win User
    Windows 10 Installation Upgrade FAIL

I have now successful done four other Windows 10 upgrades on Desktops, laptop, and Surface. I find it amazing that I still can't successfully perform the Windows 10 upgrade install on my son's
    brand new Windows 8.1 laptop even after removing all bloatware programs and applets and removing any programs that are not essential. I still get the same Windows Update error. It is now more challenging as he is off to university in Europe.
    There has to be a way or trick or technique to complete this without having to do a clean install on a brand new computer. Other people have to be having this experience as well.

Jeff

JeffYuhas, Mar 7, 2017
  4. fireberd Win User

You've apparently bricked the machine. It will most likely require recovery back to the original factory image. Check ASUS for info on restoring (if possible).

Best suggestion is not to use CCleaner as you have to remove what you consider bloatware. Just uninstall using the built in Windows uninstaller for anything you don't want - much safer. The built in mail app and calendar app for example are not "bloatware".

fireberd, Mar 7, 2017
  5. dencal Win User
    Try holding down the power button when starting, then turn off holding down the power button if not offered a recovery option.
    You might need to repeat this several times before it brings up the options.

dencal, Mar 7, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    Look on the ASUS site and locate and read the user manual which should detail how to do a factory restore.

Mooly, Mar 7, 2017
  7. The bloatware programs of any ASUS laptops are listed here in the link below. It's also got a nice program to tell you which to remove and which you shouldn't and also the ability to choose which you want to remove or not.

ASUS Bloatware - Should I Remove It?

You should be careful though, you might end up bricking the system again after recovery.

You can also use PC Decrapifier to scan bloatware off your system and does the same thing.

RoasterMen, Mar 7, 2017
  8. bogski Win User

Thanks for your replies.
    I didn't remove ANY of those programs - it was more the Windows 10 bloatware that I got rid of.

I've had a look at how to do a factory restore but can't see how to do it if you can't log in to Windows. Does anyone have a suggestion?

bogski, Mar 7, 2017
  9. bogski Win User
    Thanks Fireberd. So the computer is fixable, but will require a full reset which needs to be done by a pro, is that correct?

Chris

bogski, Mar 7, 2017
  10. fireberd Win User
    As I noted (I haven't looked at the site) the ASUS site should have information on how to do a restore (should be a partition on the hard drive). It should be doable by the user and not require taking it to a repair shop. If you can't figure it out, call ASUS support and if there is a recovery available on the hard drive ASUS support should be able to talk you through the procedure.

PC Decrapifier is a free program to help remove bloatware. Probably better (and safer) than the way you originally did it.
    The PC Decrapifier

fireberd, Mar 7, 2017
  11. I do believe it was press F9 during boot up on my ASUS Laptop. My factory install is long gone now though.

alphanumeric, Mar 7, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    According to the Asus manual...
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/..._UX305CA_A.pdf
    ... there is no F9 factory reset for models supplied with Windows 10. It used to be the practice for Win7 to have a separate recovery partition to hold the factory image, restored by OEM recovery software launched from a function key at boot up.

Since Win10 OEMs tend to rely on the native Win10 recovery options, which can be customised by the OEM to include their own utilities and drivers to perform a true factory reset. From the Asus Manual:

The second option 'Remove everything' would be the one to go for. The problem with this 'bricked' PC would be getting it to boot to advanced recovery. The only way would seem to be the 'Hard Reset' method - turn on, while it's booting press and hold the power button until it kills the power. Repeat. The third or fourth time it should boot into repair mode. This method is described in Option Six in this Tutorial.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option6

13. bogski Win User

Thanks Bree! Will give this a go when I get home to my machine. Fingers crossed because my girlfriend's going to go mental if I can't work this out.

bogski, Mar 7, 2017
  14. dencal Win User
    Suggested this in post #3...you obviously missed it.

dencal, Mar 7, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    I blame the oversight on blind panic at the thought of the 'girlfriend trouble' to come... *Smile

Thema:

1. Brand new laptop won't load Windows after 'bloatware' removal - Similar Threads - Brand laptop won't

2. Bloatware Removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bloatware Removal: Hello,Recently with the latest builds of both Windows 10 and Windows 11 we have found that the Solitaire and other bloatware programs are not being removed properly. I was wondering if there was a way to easily remove the bloatware and any tips from those who have removed the...
  3. Bloatware Removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bloatware Removal: Hello,Recently with the latest builds of both Windows 10 and Windows 11 we have found that the Solitaire and other bloatware programs are not being removed properly. I was wondering if there was a way to easily remove the bloatware and any tips from those who have removed the...
  4. Bloatware removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bloatware removal: what programs can I uninstall safely from my HP desktop computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bloatware-removal/b5090ebc-9ca7-4c50-9b94-c94367859558
  5. Bloatware removal

Bloatware removal: what programs can I uninstall safely from my HP desktop computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bloatware-removal/b5090ebc-9ca7-4c50-9b94-c94367859558
  6. Removing Bloatware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing Bloatware: Hi I have just bought a new laptop and want to remove Bloatware. What is the best method? I have heard resetting the PC and removing everything is the best way and then using Revo uninstaller after that? However, will I need to do anything else? I have seen people say...
  7. Removing Bloatware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing Bloatware: Hi, I recently got a new MSI gaming laptop, but all of the Bloatware is annoying. I'd rather not have Candy Crush on my computer, or LinkedIn. Any system/script that can allow me to remove this annoying Bloatware? Thanks! submitted by /u/MrColby [link] [comments]...
  8. Bloatware on new HP laptop

Bloatware on new HP laptop: I just bought a new HP ProBook laptop which has the following bloatware installed: HP Client Security Manager HP Connection Manager HP Sure Click HP Notifications HP Support Assist I’m inclined to remove all except Support Assist unless anyone can advise me any of the rest...
  9. Brand New laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brand New laptop: After loading MS office 365 and down loading updates. I restarted my lap top as required and now all it states is "PREPAREING AUTOMATIC REPAIR." Tis is a brand NEW LAPTOP, ??? What is up with this ....
  10. Removing bloatware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Removing bloatware: Can I run the Power Shell line: "C:\Windows\System32>get-appxpackage *3dbuilder* | remove-appxpackage" from a .Bat file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-bloatware/0efd9413-0bcf-41a6-a22b-9139929c0f67