Windows 10: Brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - can't create a Recovery Drive!?!

Discus and support Brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - can't create a Recovery Drive!?! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just bought myself a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. After switching it on and going through the initial setup, one of the first actions I want to do is to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mmo, Jul 9, 2016.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - can't create a Recovery Drive!?!

I just bought myself a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. After switching it on and going through the initial setup, one of the first actions I want to do is to create me a recovery drive (on a USB stick).

So I start the Recovery Drive wizard but after a minute or so of "Please wait..." I get:
    "We can't create the recovery drive
    A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive"

*Sad Hallo, Microsoft? WTF is this supposed to mean? Why can't I create me such a safety net on a brand new plain vanilla SP4? I haven't done or installed anything, yet, that could possible interfere with that process. So why is this not working as one would expect?

And why is there not the slightest hint WHY this is not working or what kind of error occurred here and what one could possibly do to fix this?

:)

2. Windows 10 factory reset error "Something Went Wrong" after selecting Language, Keyboard and Language.

I would reattempt reinstallation using Recover from Cloud:

Use Recover from the Cloud to Reinstall Windows 10 on Surface Book or Surface Pro

If that does not work, download the latest Surface Pro 4 recovery image for Windows 10 Creators Update, create a bootable copy, then use that to reinstall Windows 10:

Creating and using a USB recovery drive - Microsoft

Andre Da Costa, Jul 9, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 9, 2016
  4. derek10 Win User

I hate those generic error messages without any explanation or error code *Devil

Meanwhile, did you try another USB drive just in case?

derek10, Jul 9, 2016
  5. dencal Win User
    dencal, Jul 9, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    mmo.
    Important....you must format your USB stick to FAT 32 before installing a recovery.

dencal, Jul 9, 2016
  7. MMO
    mmo Win User
    I did so after googling on that subject but that didn't help. The process then continues and shows the drive. I select it and click Next and then it endlessly hangs. I killed it after ~2.5 hrs. because IMHO it can't possibly take that long to write those files onto the stick.

Re. your response: That's e.g. one of those things that I would expect as part of the error msg. that it clearly states: "need a FAT32-formated stick" (or similar) not just "an error occurred...".

Thema:

1. Brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - can't create a Recovery Drive!?! - Similar Threads - Brand Microsoft Surface

2. We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.: When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive. App comes up no problem but after checking my system for...
  3. We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We can't create a recovery drive when trying to create a NEW recovery drive.: When I created my recovery drive the only drive available with the necessary space available was a removable hard drive. I ordered a new flash drive that was big enough and today I tried to create a new recovery drive. App comes up no problem but after checking my system for...
  4. Microsoft Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Surface Pro 4: I have a Surface Pro 4, that got screwed up during a windows update. Now the device can no longer see the internal hard drive. I have tried the usual things. Like using Diskpart etc, the device can no longer see the internal hard drive. I believe this to be a known issue. Has...
  5. Surface Pro 4 - Recovery not possible

Surface Pro 4 - Recovery not possible: Hello Community, Here's my problem: I have a Surface Pro 4 (i7,8gb ram, 256gb ssd) and experienced the well-known battery issue (battery was not loading when plugged in). I tried every possible solution i found, nothing worked. So my last hope was a fresh install using a...
  6. Surface Pro 4 recovery from USB

Surface Pro 4 recovery from USB: My surface is stuck in a permanent boot to UEFI and I am attempting to reset from a recovery drive. I have followed the instructions for creating a USB recovery drive from a Windows 10 PC. Brand new scandisk 16GB usb. Copied the appropriate Surface Pro 4 files from the...
  7. Surface PRO 4. Brand new out of the box. BSOD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface PRO 4. Brand new out of the box. BSOD.: Attachment 77085 I will update this thread soon. I just don't want it to crash before submitting post. Brand new Surface PRO 4. I am using the surface dock as well. I opened it during the April 19-20 firmware updates for the Surfaces. Then it started updating and it threw...
  8. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create recovery drive: I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update. I want to create a new recovery drive but when I get to the window that says "Connect a USB Flash Drive" and the process comes to a dead stop. -I'm using the same 16GB thumb...
  9. Can't create Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create Recovery Drive: Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case. In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter. UAC popped up and I replied. The first recovery screen popped up. I accepted defaults on screen and selected Next. Next screen...
  10. Brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - SFC claims corrupted files ||-(

Brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - SFC claims corrupted files ||-(: One of the steps to fix the "Can't create recovery medium" is to check for system file corruption. Just out of curiosity I ran an SFC /SCANNOW and it reported "Windows Resource Protection found corrupted files but was unable to fix some of them. ..." If SFC doesn't run...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fix microsoft surface book can not create recovery drive

2. cannot create recovery drive for brand new microsoft surface laptop