Windows 10: Brand new WIN 10 user

Discus and support Brand new WIN 10 user in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My old operating system is XP3 and I never used anything else until I bought a brand new Envy with WIN 10 installed. I'm taking it one small step at a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oldgeezett, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Brand new WIN 10 user

My old operating system is XP3 and I never used anything else until I bought a brand new Envy with WIN 10 installed. I'm taking it one small step at a time. Recently I installed my first program, CCleaner. Now I can't find the program. I guess WIN 10 doesn't put icons on your desktop? So, where is it? *sarc

:)

oldgeezett, Jul 23, 2016

2. Windows 10 (Windows Media Player 12) will not support AVCHD format (or .mts) video files

I have a Sony WX-350; I recorded many videos with it. When opening them on my new Windows 10 laptop with Windows Media Player 12, it will not open files with the extension .mts which is an AVCHD video format. Why is there no Codec installed? Does windows
    have an approved codec for this?

I don't want to go to a sketchy 3rd party site and get my new machine all buggered up.... anyone else solve this?

Thanks

New win 10 user, Jul 23, 2016
  3. Windows 10 changing automatically local account to Microsoft account after login Office

Hi,

Thanks for answering.

At this time I haven't done anything. I just setup a new Win 10 installation and I created a new local user. My concern is if I try to use Office (login for access onedrive content from OneNote or Word for instance), my local "user" account would be changed
    into a Microsoft account automatically, since it happened in a former Win 10 experience I had. So:

1. Are you connected to a Domain?

NO

2. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

NO. Brand new Win 10.

Carlos.Cadux, Jul 23, 2016
  4. Brand new WIN 10 user

Should be able to find it in your start menu.

cyberrufus, Jul 23, 2016
  5. essenbe Win User
    If you click on the Start Flag in the bottom left then click All Apps, you should be able to find any program you have installed.

essenbe, Jul 23, 2016
  6. strollin Win User
    Win 10 still has the ability to have icons on the desktop. It's not the OS that does that, it's the program's installer that does that.

Even if there's no icon on the desktop, it should be easy to find, click on the Start menu and then "All apps", it should be listed there.

You can also use the search function, I typed "cc" in the search field on my computer and it found ccleaner instantly.

strollin, Jul 23, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    You might want to install Classic Shell then you can have a start menu which looks like XP. See Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements. Configure CS so mouse hover on the Start Button opens the Classic Shell start menu and left click on the Start Button opens the Windows 10 Start menu - you then have the best of both worlds *Smile. You have full control to move program icons around in Classic Shell.

I also like to use Autoruns to disable unwanted startup programs, services and tasks - see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/.../bb963902.aspx

Steve C, Jul 23, 2016
  8. Brand new WIN 10 user

I guess we are all creatures of habit. I am missing my ability to do most things without even thinking about it. Eventually I'll get in the groove.*Huh

Eventually I'm probably going to install that Outlook Express copycat program and move over all my emails. And "maybe" the old start menu. Plus all my TurboTax files.

oldgeezett, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Brand new WIN 10 user

1. Brand new WIN 10 user - Similar Threads - Brand user

2. Authentic OEM Windows 10 Pro key deactivated next day after installation on a brand new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Authentic OEM Windows 10 Pro key deactivated next day after installation on a brand new...: I just installed windows from an OEM Windows 10 pro 64bit Eng Intl 1pk DSP ver.1909 system builder "kit" I bought back in 2019 but never used. Build date on it is 10/27/2019. It has an Part # code and COA barcode. With red seal that had to be broken to open it. Inside is the...
  3. Authentic OEM Windows 10 Pro key deactivated next day after installation on a brand new...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Authentic OEM Windows 10 Pro key deactivated next day after installation on a brand new...: I just installed windows from an OEM Windows 10 pro 64bit Eng Intl 1pk DSP ver.1909 system builder "kit" I bought back in 2019 but never used. Build date on it is 10/27/2019. It has an Part # code and COA barcode. With red seal that had to be broken to open it. Inside is the...
  4. Authentic OEM Windows 10 Pro key deactivated next day after installation on a brand new...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Blue screen errors that occur frequently on a brand new Msi Katana 17 B12V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen errors that occur frequently on a brand new Msi Katana 17 B12V: Hello,I've been having reoccurring blue screen errors on my computer and I think that they are caused by my integrated Intel graphics. Whenever i use discord and play a video directly from discord or that i watch a screen share or that a camera is open my computer will just...
  6. Blue screen errors that occur frequently on a brand new Msi Katana 17 B12V

Blue screen errors that occur frequently on a brand new Msi Katana 17 B12V: Hello,I've been having reoccurring blue screen errors on my computer and I think that they are caused by my integrated Intel graphics. Whenever i use discord and play a video directly from discord or that i watch a screen share or that a camera is open my computer will just...
  7. My download Address on Windows 11 is a user that doesn't exist at all on this brand new PC,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My download Address on Windows 11 is a user that doesn't exist at all on this brand new PC,...: C:\Users\michael.alexsonshk\Desktop\ARAC LIK Command Policy - 20190317\LIK Policy.oxpsThe user above doesn't exist. There isn't a folder with the name. This PC is 100% factory loaded. Windows 11 preinstalled and that is it. Who the heck is that person? Why is it that when I...
  8. My download Address on Windows 11 is a user that doesn't exist at all on this brand new PC,...

My download Address on Windows 11 is a user that doesn't exist at all on this brand new PC,...: C:\Users\michael.alexsonshk\Desktop\ARAC LIK Command Policy - 20190317\LIK Policy.oxpsThe user above doesn't exist. There isn't a folder with the name. This PC is 100% factory loaded. Windows 11 preinstalled and that is it. Who the heck is that person? Why is it that when I...
  9. Macrium Reflex brand new user - totally confused

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflex brand new user - totally confused: After having a dead computer, I'm trying to set up my new one correctly. Seems like everyone loves Macrium, so I downloaded their free version. I also watched on-line tutorials and read lots of posts about it, but I'm way past confused at this point. All I was trying to do to...
  10. A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User

in Windows 10 Support
    A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User: Hello, Thanks for previous help. Sure is a lot to know. Blame it on old age now. A few questions, please: a. How can I have the PC, when it is shut off entirely, also shut off the Monitor (entirely) ? b. When not using overnight, is it "better" to let the PC go...