Windows 10: Brightness options completely missing

Discus and support Brightness options completely missing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Pavilion g6 2359 which usually is installed from recovery. Since I wanted to do clean Win10 install I chose to install from USB instead,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ScothMcBeast, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Brightness options completely missing

I have a Pavilion g6 2359 which usually is installed from recovery. Since I wanted to do clean Win10 install I chose to install from USB instead, missing all automated drivers ect from recovery.

One thing that is really bothering me is I cannot adjust the brightness.

Speculation on possible reason, the pc regognises the display as "generic pnp..."

Tried:
    -Fn+f2/f3, doesn't work. Fn+f9-f11 do work (changes volume settings).
    -Display settings (desktop+right button) - the brightness bar completely missing and nowhere to be found in advanced either.
    -Power management settings - same deal, no brightness related setting anywhere to be found.
    -Windows search - typing in "bright" gives 0 matches.

Thus far:
    -Googled for help, not found.
    -Installed intel driver uptade utility, worked it, no solution
    -Installed HP support assistant and let it do all it wanted (it installed new card drivers for display adapter for one) but didn't help
    -Tried to find suitable drivers manually from hp site and in internet, no luck. I'm looking for "display drivers" right? Not "display adapter drivers"?
    -From Device Manager tried to let it find drivers on the display in the net, no results. The driver is up to date apparently.

I'm at a loss. Ty for any hints you can give me...

:)

ScothMcBeast, Jun 7, 2017

2. LAST WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE MADE MY COMPUTER SCREEN GO DARK. PLEASE HELP

So right now is your brightness option missing entirely, or is it there but non-functional?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jun 7, 2017
  3. jolic Win User
    No brightness control after Windows 10 update a year later!

Both monitor and software. I have an all in one touch screen Pavillion 23. I have tried the Windows 10 on screen option on the bottom right of screen that pulls up tiles to the screen, but the brightness tile is missing. Also- if I go to control panel
    and choose display, the brightness "slide" is missing from the bottom half of screen. My monitor and my keyboard both do not have brightness options/buttons on them.

jolic, Jun 7, 2017
  4. Brightness options completely missing

Hi ScothMcBeast

I think you are looking for Display Adapter Driver, basically the graphics card, which tells the screen what to do.

I would do as you are doing, find an older driver. If this does not yield results might even be worth unplugging, remove battery, hold power button down 20 secs, wait a couple of minutes, reassemble and test.

If things start to work note driver version. If things then stop working, say in a day or two, recheck driver version. If it has been updated you will have to stop Windows from updating drivers.

Caledon Ken, Jun 7, 2017
  5. I rolled the driver by installing catalyst manager 8.00.xxxx and with it a driver which was released fall 2014 (14.xxxxx opposed to the last 15.xxxxx). Checked from device manager that the display adapter drived is indeed rolled to 14.xxxxx. No help even after restart. I tried the Fn buttons and also looked from the usual places for brigthness bar, no.

I shut down the notebook again, removed power cord & batt, held power button for approx 30sec. Waited 3-4 mins. Restarted after assembly and again no luck. The display adapter driver remains 14.xxxxx.

6. Brightness options completely missing [​IMG]

7. lmaneke Win User
    Your keyboard functions are actually enabled after installing the HP software that will allow those functions to work. I'm not sure what program it is, since I haven't had an HP laptop in a long time.

lmaneke, Jun 7, 2017
  8. lmaneke Win User

Brightness options completely missing

That is odd that the HP support assistant didn't find the drivers for it, and I'm shocked the built in brightness features aren't working for you.

There are no brightness options in power options?

lmaneke, Jun 7, 2017
  9. No there are not. I'm no expert on this but "feels" like if I can get the system regocnize the display I'd had a chance to get this problem solved. Is that assumption way off?
    I can get some more screenshots in few hours of the missing brightness bars if it helps *Smile

Brightness options completely missing [​IMG]

Brightness options completely missing [​IMG]

10. I opened the amd catalyst center and found some brightness (among other color ect rulers) there which actually do influence the display brightness so I guess I could deal with it that way always but I'd rather have it working the right (quicker) way.

ScothMcBeast, Jun 8, 2017
  11. In Post 4 of this thread your device manager shows two display adapters drivers. I wonder if there is a conflict.

Assuming you have a system Image that will quickly let you restore I would delete the first 7600 Series adapter leaving the one with Dual Graphics installed.

If you don't have an Image either create one or proceed with caution.

Caledon Ken, Jun 8, 2017
  12. Don't know much about that, can try find out. BUT I do know that device manager has always displayed 2 cards from the get go. Meaning since the store and every recovery I've done.

ScothMcBeast, Jun 10, 2017
  13. Brightness options completely missing

Before doing then maybe make an Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect. I wonder why two?

Now I would never push anyone away from the forum but have you checked the HP site. You may be an earlier adopter for the Creators update but I would think other owners would be running into the same issue as you.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Brightness options completely missing

1. Brightness options completely missing - Similar Threads - Brightness options completely

2. Adaptive brightness option is missing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adaptive brightness option is missing.: Hi. I have an issue with my laptop's adaptive brightness feature. When I use my laptop and open a notepad in light mode, the brightness becomes too high. However, when I open a software with dark mode, the brightness turns too dark as well. I've seen the same question, but I...
  3. Adaptive brightness option is missing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adaptive brightness option is missing.: Hi. I have an issue with my laptop's adaptive brightness feature. When I use my laptop and open a notepad in light mode, the brightness becomes too high. However, when I open a software with dark mode, the brightness turns too dark as well. I've seen the same question, but I...
  4. Adaptive brightness option is missing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Regarding missing adaptive brightness option

Regarding missing adaptive brightness option: Hey there! My adaptive brightness is turned on automatically after my updates. But right now the option to turn off/on the adaptive brightness in both the settings and control panel has disappeared. May I know what to do abou this?...
  6. Brightness Option missing

Brightness Option missing: Hello my brightness option is missing .. I have no brightness option is System > display and my physical buttons is also not helpful .. Tried solutions- 1 Reboot 2 reinstalling display driver 3 3rd party app And none of them work .. nothing is working Please...
  7. Missing adaptive brightness option

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing adaptive brightness option: I have an HP Laptop Probook 450 G5. It got Intel 620 UHD graphics and Nvidia 930MX. I am currently running Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.778 on my laptop. My issue is when play any video in full screen on Microsoft Edge, it automatically increases the brightness to max, and...
  8. Adjust Brightness option is missing

Adjust Brightness option is missing: Windows brightness option was working till last month and now it is not showing, when i right click on power icon on right bottom it shows only power options and Windows Mobility Center. Driver for Display Adapter is already installed and working. Where do i find that option...
  9. Windows 10 Brightness Option Missing

Windows 10 Brightness Option Missing: Hello Guys, on my PC with latest windows (May Update) fresh install the brightness control is completely missing from any settings. I've tried to reinstall different graphics drivers, but nothing seems to work. Is there anything you can advise? Cheers! Steven...
  10. Windows 10: Brightness Options Missing?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10: Brightness Options Missing?: Hi all, I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out with an issue I am facing with the brightness options in Windows 10 Pro. I've owned this laptop for around 5 months now, and I've always been able to change the brightness on it as and when i please using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. brightness completely missing of the computer