Windows 10: Bring back the Windows 8 Start Screen?

Discus and support Bring back the Windows 8 Start Screen? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The Start Screen in Windows 8.1 is a masterpiece with its horisontal scroll and simplistic grouping. The Start Screen in Windows 10 is a mess with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gustav, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Gustav Win User

Bring back the Windows 8 Start Screen?

The Start Screen in Windows 8.1 is a masterpiece with its horisontal scroll and simplistic grouping.

The Start Screen in Windows 10 is a mess with the mix of a Windows 7 style Start Menu and the vertical scroll of the tiles.

Would there be any way to bring the Windows 8 Start Screen to Windows 10 as in the early builds?
    I don't need any fancy additional features, just the Windows 8 Start Screen style and behaviour.

:)

Gustav, Jul 20, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Bring back the classic start menu!

I did a detail-by-detail comparison of the Windows 7 Start menu and the Windows 10 Start menu and found them virtually identical in
    functionality - by that I mean they do virtually all the same tasks. They just look different.

Almost all of the functionality that Windows 10 appears to be missing can be added back. For example, you can pin Control Panel and Help and Support to Start as tiles. You can add folders to All apps.

There are few clear differences. Favorites is not there because Microsoft has dropped that feature and replaced it by Quick Access. There's no longer a link in the Start menu for This PC but that was redundant anyway, since File Explorer gets you to the
    same place.

In my case, I don't like the way the new Start menu looks and I don't like that I have to make changes to make it work like the Windows 7 Start menu. So I gave Stardock five bucks for Start10 and I'm very happy.

The Windows 10 Start menu is not going away and it's never going to look like Windows 7. So get over it. Either learn to like it or get a Start menu replacement and move on.

BulldogXX, Jul 20, 2015
  3. Bring back the classic start menu!

searching for apps we've installed is a pointless task we need to see them no search

CocteauTwins, Jul 20, 2015
  4. Bring back the Windows 8 Start Screen?

Not seen anyway to do this, best hope is that a 3rd party developer does something for this after 10 is released

Would love to have the 8 style start screen back, especially for touch/tablet use

paulsalter, Jul 20, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    You can make use of the full start screen option for the start menu and it's quite similar to the WIn8 Start Screen.

Jeff...

BunnyJ, Jul 20, 2015
  6. Gustav Win User
    Jeff, please read my question again.

Gustav, Jul 20, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Just giving you an option. Brink tried to come up with a registry hack to bring back the start screen like Win8. It worked early on but when MS changed the method for coding the start menu for WIn10 the hack no longer worked and I highly doubt that anyone will be able to come up with a version of the Win8 start menu again.

BunnyJ, Jul 20, 2015
  8. Bring back the Windows 8 Start Screen?

My guess is that you're looking for a full-screen Start screen, right? If that's true, you should check the start menu app providers to see if any of their products provide full screen options. The ones that come to mind are Start10 (Stardock), StartIsBack, Classic Shell.

I'm sure that there are other that folks have used for Win8x that I'm not familiar with.

Mark Phelps, Jul 20, 2015
  9. Gustav Win User
    That's what I'm afraid of, but it may be to early to give up the hope.

Gustav, Jul 20, 2015
  10. Gustav Win User
    Yes, that's what I'm after. And I did check the well-known providers. Sadly, they all seem too busy creating different variations of the stupid Windows 95-style Start Menu from Windows 7 or some over-fancy "mods" not suitable for business use.

Gustav, Jul 20, 2015
  11. There was a time when a registry mod re-instated the Win8.1 Start Screen /All apps - but MS changed the basis of Start and that mod no longer works.

Don't give up hope, there might come a time when a member figures out the keys and provides a regedit file. It's probably a long shot but I'm one who would like that option back too.

MS might offer it to us later as an option, but they played around with Start during the preview (at least 4 iterations) until they felt they had a good launch compromise. Win8.1 users aren't a large enough base and we weren't loud enough. That might change - I think it will, I hope it will.

Slartybart, Jul 20, 2015
  12. jay969 Win User
    I think there's a software called istart8 or something that makes it work, not free though
    dunno if it's good or not

jay969, Jul 21, 2015
  13. Kyhi Win User

Start8 by stardock

not a big fan of the expandable folders and alphabetize apps.. in 5 the folders are expanded to an app..
    and the webpage style pop-ups for pc setting and such are foolish and more designed so you can't change anything..

My biggest complaint is the way windows do not drag and move without having to try three times to grab it..
    all others are like clickdrag move done.. win10 is click click click slow slide over..

Well now they have Start10

Software: Windows Customization Apps from Stardock

14. Gustav Win User
    Thanks, but I can only locate something named Start8 and that is sadly just yet another tool to bring a Windows 7-style start menu to Windows 8.

Gustav, Jul 21, 2015
  15. Gustav Win User
    I sent a request to Stardock which seems to be major player in this market:

Gustav, Jul 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Bring back the Windows 8 Start Screen? - Similar Threads - Bring Start Screen

2. bring back windows phone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bring back windows phone: the ui of whatsapp and twitter in windows lapptop is awsome so. why cant they bring windows phone and make a windows store aacesbility like app store with look of windows 11...
  3. Respected sir / Madam, is it possible to bring back Windows 8 back to my system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Respected sir / Madam, is it possible to bring back Windows 8 back to my system: Respected sir / Madam, At present I am using windows 10, Very recently my system crashed and loaded windows 10 operating system , present it shows the " My license is expired " every time it shows like that , The thing is : When i bought this laptop I got genuine windows 8...
  4. Respected sir / Madam, is it possible to bring back Windows 8 back to my system

Respected sir / Madam, is it possible to bring back Windows 8 back to my system: Respected sir / Madam, At present I am using windows 10, Very recently my system crashed and loaded windows 10 operating system , present it shows the " My license is expired " every time it shows like that , The thing is : When i bought this laptop I got genuine windows 8...
  5. Respected sir / Madam, is it possible to bring back Windows 8 back to my system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  6. Shortcut to bring all windows back to the main screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut to bring all windows back to the main screen?: Is there a keyboard shortcut to bring all windows back to the main screen at once?I have differing numbers of displays and in different positions between my home and office workspaces. When I want to resume work from a different location, I'm finding it tedious to remember...
  7. Shortcut to bring all windows back to the main screen?

Shortcut to bring all windows back to the main screen?: Is there a keyboard shortcut to bring all windows back to the main screen at once?I have differing numbers of displays and in different positions between my home and office workspaces. When I want to resume work from a different location, I'm finding it tedious to remember...
  8. Please bring back full screen start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please bring back full screen start menu: Please bring it back . I have fully adapted to it. I could browse all my apps with a clean wallpaper with no desktop icon. A few big tiles to quick show weather while I click into folder to open my Adobe apps, Spotify, and everything up. It is much more versatile and...
  9. Please bring back full screen start menu

Please bring back full screen start menu: Please bring it back . I have fully adapted to it. I could browse all my apps with a clean wallpaper with no desktop icon. A few big tiles to quick show weather while I click into folder to open my Adobe apps, Spotify, and everything up. It is much more versatile and...
  10. can't bring back Start Screen but only start menu in default

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't bring back Start Screen but only start menu in default: hi everyone. newly installed windows 10 system, only shows classic Start Menu in default, and with a Start Screen button at the top left as shown in picture. when I click the button, it goes to start screen, the one with tiles. but next when press Win key or click windows...