Windows 10: Broadband Allowance being used in a matter of hours

Discus and support Broadband Allowance being used in a matter of hours in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Hope I'm posting in the right place. Because we have poor internet coverage we use 4G for internet provision, but this means that the allowance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by annheather, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Broadband Allowance being used in a matter of hours

Hi,

Hope I'm posting in the right place. Because we have poor internet coverage we use 4G for internet provision, but this means that the allowance is capped at 30GB a month. This has been ok until just recently when the allowance is suddenly used up literally overnight when the computer is unattended. we've run checks for malware, viruses etc and come back with nothing. There are 4 computers on the network and we've pinned it down to the one computer - leave it switched off and no allowance is used. It's not viable to leave it continually switched off though - and it's used allowance when it's been stood unattended during the day. Has anyone any suggestions - I've spent hours looking on the internet but can't find any help.

:)

annheather, Oct 1, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Data Allowance being used up

Glad to Help!

DaveM121, Oct 1, 2016
  3. Data Allowance being used up

See options for managing data usage in Windows 10:

Option 1:

Set your Internet connection as metered:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows...

Option 2:

Use Active Hours and Restart options:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/managing-windo...

Option 3:

Use Show/Hide Updates tool to block the update:

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?

Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Option 4:

Press Windows key + R

Type: services.msc

Hit Enter

Scroll down to Windows Update

Select it then right click it

Click Properties

Under the General tab, choose Startup type to DIsabled

Click Stop

Click Apply then OK

Option 5:

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro which can pause updates for up to 35 days or block them for a year.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation

Click the link ‘Go to the store to upgrade or enter a product key’

Click the $99 button to make your purchase (the price might vary by region or depending on the edition you are upgrading from or upgrading to).

Follow the on screen instructions to make your purchase.

Within 5 to 10 minutes, your system will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, your personal files, apps and settings preserved.

You won’t get a product key, you get a digital license, which is attached to your Microsoft Account used to make the purchase.

=================================================

Andre Da Costa, Oct 1, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Broadband Allowance being used in a matter of hours

Hi there

30GB is TRIVIAL these days where people might use online streaming services - these aren't logged as DOWNLOAD as they are in real time -- things like SKY GO or equivalent -- watching say a football match (the ROUND ball variety) could consume a huge amount of bandwidth without any DOWNLOAD quota being measured at all.

Just as an extra -- the days of capping Internet should really go the way of the Dodo --with new ultra UHD 4K (and eventually 8K) TV movies and series becoming available you will use up 10GB in about 30 secs flat !!!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 1, 2016
  5. Yes that's ok if you've got a broadband supply, but where we are there's isn't any and fibre isn't available either. We're lucky to get anything.

annheather, Oct 1, 2016
  6. linw Win User
    Check what Task Manager is showing under Network. You should be able to see what process is using the network resource.

That computer isn't seeding torrents is it??

linw, Oct 2, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    Bree, Oct 2, 2016
  8. linw Win User

A windows update won't use 30ishGB a night as Ann has stated.

linw, Oct 2, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    It could if this was turned on....

Broadband Allowance being used in a matter of hours [​IMG]

Bree, Oct 2, 2016
  10. flybynite Win User
    If your computer is using 30 GB in one night unattended something is wrong. Very, very wrong. I would suggest testing for malware, or just wiping the disk, and reinstalling. You have something on that thing that is NOT good.

flybynite, Oct 2, 2016
  11. linw Win User
    But, has anybody really seen this happening?

12. flybynite Win User
    LOL you will never ever get 30 GB of updates. A whole Windows installation is only between 3 and 4!

flybynite, Oct 2, 2016
  13. Mystere Win User

No. That doesn't do what you think it does.

Mystere, Oct 2, 2016
  14. linw Win User
    To be fair, bree was pointing to the possibility of the comp being used to seed updates to other computers.

15. We've switched off automatic updates at the moment and the other setting as shown by Bree is off. Neither of which has made any difference.

annheather, Oct 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Broadband Allowance being used in a matter of hours - Similar Threads - Broadband Allowance being

2. pdf not being allowed to save

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pdf not being allowed to save: Am not sure what happened overnight but when I scan from my HP scanner and my pdf shows up as "test today" which is what I named it in my documents folder when I open it the format and layout is totally different see attached. I can't save as as the save button is greyed out...
  3. pdf not being allowed to save

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pdf not being allowed to save: Am not sure what happened overnight but when I scan from my HP scanner and my pdf shows up as "test today" which is what I named it in my documents folder when I open it the format and layout is totally different see attached. I can't save as as the save button is greyed out...
  4. Threat isn't being removed no matter what

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Threat isn't being removed no matter what: I tried removing it but it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/threat-isnt-being-removed-no-matter-what/6b335345-b833-4327-867d-90fef155d3b7
  5. Threat isn't being removed no matter what

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Threat isn't being removed no matter what: I tried removing it but it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/threat-isnt-being-removed-no-matter-what/6b335345-b833-4327-867d-90fef155d3b7
  6. Threat isn't being removed no matter what

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Broadband

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Broadband: Broadband is ok in safe mode but slow in normal mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broadband/6745881a-c3b5-4067-8668-268576418f02
  8. Time limit on Pc or allow pc to use for certain hours.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Time limit on Pc or allow pc to use for certain hours.: HI. I am not sure if similar post exist b4. So my question is I want to set time or timer that Windows log out after few hours use of PC or set time like no use of pc more than 10 PM With admin access. I know that If I make standard or Kid account may do it. But I want it in...
  9. Updates and data reporting using Mobile Broadband

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates and data reporting using Mobile Broadband: Before I return to 10 home version (reverted back to 8.1 for a few months), there are a few issues I can see and experienced when using the new system which need to be clarified/fixed before I go back to 10. Whilst it is fine using my home landline network to update a...
  10. Single window being allowed

in Windows 10 Support
    Single window being allowed: Installed Windows 10 yesterday and things are just not right. I am unable to reduce window size. If I hit the reduction icon with window just goes away. I am also not able to have more than one window open at a time. Since my taskbar is also broken, I have to go back to start...