Windows 10: Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT

Discus and support Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Communications regulator Ofcom is pushing ahead with plans to make BT Openreach a separate company, in a bid to improve broadband competition in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT

Read more: Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Nov 28, 2016

2. Picking up an IP address on Boot

Hi Folks

My problem is that both the desktop PCs running Win 10 on our home wired network always fail to pick up an IP address on initial boot. The laptop (Win 7) the iPad and the Android smart phone are all quite happy with the wireless part of the system and connect
    straight through to the internet. The desktop machines will always get the IP address on the re-boot. Whilst this is reliable, it takes for ever...

The system is based around 'superfast' broadband from an BT Openreach ethernet modem to which is attached a Technicolour TG582n ethernet router with wifi. The desktop machines are a local firm build based on AMD 64 bit chips on Gigabite boards.

I should point out that this issue did not occur when we were running BT superfast broadband using a BT combined ethernet modem/router with wifi. It has only turned up since we changed internet supplier. Questioning the latter the consensus is that it
    is another Win 10 bug.

Your observations would be welcomed.

Regards

Pate

Peter_Cuthbert, Nov 28, 2016
  3. Symbian Anna missing split screen keyboard / no split screen keyboard in some variants

i agree with you deanfredericks.. however... promise still the promise, it takes 8 months for Nokia to improve input method? they promised split screen in symbian anna, and here is now symbian anna, but no split screen... it's very not satisfy as a user...

pirates_killer, Nov 28, 2016
  4. Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT

Hopefully this will bring about an improvement. I am with BT and their monopoly is shocking. I'm one of the lucky ones as my speed is decent (for UK) at about 55 mbits down and 15 mbits up. But many users suffer from poor speeds and severe evening congestion which BT has no interest in addressing seeing as they are the dominant business. Also their inability to roll out infinity/fibre broadband to all areas of the country is poor, they should be making greater efforts to ensure Fibre broadband is available to everyone. Maybe now they will have to buck their game up

Scottyboy99, Nov 28, 2016
  5. DooGie Win User
    Hi Scottyboy, I'm also with BT and the BT Openreach talks should be pretty interesting and as you say should eventually lead to a better connection. Happy to say I'm like you with a good solid connection.
    The only thing that worries me if they split is BTusers have always benefitted from Openreach engineers who are a cut above the other cantractors that BT uses (I won't name them).

My speedtest this afternoon.

Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT [​IMG]

DooGie, Nov 28, 2016
  6. Wow, that's pretty good speed. I cannot remember what the maximum is on FTTC but you must be pretty near it. Sadly we are a little way from the cabinet but I'm happy with 55 - 60 mbits. We literally moved to a new house only 50 odd yards up the same street a couple years back and download went from 30-35 to 55-60 which was good! I have had some bad experiences with evening congestion but it's been decent for well over a year. Sadly I hear and read many bad experiences though from BT.

Scottyboy99, Nov 28, 2016
  7. DooGie Win User
    I'm 100 yards from the cabinet.

DooGie, Nov 28, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

More competition is welcome. UK broadband providers keep increasing prices several times a year with each increase being well above the inflation rate. The UK regulator OFCOM seems powerless to have any impact on the rises.

Steve C, Nov 29, 2016
  9. dencal Win User
    Am fortunate to be in a Virgin supplied area with its superior fibre optics, offering speeds way above anything BT can offer.

dencal, Nov 29, 2016
  10. z3r010 Win User
    I miss my Virgin cable, hopefully FTTP from openreach isn't too far away.

z3r010, Nov 29, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    I'm a Virgin fibre customer too. The service is fine but the frequent price hikes several times a year well above inflation are not.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT - Similar Threads - Broadband boost promised

2. Broadband Connectivity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Broadband Connectivity: Hi. I bought a refurbished computer. The CPU is IntelR CoreTM i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz. I have connected an ethernet cable. I pay a lot of money for very fast broadband. My router has 2.4GHz and 5GHz. With the ethernet cable connection, my computer is only seeing the...
  3. MISSING TILE FROM BT

in Windows 10 Customization
    MISSING TILE FROM BT: The ISP Tile from BT is no longer on my Windows 10 screen on opening. It has also been removed from the Task bar when BT Yahoo was stopped. How can I replace it please?...
  4. boost microphone from Registry!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boost microphone from Registry!: Hello everyone, i want set microphone boost to 15db or whatever i want! is that possible? there is only 0, 10 ,20 and 30 db available [ATTACH] 20db is too much and my mic make noise and 10 is a little low! any help would be much appreciated....
  5. Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?: January 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed was regularly 16 + Mbps. December 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed is regularly 12.5Mbps. One day it was 16+ Mbps then the first day of new contract it was down to 12.5 Mbps so it has got to be...
  6. Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?: January 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed was regularly 16 + Mbps. December 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed is regularly 12.5Mbps. One day it was 16+ Mbps then the first day of new contract it was down to 12.5 Mbps so it has got to be...
  7. Windows 10 version 1909 promises battery life boost

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 version 1909 promises battery life boost: Microsoft is expected to announce Windows 10 version 1909 (codenamed 19H2) later this week and it’s practically going to be a service pack. Release Preview Ring Insiders have already been offered Windows 10 version 1909 and it will apparently roll out to all supported...
  8. Broadband

Broadband: Broadband is ok in safe mode but slow in normal mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broadband/6745881a-c3b5-4067-8668-268576418f02
  9. Broadband Connection

Broadband Connection: Microsoft have giving me a ref number, put me through to technical department three times each time i was eventually cut off without speaking to anyone. I have made two call back later times and no one has called. So I still have no broadband connection....
  10. BT claims to have achieved 'real world' broadband speeds of up to 1.4 Tbps

in Windows 10 News
    BT claims to have achieved 'real world' broadband speeds of up to 1.4 Tbps: How fast is your broadband connection? No matter how quick it may be, we doubt you recorded anything on Speedtest.net that's close to what BT claims to have achieved in a recent trail using an existing fiber connection that connected two locations about 80 miles apart. In...