Windows 10: Broadcom NetLink Ethernet card working intermittently.

Discus and support Broadcom NetLink Ethernet card working intermittently. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi everyone, First off, I'd like to thank everyone in advance for their time and help with this issue. I recently upgraded to windows 10 on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by afurmanczyk, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Broadcom NetLink Ethernet card working intermittently.

Hi everyone,

First off, I'd like to thank everyone in advance for their time and help with this issue.

I recently upgraded to windows 10 on my desktop. I've run into a problem with my "Broadcom NetLink TM Gigabit Ethernet" card, basically the issue is that the internet connection will suddenly stop and show as limited access. I get the error message "Default Gateway not available." I can usually fix it by restarting the computer or auto troubleshooting, but then the connection could break again after as little as 5 minutes. I've been unable to fix this problem after hours of searching through the interwebs. Through my googling this seems like an old issue dating back to windows 7/8/8.1 (maybe longer?) and usually is resolved by updating or manually reinstalling a new driver. I can't find any help for windows 10, and the solutions presented online aren't working for me.

I've tried these fixes:
    • Disabling the firewall. (Failed)
    • Updating the card automatically through device manager. (Failed)
    • Uninstalling the driver completely to let windows recognize the card by itself on restart. (Failed)
    • Looking for general windows updates. (Failed to solve problem.)
    • Manually installing new drivers from the Broadcom website. (I noticed there were no newer windows 10 drivers available on the site. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place? Either way, it made me wonder if perhaps the reason this issue is happening is that there are no windows 10 drivers available for my Ethernet card?) (Failed)

At this point I'm at a loss for what to do. Please advise!

Desktop Specs, Dell XPS (2011) intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 1GB Nvidia GT420.
    Current most "up to date" driver is V15.6.1.2 (1/29/2013)
    Internet specs, Broadband through twin phonelines, 100 mbps down, 30 mbps up.

**Update 10 AM PST 8/15/2015**
    At: Ethernet NIC NetXtreme I Desktop/Mobile | Broadcom I found a newer driver V 17.2.0.0 (8/5/2015) that looks like it would support windows 10. After downloading, I cannot install it.
    1: I tried Device manager>Rightclick on "Broadcom ethernet">Update driver...>manually install>select folder with downloaded driver= "Best driver is already currently installed. " So since that didn't work. I tried replacing the drivers in C:\Windows\system32\drivers, this also didn't work.
    How can I install this new driver?

:)

afurmanczyk, Aug 14, 2015
  2. Marten_g Win User

Windows 10 Ethernet Doesn't Work

netk57a.inf ??

"Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet"

"Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet"

"Broadcom NetLink (TM) Ethernet"

have a driver from 2014-10-17 ver 17.0.0.2 at windows update.

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

have a driver from 2015-04-10 ver 17.2.0.0 at windows update

Marten_g, Aug 14, 2015
  3. WayneJS Win User
    Upgraded to Windows 10 Home, Internet Connection Lost Intermittently

Same problem for me. I also have a Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet card and the same problem. Drivers are also the latest.

WayneJS, Aug 14, 2015
  4. Broadcom NetLink Ethernet card working intermittently.

I have a similar problem with my Dell Desktop (Late 2009), though my broadband (wired) connection drops and reverts to my wireless card. I have to restart in order to reset the broadband wired connection. This feature is making me crazy!!! One source I have read indication I might have an unstable Internet signal, however that makes no sense as the system reverts to the wireless connection.

JCSpringer2005, Aug 15, 2015
  5. Dan Jay Win User
    I had a similar problem with my Dell 8100 machine. The On-board internet controller on the Dell 8100 is not compatible with WIN 10, and there isn't an updated driver. There is, however, a cheap solution. Purchase and install a HiRO H50218 PCIe Ethernet adapter for about $15 at Amazon. Before installing the new NIC first enter the BIOS and disable the on-board controller, a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet controller. In the BIOS look under Chipset options to disable the on-board NIC. Now install the new NIC in an available PCIe slot and reboot. At the logon screen it will appear that you don't have an internet connection, but once you log on WIN 10 will find and install the proper driver automatically. That's it.

Dan Jay, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Dan,
    Thanks much for the information! I will give it a shot and will follow-up on the board!
    *Cool*Cool*Cool

JCSpringer2005, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Dan Jay Win User
    Good Luck. So far the new NIC is working like a champ.

Dan Jay, Aug 17, 2015
  8. sheester Win User

Broadcom NetLink Ethernet card working intermittently.

I experienced the exact same issue of Ethernet connectivity issues on my Dell XPS 8300 with a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet adapter after "upgrading" to Windows 10.

I was able to manually install the updated driver to 17.2.0.0 as follows:

After downloading and extracting the zip file NetLink®/NetXtreme® I Desktop/Mobile/Server (x64):

1. Go to Network Settings and click Change Adapter Options
    2. Right-click on the Ethernet/Local Area Connection device and select Properties
    3. Click on Configure and go to the Drivers Tab
    4. Click on Update Driver and then select Browse My Computer
    5. Select "Let me pick from a list..." and then select Have Disk
    6. Locate the downloaded driver file (b57nd60a.inf) and select OK
    7. You will now see a long list of drivers: Select Broadcom Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet (about 1/3 of the way down on my list).
    8. Click Next and you should be good to go!

I only applied this update today, but since the update I have no longer experienced the Ethernet connectivity issues I was experiencing prior to the update. *Party*Party*Party

I'll follow up if the problem persists despite the update.

sheester, Aug 23, 2015
  9. Dan Jay Win User
    I have a Dell 8100 that was having connection problems and I originally installed a new NIC, which did solve the problem, but that NIC just failed. Since I was back were I started I decided to update the driver for the on-board card as you suggested. When I selected the driver WIN warned that it was not the right driver and should not be used, but I went ahead ... nothing to lose. It appeared not to work, even after I rebooted the machine, but sometime later the connection was restored and seems to be working fine. Have to say I'm a bit baffled, but happy for the moment. Thanks for the information.

Dan Jay, Aug 27, 2015
  10. tomloc18 Win User
    I was having the same problems. I have a Dell Inspiron 5800 circa 2010, and I had intermittent Internet connection issues and I would always go in to reset the network adapter settings and auto-troubleshoot problems and it would sometimes reestablish the connections only to fail immediately afterwards. I downloaded the updated device drivers from BroadCom's website but either I didn't load it correctly or I was using the wrong one. The above instructions have now worked for me.

I love some of the other advice that was given in some of the other unnamed threads and by Windows Support, such as shutting your security software off, etc and there are like 10 elaborate steps, which of course would never work. These instructions seemed to work like a charm. I have been on for hours with no interruptions. Thank you @sheester.....you have restored my faith. I had upgraded and downgraded back to 7.1 four or five times trying different things. My father has the exact same system and his computer had no issues at all. I even contacted Verizon Fios to ask them if they knew the correct drivers for their Wifi/Modem and even updated the modem in case the firmware was an issue, to no avail. I thought it even had to do with the fact that I had cloned my prior hard drive with OS 7.1 on it before upgrading to Windows 10 and looked at some of the reasons this might have caused an issue, which in turn it did cause my computer to not fully shut down when selected. However, I was able to correct that issue in the power settings tab. So this solution has two successes so far, possibly three?

tomloc18, Oct 11, 2015
  11. Dan Jay Win User
    I did resolve my problem. I was able to locate and manually install an updated driver. However I don't now recall who provided the information on that fix that I used. With the new driver it's working perfectly.

Dan Jay, Oct 12, 2015
  12. Dan Jay Win User
    that is the right driver, but you need to select that you have the disk, and point to the correct one on the list. I just don't recall the complete instructions.

Dan Jay, Oct 12, 2015
  13. Mesh Win User

I also have the same issue as the OP with the Broadcom Ethernet driver dropping my internet connection. I've also tried everything the OP did (including manually installing newer driver V 17.2.0.0), but ALL to no avail.

It got to a point where I ended up buying Plugable's USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter: Plugable USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Plugable and this is also dropping the Win 10 built in ASIX drivers where I have to continuously reinstall the drivers/Rollback/unplug the USB 3.0 adapter etc.......all to no avail.
    Plugable support is quite good/actively communicate with me and are sending a free replacement (in case this one might be defective), but I'm a bit skeptical and think it's more of a Win 10 driver issue.....IDK.

Anyone know of a solution to this?
    I'm really trying to avoid reverting back to Win 8.1 as I do like Win 10 and EVERYTHING else is working perfectly.........just not the internet.......*Sad

14. JPod Win User
Thema:

1. Broadcom NetLink Ethernet card working intermittently. - Similar Threads - Broadcom NetLink Ethernet

2. Ethernet keeps intermittently disconnecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet keeps intermittently disconnecting: I am running Windows 11 Pro on a custom-built PC. I went for a break for a month, after which this issue has started occurring. On turning on the PC, the ethernet disconnects after 30 min or so, and then I unplug and plug back the cable, and it comes back for a min or so....
  3. Ethernet keeps intermittently disconnecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet keeps intermittently disconnecting: I am running Windows 11 Pro on a custom-built PC. I went for a break for a month, after which this issue has started occurring. On turning on the PC, the ethernet disconnects after 30 min or so, and then I unplug and plug back the cable, and it comes back for a min or so....
  4. Driver for Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Driver for Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet for Windows 10: Using Windows 10 Pro -- 20H2 OS Build 19042.685 I have an older PC HP Compac dc5700 Microtower running the above named version of Windows 10. I'm looking for the correct updated driver for the on-boardBroadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet driver that is compatible with my...
  5. intermittent Ethernet issues.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    intermittent Ethernet issues.: I've been having intermittent issues with my ethernet cable for the last week or so for 5-30minutes it will go down once or twice a day at that time the WIFI still works so i have to switch to it. has anyone had a similar issue and would know how to fix it submitted by...
  6. Broadcom NetLink Ethernet

Broadcom NetLink Ethernet: Windows 10 has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43). I have uninstalled and reinstalled, and restarted the computer. The fix will last a short time before Windows stops it again. Resetting the Modem repairs for a short time as well. How do I get a...
  7. Ethernet Card Unstable!

Ethernet Card Unstable!: I have a Dell XPS 8930 Desktop. The Ethernet Card iseems so have some connectivity issue and I have to wiggle the cord to get it going at times. It is not the cord itself (we've tried 3 different ones) but something in the card. Problem is that the Ethernet is part of the...
  8. Faulty Broadcom Network card

Faulty Broadcom Network card: HP laptop. Turns out that the broadcom wi fi card is faulty, this discussing with hp support. have gone down the usb route . The problem I have is uninstalling the old card or whatever form it takes. I uninstall/ or disable delete drivers , then every restart the ruddy thing...
  9. Ethernet adapter intermittently dropping

Ethernet adapter intermittently dropping: Hi Guys, After updating from windows 8.1 to windows 10 my Ethernet adapter is intermittently dropping my connection. I have another machine exactly the same specs and it is not happening on the machine. The Ethernet adapter is a [img] Has anyone experienced an...
  10. Broadcom 4352 AC card, low wireless signal.

Broadcom 4352 AC card, low wireless signal.: Yooooo! I have a Lenovo Y510p with modified BIOS so I could replace the crappy Intel wireless card that came with it (Intel Centrino N2230) for an Azurewave - Broadcom 4352. The experience has been good so far, the only problem I'm having is the low wireless signal with the...