Windows 10: Broken Laptop?

Discus and support Broken Laptop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have dropped my 6 month old laptop on the carpet. About a 4 foor drop. My laptop immedietly started to run a lot slower. I tried to have it self... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SirCharlesVII, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Broken Laptop?

I have dropped my 6 month old laptop on the carpet. About a 4 foor drop. My laptop immedietly started to run a lot slower. I tried to have it self diagnose its self by using chkdsk /R in the cmd. It froze at 10%, I restarted my laptop then tried to factory reset it, because windows said there was a problem. I tried ti factory reset, I tried to just delete all files, neither worked. They both froze at a low %. Now my laptop wont even turn on, it is stuck at the "HP" start up, where it doesnt even try to load. Please help. Thanks.

:)

SirCharlesVII, Jul 2, 2016

2. PC to HDMI input Xbox one 5.1 pass through.

Surround sound set-up

You can pass surround sound from your set-top box to your TV or A/V receiver directly from your Xbox One console. Here's how:

• Scroll left on the Home screen to open the guide.
      Note Double-tapping the Xbox button will open the guide from any other screen on the console.
    • Select Settings.
    • Select All settings.
    • Select TV & OneGuide.
    • Select Audio & video.
    • Change the audio option from Stereo to Surround sound.
    • Select Restart now. Your console will restart and enable surround sound from your console to your TV or A/V receiver.

Broken Sync, Jul 2, 2016
  3. Broken-PC Win User
    Windows File explorer - Not Responding/Hanging/Freezing then taskbar goes black

Hi, I hope I've got the right section.

Edition: Windows 10 home

Version 1511

OS Build 10586.71

Processor i5 3570K @3.40 Ghz

Ram 8GB

System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

(TL-DR) Righting clicking in windows file explorer freezes/hangs file explorer. Have to task manager close, then windows task bar goes black and after 10 secs icons appear again. 3rd install of Window 10. Tried other fixes nothing has worked. Also can't
    access Update & security in Settings for W10.

(Problem one)

Basically I've been looking for a fix for my current problem with windows 10. (This is my third install of this damn software) The first time, I turned my system on it wouldn't load, blue screened. Second tie my boot drive failed with it on and well, I'm
    scared its going to happen again.

(bootdrive is a New Corsair 240 SSD I bought 4 months ago after the first one i guess Failed/broke (which I had for about 2/3 years)

Basically, I've been opening file explorer in windows 10, right clicking and it freezes. I have to Task manager close it and then it says Drive isn't responding at the very top of the window and then my windows task bar (at the bottom and top of my two screens)
    goes black and there are no icons for 10 seconds then they all pop up again.

(Second possible unrelated problem but probably isn't)

"Also when I booted up, instead of the PC loading, it went to like a boot screen were it listed the USBs attached, and the sata connections It had my Boot drive and Optical drive. I couldn't do anything with it because my keyboard doesn't work until the
    PCs loaded fully (thanks Corsair) and I don't have another keyboard to hand. I reset my system and the pc booted fine."

(Third possibly unrelated problem but probably isn't)

I also tried rebooting/reverting back to window 7 but now when I press the Windows key and click settings the window pops up but when I click the icon "Update and Security" the system also Hang/Freezes/Not responds. I can still access the other 8 icons though.

(What I've done so far for Problem 1)

I've see advice for "just install/repair with windows disk" Well, I don't have a disk as this virus called Windows 10 was downloaded to my PC and I installed it to upgrade. I don't have a disk.

Also I've seen some suggestions for third party software, which I don't want to install for "security reasons".

'I've seen the other forum posts and I haven't changed the scaling and I have already gone in to the task manager and refreshed from manual to Auto on two drop downs which fixed the problem for a day or so.'

Also, I've tried to install the windows creation kit or whatever its called to "Repair" my system but all it wants to do is option A)Install windows 10, Option B) Create a dick/usb to install windows 10 on another computer

(Q: So if I create the CD will it give me the option to repair? I don't want to waste a CD if it doesn't)

As for Problem 2/3:

I've no idea

I am rather annoyed at this, I've had nothing but problems with windows 10. It works for a little while then breaks down. As far as I know, all the drivers are up to date, all updates are up to date, even the cables going to my drives are flush and secured.
    Bios is up to date, mother board **** all upto date. Just Window's 10 is messing up.

Hope theres a fix. I've got alot of files and I can't clean install windows 7 again.

Broken-PC, Jul 2, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Broken Laptop?

Was it actually running when dropped? What type of boot drive does it have, an SSD/Solid State Drive or an HDD/Hard Disk Drive? The former has no moving parts and may not have been damaged but the latter may have been as it has spinning disk/s and moving read/write heads in it. A Notebook/Laptop/Netbook/Tablet has some resistance to shock damage but it's variable based upon how far it was dropped, what it hit and how it hit [edge, flat, bottom, top/lid, etc.]. I've been able to repair most but if the motherboard got cracked it usually is cheaper to replace those computers out of warranty with new instead. Since yours should still be in warranty, except maybe for physical damage, it would be a toss-up.

Berton, Jul 2, 2016
  5. Fabler Win User
    Hopefully is has only dislodged the HDD's sata connection. Can you open it up and check the ram and drive connections? As Berton, though, if motherboard damaged would be cheaper to buy new. If the hard drive is damaged then replace. Hopefully you have created a back to factory medium that you can use to reinstall on a new drive or use an image if created.

Fabler, Jul 2, 2016
  6. SirCharlesVII, Jul 2, 2016
  7. Fabler Win User
    Check out videos on YouTube for your particular HP laptop. How to disassemble or change hard drive. Laptops aren't as simple as desktops. This is just an example,

Fabler, Jul 2, 2016
  8. Broken Laptop?

So you indeed think that my hard drive is broken? Alright I will buy another on Amazon.

9. Fabler Win User
    Whatever you do take your time, set the screws in different containers, and make a note of which goes where. Usually the drive sits in a caddy. Be it metal or plastic. It's not easy to navigate your image in magnified mode but it look as the drive is in a black plastic caddy. There should be a guide on YouTube or documentation on the HP site as a PDF. You can ask for help on the HP site as they will give you a PDF link for your machine.
    Contact HP | HP® United Kingdom

I did this on a new laptop so I can change to an SSD.

Fabler, Jul 2, 2016
  10. Fabler Win User
    As Berton, have you looked closely on your motherboard for hairline cracks? Anything looking wrong? No point ordering a new drive if the motherboard is duff. If you've taken the drive out then try to reseat it. Do the same with the two ram modules. Close it up and try booting.

Fabler, Jul 2, 2016
  11. If I send you a link to a picture if my hard drive and both of my RAM things, will you tell me if they are cracked? I do notice dents in the metal plate that holds every electrical peice together.

12. Fabler Win User
    Talking about motherboard here. Re-seat the hard drive and ram. Close it up and try booting. If it fails again check the motherboard over, carefully with a magnifying glass, gently putting finger pressure here and there.

Fabler, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Broken Laptop?

1. Broken Laptop? - Similar Threads - Broken Laptop

2. I factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after it factory reset the hdmi...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after it factory reset the hdmi...: i factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after the update the hdmi isnt working and i cant see the screen on my tv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-factory-reset-my-laptop-that-has-a-broken-screen/4493b3f6-d835-4057-9675-ab3c8923de96
  3. I factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after it factory reset the hdmi...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after it factory reset the hdmi...: i factory reset my laptop that has a broken screen and after the update the hdmi isnt working and i cant see the screen on my tv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-factory-reset-my-laptop-that-has-a-broken-screen/4493b3f6-d835-4057-9675-ab3c8923de96
  4. KB5035853 Has broken multi-monitor support and charging in my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5035853 Has broken multi-monitor support and charging in my laptop: After KB5035853 was installed on my thinkpad x1 carbon gen 9 laptop, the charging stopped working and usb3 to hdmi support broke. I thought this was some hardware failure, but tried to revert the update first. Attempting to revert this update by windows restore bricked my...
  5. KB5035853 Has broken multi-monitor support and charging in my laptop

KB5035853 Has broken multi-monitor support and charging in my laptop: After KB5035853 was installed on my thinkpad x1 carbon gen 9 laptop, the charging stopped working and usb3 to hdmi support broke. I thought this was some hardware failure, but tried to revert the update first. Attempting to revert this update by windows restore bricked my...
  6. the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically: I experienced a broken laptop and it wouldn't turn on again. I took my SSD and tried to use another device but it was locked. I had never previously enabled bitlocker and didn't feel like saving the recovery key...
  7. the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically

the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically: I experienced a broken laptop and it wouldn't turn on again. I took my SSD and tried to use another device but it was locked. I had never previously enabled bitlocker and didn't feel like saving the recovery key...
  8. How to get data from a broken surface laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get data from a broken surface laptop: Hello all,Recently, we were using my surface laptop to play music on the outside rooftop area. It was on a ledge and someone happened to knock it over. The computer took a hard hit and is quite damaged. My concern is if I can get the data, like downloaded PDFs and files from...
  9. How to get data from a broken surface laptop

How to get data from a broken surface laptop: Hello all,Recently, we were using my surface laptop to play music on the outside rooftop area. It was on a ledge and someone happened to knock it over. The computer took a hard hit and is quite damaged. My concern is if I can get the data, like downloaded PDFs and files from...
  10. Bluetooth is broken. Windows 11, laptop

Bluetooth is broken. Windows 11, laptop: As of yesterday Bluetooth won't connect to anything. I tried to remove my Xbox wireless controller first and then it wouldn't remove. It also wouldn't connect to it in the first place. So I tried removing it in device manager in the Bluetooth section and it would still be...