Windows 10: Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

Discus and support Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I found a broken shortcut on my account's Start Menu program list, located all the way on the bottom. [img] Right-clicking and uninstalling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by djdelarosa25, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

I found a broken shortcut on my account's Start Menu program list, located all the way on the bottom.

Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list [​IMG]

Right-clicking and uninstalling doesn't do anything. I tried some of the solutions found online and most of them don't work. Is there any way for me to fix this mild annoyance?

:)

djdelarosa25, Apr 2, 2018

2. After upgrade to Windows 10 Start menu filled with old program icons.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Gives you the folder of the start menu...are almost sure you can delete the broken shortcuts there..

ArnfinnLarsen, Apr 2, 2018
  3. EliasCK Win User
    Is my start menu broken?

Just updated as well, and thought I would finally give the windows 10 start menu a go, and not use classic shell. But I'm unsure whether my start menu is broken, and I should do a clean install.

• I can drag a tile from the start menu to the desktop, but I can't drag a desktop icon to the start menu so it becomes a windows 10 tile icon?
    • I can right-click a tile and pin a shortcut to the taskbar, but again, I can't right-click a shortcut from the taskbar and pin it to the start menu.
    • When dragging tiles around, I have to wait before the animation is done until I can start the next drag.
    • I only have two options, large square or small square. Wasn't there a time, where you could have wide and tall and huge tiles? Or does that only works for apps :/? (I don't use any windows 10 apps)
    • I can't rename a pinned shortcut?
    • And is there still no option to add custom images to icons and make them look nice?

Have Microsoft not had 4 years with these new "tile icons"? And it is till this bad?

The only way for me to pin a program to the start menu is by locating it in the programs list in the start menu and drag or right-click to pin it. I use multiple versions of the same program, but the programs list in the start
    menu only shows one, so how on earth to I add a shortcut to the other versions then?

EliasCK, Apr 2, 2018
  4. ronf1011 Win User

Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

Go to the control panel and delete there, while we still have control panel

ronf1011, Apr 2, 2018
  5. How do I do that, when I don't even know what the app is?

djdelarosa25, Apr 2, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Very interesting! I've got it, too -- and even when I instruct Win10 to uninstall the item (whatever the heck it may be), it doesn't do anything. Just posted an item to the MS feedback hub about this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 2, 2018
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "Right-clicking and uninstalling doesn't do anything. "

It's an orphaned shortcut only. Does r-click have a 'More/Open file location' option ? If so, it will take you here or you can do it manually (enable view hidden folders view) and try deleting the shortcut there -
    C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

mrgeek, Apr 2, 2018
  8. Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

There are no broken shortcuts to be found in that directory. I managed to fix this by creating a new user account.

djdelarosa25, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list

1. Broken shortcut on Start Menu program list - Similar Threads - Broken shortcut Start

2. Start menu broken shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  3. Start Menu Program Search Broken

in Cortana
    Start Menu Program Search Broken: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  4. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs in Start menu not listed in search results: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7. I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the Start menu, start typing the name of a program that I know has a shortcut in the start menu,...
  5. Missing Programs from Start Menu List

Missing Programs from Start Menu List: Please don't tell me to reinstall... did that! Don't tell me to add an icon... I don't want a screen full of icons..... Don't tell me to add an app. If i wanted an apps I'd by a tablet. How do you fix missing installed programs back to Start Menu List. This is why I HATE...
  6. Start Menu Broken Apps List entry

Start Menu Broken Apps List entry: So I recently tried to uninstall the pre-installed version of Microsoft Office from my computer, and install Office 365 from my educational institution in its place. To my knowledge I did so successfully, with a small exception. I managed to remove most of the original...
  7. Language in Start menu program list

Language in Start menu program list: Why does "Microsfoft office Hulpprogramma's" appear in Nederland in my start menu program list when my system language is English. All other start menu programs are shown in English....
  8. ms-resource:appDisplayName in Start Menu programs list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms-resource:appDisplayName in Start Menu programs list: I'll begin this by saying that this nuisance has been there even before I upgraded to the April 2018 update. I also posted about this issue here before, but no one was able to help me. Needless to say, the latest update did not fix this. I even did an in-place upgrade after...
  9. Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu

Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu: So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed...
  10. Programs Used List in Start Menue

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs Used List in Start Menue: How do a get a program that I use quite often to get on the "Most Used Programs List". I realize that I probably have to use it more for it to appear on the list. But I want to know if I can get it there even though the program is not used as often as the others. TIA...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. in-placd upgrade broken shortcuts

2. broken scotcurt

3. windows broken start menu

4. broken program shortcuts on windows startup menu,
  5. start menu broken shortcut