Windows 10: Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?

Discus and support Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So yesterday when I was looking around at my wallpapers from the explorer I noticed that some thumbnail previews for my pictures are green. [img] I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by roxieno, Apr 5, 2016.

1. roxieno Win User

Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache?

So yesterday when I was looking around at my wallpapers from the explorer I noticed that some thumbnail previews for my pictures are green.

Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache? [​IMG]

I had to cut around the personal pictures. It's not like every picture that's like this. I think these were the ones that I downloaded from the internet or or really low quality pixelated pictures.

And then when I opened my personalization app (?) it started acting funny too. When I choose a wallpaper it never shows a preview it's just stuck with previous wallpaper preview. Even with slideshows this happens. Then I checked the lock screen if it had the same problem. It was worse. At first it did preview but it really takes a while then after a while it was just gray:

Then I noticed this happened to the icons which only now works if I choose windows spotlight

They look fine from the start menu so I really don't know what's happening.

I'm not really sure when this started happening but I noticed this after I installed a theme that I downloaded from my microsoft.com. But I did install an for video thumbnails that doesn't have any by default.
    So I don't know, should I try to reset the icon and thumbnail cache? Maybe that got screwed up? I tried to reset the thumbnails by using the diskcleanup tool. I've tried troubleshooting and doing the sfc /scannow none of them are detecting anything. I don't know what to do. Halp.

:)

roxieno, Apr 5, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Apr 5, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Apr 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Things you might try:
    from an elevated (admin) command prompt (just as a routine check)
    chkdsk C: /F

Create a new user- do you see the same problems? If not, your user profile is corrupt.

An in-place upgrade repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This lets you keep everything, windows updates from the major build are redone, you need a boot medium of the same major build you have now.

dalchina, Apr 6, 2016
  5. roxieno Win User
    I did try making a new user account and the same things are still happening. I might try the other one you suggested though. Thanks for replying. *Smile

roxieno, Apr 6, 2016
  6. roxieno Win User
    So I've done a chkdsk and it didn't detect any problems. I've a run DISM tool too. and that didn't detect any problems either.

roxieno, Apr 7, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so the next option is an in-place repair install.

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 7, 2016
  8. roxieno Win User

OMG! Thank you so much! This worked!!! The personalization app is working now!! *Smile Then I found out that another app is generating my thumbnails for pictures that's why they're green. Just had that disabled and everything's fine now! Thank you again! *Biggrin You're awesome!!!

roxieno, Apr 9, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Excellent.. the repair technique is one of the good features of Win 10, although it won't fix everything of course.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Broken Thumbnail and Icon cache? - Similar Threads - Broken Thumbnail Icon

2. Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11: Hello,My desktop computer has the latest update for Windows 11, but sometimes the thumbnail cache becomes corrupted. I have rebuilt the thumbnail cache several times, but the problem persists. It happens repeatedly. What could be the reason for this? Due to this issue, I have...
  3. Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11: Hello,My desktop computer has the latest update for Windows 11, but sometimes the thumbnail cache becomes corrupted. I have rebuilt the thumbnail cache several times, but the problem persists. It happens repeatedly. What could be the reason for this? Due to this issue, I have...
  4. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  5. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  6. Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails Broken: Suddenly, Windows 10 Pro won't display an icon with a photo of pictures. It just shows a blank photo icon. I didn't touch anything in Settings and I've tried shutting down and rebooting, etc. - I've tried switching Views, etc., no relief. Thoughts?...
  7. How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10: Hi, I am facing problem as the Progress Bar keep running green after the optional windows update of KB455094 though I have deleted it but the problem remain same. Even Explorer can not be open unless I reboot computer whenever I have to access folders in Explorer....
  8. Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?: Hi. I have two SSDs in my laptop, one of which contains Windows and a few programs, and the other drive is Bitlocker encrypted and contains documents, pictures and games. I am noticing that just recently, my thumbnail cache has rebuilding itself quite frequently, often after...
  9. Missing Icons and Thumbnails - Already tried deleting cache

Missing Icons and Thumbnails - Already tried deleting cache: I have 2 computers that I recently rebuilt for 2 of our employees, and everything was working fine. Recently, we noticed that icons for several applications are all coming up as blank pages. Furthermore, icons that acted as thumbnails for JPG and PNG files (as an example) are...
  10. Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?: I was curious about the thumbnail cache and icon cache. Do these rebuild themselves after a feature update? I have a small issue with some icons. It so insignificant that I won’t bother manually rebuilding the icon cache but just wondered if a feature update forces something...