Windows 10: Browser Extensions Won’t Be Available in Windows 10 RTM

Discus and support Browser Extensions Won’t Be Available in Windows 10 RTM in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft confirmed at BUILD 2015 that the new Edge browser, which will be part of Windows 10, would also receive support for extensions, but there’s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 3, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Browser Extensions Won’t Be Available in Windows 10 RTM

Source

labeeman, May 3, 2015
  2. Mystere Win User

It would appear that Windows 10 will be a constantly evolving product. The first RTM release will have many lacking features that will get improved upon iteratively over time.

:)

Mystere, May 3, 2015
  3. When will their be extension support for the Microsoft Edge browser?

Many are frustrated that the Edge browser does not have extension support for things like the LastPass password manager! A browser should not be released without extension support since many are already using password managers and other extensions. Now that
    Microsoft will no longer update and continue Internet Explorer, the most current and secure Microsoft browser is Edge. Here is a notice from Lastpass:

Does LastPass support Windows 10 Edge ?

Microsoft Edge is the new, default browser available with Windows 10: Microsoft Edge | The Windows Browser & Internet Explorer

Microsoft has not yet announced extension support for Edge browser. As soon as we can, we will offer a LastPass extension for Windows 10 Edge.

The LastPass extension can be downloaded to any other browser on Windows 10. Simply visit our download page:
    Download LastPass | LastPass to install the extension in the browser toolbar in Internet Explorer 11, Firefox, Chrome, or Opera.

The web vault at
    www.LastPass.com
    can also be used on Edge to view your passwords any time.

If you are seeing any issues, please feel free to open a ticket with details on your issue and steps to reproduce.

PLEASE Microsoft get support asap for extensions like this! Thank you very much!

Ernie Mink, May 3, 2015
  4. Browser Extensions Won’t Be Available in Windows 10 RTM

Highlight search terms in a Windows 10 browser on Windows tablet.

This reply by a Microsoft "Support Engineer" turns out to be wrong. On Chrome, there is an extension called "Twinword Finder" that accomplishes much of what I was looking for.

I was wondering how a "Support Engineer" would have such an encyclopedic knowledge of all extensions on all browsers as to claim that the desired functionality was "not available in Windows 10 browsers". The "Support Engineer" presumably knew about what
    was available using Microsoft browsers on Windows 10, and gave an answer as if no other browsers existed, despite the situation with other browsers being prominently described in the original post.

"Support Engineers" such as the one who commented in this thread detract from the Microsoft Community by posting disinformation that is dismissive, wrong and misleading.

This post should be marked as the answer to the original post, but there is no provision for original posters to mark their own replies as answers.

Mickey Segal, May 3, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Personally, for me; I can do without add-ons. They're just another attack vector for malware. Specially when a trusted Dev sells it (he needs to pay the rent too) to someone else. All I need is a secure browser that is fast, let's me download and checks it with smartscreen.

Cliff S, May 3, 2015
  6. gzt7d8 Win User
    I agree, I use Chrome and there are only 2 extensions that I use and they are not that important, if I missed them...oh well. What I hope is that MS gets Edge a little more polished over the course of the next month.

gzt7d8, May 3, 2015
  7. Having no ad-block extension would decrease browsing satisfaction for sure. Also, Chrome-to-phone has been very convenient for me.

Delicieuxz, May 3, 2015
  8. linw Win User

The lack of an ad blocker wouldn't be good for me. I'll just use Chrome till I can see an advantage to swap to Edge.

linw, May 4, 2015
  9. IMO, surfing the Internet without a Script Blocker (e.g. NoScript) is asking for a whole world of hurt.

I don't want to have to create a backup HDD image before every visit to the Internet.

lehnerus2000, May 4, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    Why? I've never used one. It's never been an issue.

Mystere, May 4, 2015
  11. You must have incredible patience.
    The Internet is so slow, whenever I turn off script blocking or use IE.

When I swapped from IE6 to FF (in XP) my malware problems dropped off significantly.
    When I first installed NoScript (many years ago now) I was stunned at how much faster and nicer surfing the Internet was.
    Also after I installed NoScript, I've only ever seen false positives from my AV scans.

Whenever I'm forced to use IE (for any reason) and I try to surf the internet the way I do in FF/PM, I'm assaulted by ads and other automatic video clips, whose volumes have all been dialled up to 11.

So how do you stop:
    • Multiple different videos plus Flash ads, screaming at you when you open multiple tabs?
    • Activity loggers (e.g. Google Analytics, etc.) logging your activities?
    • Drive-by scripts installing crapware (or worse) on your PC?
    • XSS attacks?

lehnerus2000, May 4, 2015
  12. Cliff S New Member
    I don't know what Mystere uses, but I use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free for extra browser & JAVA protection and these in IE11:Attachment 18463 and of course the filtering icon in the address bar to control Flash on a per site basis(it remembers if you don't "clean" your system every time you use it... cookies have their uses, paranoia doesn't*Smile)
    I have no speed problems. IE11 is the fastest (secure) browser I've ever used except for Nitro(not so secure).

Cliff S, May 4, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

No, I simply refuse to use anything that is overly annoying. If the page has an advertising that is too annoying, or too many of them, I solve the problem by hitting the "close" button.

"Assaulted" is a bit hyperbolic don't you think? Are you physically being attacked?

Regardless, once again, I vote with my feet (or mouse button) as the case may be. Either I want the content bad enough that i'm willing to put up with it, or I'm not. It's that simple.

Why would I care about Google analytics? I use my browser with UAC and protected mode, so I don't have to worry about "drive by" crapware. I also use a browser that blocks XSS attacks, as most browsers do. If there is a page with that much flash, I close it. I don't need to be there.

Mystere, May 4, 2015
  14. Winuser Win User
    It doesn't bother me if browser extensions won't be available for Spartan/Edge. After testing Spartan I found no reason to switch from Pale Moon.

Winuser, May 5, 2015
  15. My method works for me, your method works for you and I guess that's all that matters. *Smile

They get added to my "list" of products and/or services to avoid.

I should have used "".
    Someone yelling in my ear is (IMO) not trying to be friendly.

It's not just Google.
    There seems to be a ridiculous number of "junk" scripts on the Internet these days.

That is what I find interesting about "surveillance".
    In the real world, most people would not put up with someone following them around, constantly recording everything they do.
    That sort of behaviour is illegal in a lot of countries.

Yet when it happens on the Internet, it's not illegal and a lot of people claim it's a "triumph of the Free Market".

lehnerus2000, May 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Browser Extensions Won’t Be Available in Windows 10 RTM - Similar Threads - Browser Extensions Won’t

2. WIndows 10 RTM Core

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 RTM Core: Hi, I bought a aftermarket notebook - razer blade pro 2017an operating system was Windows 10 enterprise hacked, i thinki scanned with some tools my system and found what in the bios there area key for window 10 RTM Core, can someone tell me how i can now use this key legally,...
  3. Windows 10 RTM CoreSingleLanguage

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 RTM CoreSingleLanguage: I have seconhand laptop that has a pre installed windows 10 home single language, I dont know its version I guest it's Windows 10 Version 1507.I do have a screenshot of its system please see the photo below. [ATTACH][ATTACH] Then my HDD fails and bring it to a technician...
  4. Admin Control and Browser Extension Help on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin Control and Browser Extension Help on Windows 10: I don't know if I should post this in the Windows help or Chrome, but for the time being I'm posting it here. I noticed that there was a downloaded extension in my Chrome browser that I've never downloaded or even heard of. I tried deleting it, but it says that my device...
  5. no browser available

in Cortana
    no browser available: I must have forgot how, I need to set a browser but I don't know how...what do I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-browser-available/86b197a3-de17-4f91-ad29-48ce8be5e196"
  6. myTube browser extension now available on Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    myTube browser extension now available on Microsoft Edge: myTube is a very popular but unofficial YouTube application developed for Windows 10 users. myTube is built on Microsoft Universal Windows Platform (UWP) and offers all the features available in the official YouTube application developed by Google. The myTube application has...
  7. Browser extensions disabled

in Browsers and Email
    Browser extensions disabled: I use various browsers on my computers associated with the different uses I put them to. On my Windows 10 machine, every time I launch Firefox, I find all of the extensions I have installed have been disabled. I have to re-enable them in settings and relaunch the browser....
  8. Microsoft Edge Browser Extension for Office Online Available for ....

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge Browser Extension for Office Online Available for ....: Microsoft Edge Browser Extension for Office Online Available for Fast Ring Testers [img] [img] It looks like Microsoft has added another browser extension in the Windows Store for their Microsoft Edge web browser. The Office Online browser extension for...
  9. Visual Studio 2015 RTM Now Available

in Windows 10 News
    Visual Studio 2015 RTM Now Available: Today Soma announced the availability of Visual Studio 2015 RTM and invited Brian Harry and others to talk about new features and experiences. You can watch the VS 2015 keynote or catch the recording on Channel 9 later. Additionally, we have over 60 on-demand videos on...
  10. resizable Start menu will be available in Windows 10 RTM

in Windows 10 News
    resizable Start menu will be available in Windows 10 RTM: But have no fear. For those of you wondering if Microsoft removed this option from Windows 10, it will be available once the operating system is released this summer. We here at WinBeta get quite a few emails asking us certain questions, and thankfully there are solid...