Windows 10: Browser Locked? Call This Number.

Discus and support Browser Locked? Call This Number. in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [img] A new form of browser locker has recently surfaced. Browser-lockers are websites or pop-ups that redirect the browser to a website that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Browser Locked? Call This Number.

Browser Locked? Call This Number. [​IMG]

Read more: RSA Blogs

:)

Cluster Head, Nov 24, 2015

2. Can't open Edge. I have the Call this number Hack.

Until Microsoft comes up with a proper patch for Edge:

Try this easy fix which was posted by bigtom9 here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/cant-close-edge-message-to-call-a-number-for-help/a83b7139-1553-4ee8-97d6-ce5a7163b55b?page=2&msgId=fd40fc53-c860-4250-8f15-f78b555f60a2

I went to Cortana set up a password I asked a question and asked witch browser to use I said edge it opened a window, I then clicked on the three dots it opened a window I clicked on history and deleted everything,I wasn't sure if it worked so I closed
    the browser and opened edge from my start menu , it worked no more pop ups or unwanted web sights. Thanks to all for your help! Edge works fine now.

UNQUOTE

Cheers,

J

Jsssssssss, Nov 24, 2015
  3. call this number

It is a common scam.

Tech Support Scamming through
    unsolicited phone calls, browser pop-ups and
    emails
    (aka
    Tech Support Scamming
    ) from "so-called Support Techs" advising
    "your computer is infected with malware",
    “All Your Files Are Encrypted"
    and other
    fake "alert messages"
    has become an increasing common scam tactic over the past several years. The scams may involve web pages with screenshots of fake Microsoft (Windows) Support messages, fake reports of suspicious activity, fake warnings of malware
    found on your computer,
    fake ransomware
    and fake
    BSODs
    all of which include a tech support phone number to call in order to fix the problem. If you call the phone number (or they called you), more nefarious scammers will talk their victims into allowing them remote control
    access of the computer so they can install a
    Remote Access Trojan
    in order to steal passwords and other sensitive personal information which could then be used to access bank accounts or steal a person's identity.

These are a few examples.

The scammer may claim to be affiliated with Microsoft or
    Windows Support
    . However, there have been reports of scammers claiming to be affiliated with major computer manufacturers such as
    Hewlett Packard, Lenovo and Dell, familiar security vendors like
    Symantec, Panda, McAfee, etc. and even popular
    ISPs.

For more information about how these scams work and resources to protect yourself, please read
    Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams...there
    are suggestions near the bottom for dealing with scams and a list of security scanning tools to use in case the usual methods do not resolve the problem or you allowed remote access into your computer.

quietman7 - MVP, Nov 24, 2015
  4. rfruth Win User

Browser Locked? Call This Number.

nasty stuff, tnx for the heads up *Think

rfruth, Nov 24, 2015
  5. Lol, been seeing those for the last week or so I guess. Real pita because you have to call up task manager to close the browser. Been hit on F.F., Opera, and Maxthon. As the article said, very easy to terminate via task manager but you lose all your tabs.

indianacarnie, Nov 24, 2015
  6. Thanks for letting us know about this

hTconeM9user, Nov 24, 2015
  7. dencal Win User
    The reason why I dumped Defender and installed Avira free.

dencal, Nov 25, 2015
  8. dencal Win User

Not possible to call up Task Manager.
    To rectify this locked browser close down computer, disconnect internet connection, then restart computer to delete offending locked page.
    Reconnecting back to internet will show all clear.

dencal, Nov 25, 2015
  9. linw Win User
    Indeed, thanks for the headsup.

10. Is this caused by a hijacked webpage (or link on a webpage) or is something downloaded to your PC?

lehnerus2000, Nov 25, 2015
  11. Thank you for the heads up. *Smile

nomadgamer13, Nov 25, 2015
  12. dencal Win User
    It is the browser that is high jacked which means whilst you have an internet connection it remains live.
    By closing your internet connection, then deleting the offending page before you reconnect to the internet, you render the high jacker cleared.
    Nothing is downloaded onto the computer

dencal, Nov 25, 2015
  13. gtspeck Win User

Thanks for the heads up, great solution.*Smile

gtspeck, Nov 25, 2015
  14. Thanks for the clarification. *Smile

lehnerus2000, Nov 25, 2015
  15. batlhilz Win User
    sup with this problem? never seen this sort of stuff

batlhilz, Nov 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Browser Locked? Call This Number. - Similar Threads - Browser Locked Call

2. Locked Computer scam: What repercussions if I called the number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked Computer scam: What repercussions if I called the number: Hi, this was definitely asked before and after looking at some of the responses I wanted to follow up as I had a few concerns based on my experience. My computer screen was locked and I was not able to escape or use my keyboard much, although my mouse was working. I had an...
  3. Locked Computer scam: What repercussions if I called the number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked Computer scam: What repercussions if I called the number: Hi, this was definitely asked before and after looking at some of the responses I wanted to follow up as I had a few concerns based on my experience. My computer screen was locked and I was not able to escape or use my keyboard much, although my mouse was working. I had an...
  4. my computer says locked and to call a number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer says locked and to call a number: an error message of your computer is locked and to call a number * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-says-locked-and-to-call-a-number/0deb980e-c911-46c5-b915-e8dddd252b16
  5. my computer says locked and to call a number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer says locked and to call a number: an error message of your computer is locked and to call a number * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-says-locked-and-to-call-a-number/0deb980e-c911-46c5-b915-e8dddd252b16
  6. the Number lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    the Number lock: My computer keeps turning off the number lock during startup or restart and after an update. How can I fix that? is there a way to use command Prompt to keep it turned on all the time?...
  7. Browser location locked computer orders me to call in to windows

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser location locked computer orders me to call in to windows: Browser automatically locked computer with message allegedly from windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/browser-location-locked-computer-orders-me-to-call/17a30c5c-aae7-4e79-99d7-0280c9e4f061
  8. Loud alarm and message that computer is locked for security - call this number ...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Loud alarm and message that computer is locked for security - call this number ...: I call the number which is to a company called Global Mind IT Services claiming to be working for Microsoft. They want to clean my computers and network and provide long term protection for what seems a very large fee. A very pushy sales talk. Is this legit?...
  9. Number lock

in Windows 10 Support
    Number lock: Ever since I got my new computer hard drive and the most current Windows 10, my number lock key on keyboard's right panel defaults to scroll lock after each boot up. I'd like it to default to number lock, as that's the only way I use these number keys, and often, so would be...
  10. Call in number

in Windows 10 Customization
    Call in number: who can i call to get help with opening up my computer from the log-in screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/call-in-number/474250b8-0250-428e-b164-4912d4a023b4